I picked up some Red Star Pasteur Champagne yeast at the local homebrew shop and tried it in the Hagen system since the packets that came with it were ancient and apparently non-functional. Results with this yeast were rather disappointing as well, i.e., some CO2, but not much even after 24 hours. Is this yeast just slower getting started or is it old as well? No expiration date on the packet, but they did have it stowed in the fridge at the brew shop. Am currently running with Fleischmann's (sp?) which seems to be doing just fine. I did install a bubble counter/CO2 scrubber in-line just to be on the safe side. I may experiment with gelatine as well to see if I can slow/stabilize the output since I'm only dealing with an 8 gallon tank. I tried "proofing" the champagne yeast last night according to the instructions on the Fleischmann's packet, and while I did see some activity the results were still less than optimal. Maybe I just need to up the amount of yeast added (was using 1/4 teaspoon). My acid as all get-out well water may be playing havoc with the yeast as well. I used bottled water in the batch that is now running respectably. Apologies for the ramble....
Last edited by zapus; 06-19-2004 at 04:22 PM..