10 gallon lawn
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 06-14-2004, 03:19 AM   #1
fishiesrule
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

10 gallon lawn

hey, i would like to create a lawn in my tank. I wanted a grassy type lawn and i was thinking dwarf hairgrass or micro swords. I dont know which one to choose or if there are any other grassy like plants that would look nice as a lawn. BTW i have 26 watts flourescent and DIY Co2, i know i need more light, oh yea also any light fixture suggestions??? i am pretty low on funds (practically broke) so any cheap lighting suggestions out there!? oh yea and i have eco-complete as my substrate.
fishiesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2004, 03:26 PM   #2
trenac
Wannabe Guru

Dwarf Hairgrass makes a great foreground lawn. It does like higher light but I have heard of others having success with it in lower lighting conditions. Give it a try.

I assume you just have a regular flourescent bulb that came with the 10G setup if so swich it out for a plant bulb (6500K-10000k).
Old 06-15-2004, 08:12 PM   #3
fishiesrule
Algae Grower

they're the screw in bulbs at 13 watts each, i was thinking about getting the 20" coralife which is 28 watts, is that enough light to grow a lawn and keep it low at like about 2 or 3in?
Old 06-15-2004, 08:20 PM   #4
trenac
Wannabe Guru

If you get a Coralife PC fixture with 28 watts that will give you almost 3 WPG, which should give you enough to grow a short lawn.
Old 06-16-2004, 03:46 AM   #5
Rosko_22
Planted Member

Why don't you get a couple 19 or 23 watt screw-in cfs. I got a couple 23 watt philips "daylight" bulbs from home depot, $11 ea. cdn., for my 20 gal.
Rosko_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 04:59 AM   #6
fishiesrule
Algae Grower

well, im still using the full hood that came with my 10 gal kit and i also have a glass hood so the full hood doesnt really fit right, and i think its time for an upgrade! Any other suggestions for light though because the 20" coralife comes with saltwater bulbs so ill have to buy freshwater bulbs which would be a total waste of money
Old 06-16-2004, 11:45 AM   #7
trenac
Wannabe Guru

Coralife now makes a freshwater fixture. Some places still don't carry it but a lot do. So just keep looking I am sure you will find one.
Old 06-16-2004, 02:43 PM   #8
Stranger
Algae Grower

I didn't know that coralife had a 20" strip light. I've seen the 24", which would give you a little overhang, that has 65 watts.

Here's a quick link: http://www.marineandreef.com/shoppro...ght_fresh.html
Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 08:38 PM   #9
fishiesrule
Algae Grower

yea, thats why i dont really like having a 20" tank, i mean i could pay like 10 bucks more and get a 24" fixture with more than twice the light and freshwater bulbs, but it wouldnt fit my tank :c. back to the lawn, how should i plant the dwarf hairgrass, do i have to do it one by one like glosso (i hope not) or can i just plant them as they are?
Old 06-16-2004, 11:48 PM   #10
trenac
Wannabe Guru

I would plant the Hairgrass by pulling it apart somewhat but you do not have to do it one by one.
Old 06-18-2004, 07:52 PM   #11
fishiesrule
Algae Grower

Thanks for all the info guys! Hairgrass lawn here i come!!!
Old 06-25-2004, 03:51 PM   #12
sparkysko
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to sparkysko Send a message via AIM to sparkysko Send a message via MSN to sparkysko Send a message via Yahoo to sparkysko

I would definetly try to plant it in small bunches (3-4 blades of 'grass' for each bunch). If you bunch them together in a large clump, algae would quickly spread. They creep with a rhizome, so each connected bunch should shoot off in at least one direction. If you split it up, you'll get more offshoot directions. Problem is, that they fall out of the gravel really easily, especially if you have fish that bug them (My gourami likes to rip it out and make a nest ).

Plant it right the first time, so it won't fall out, or you won't have to move it, as it seems to be much more sensitive to being bothered than any other plant I've messed with. Based on a post I read, and my experience, it doesn't seem like it it will bother to grow additional roots where it already has some. The new roots seem to only grow where the new shoots are, so it's a pain to anchor it, since you have to wait for new rhizome growth before it happens.

If you live in the U.S. I'd check the local walmart. I've seen what appears to be 3 or 4 different types of the hairgrass. The giant, and 3 of the smaller types. Most of the time, the offerings are crap, although occassionally, you'll find a ridiculously pristine example...

Microsword's haven't given me any luck. All the 'leaves' didn't like the high lighting I had, and quickly grew furry algae on them (algae didn't spread to anything but them). It was *very* slow for new shoots to come out, and even then, it wasn't as impressive.

Although probably not the look you are wanting to acquire, but narrow leaf chain sword seems to spread ridiculously quick, I'd give it a look if all else fails.
sparkysko is offline   Reply With Quote