Finnex 4 Gallon - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 03-24-2009, 09:59 PM   #31
Outlawboss
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (35/100%)

Something called a Solar Duo Boy. 26 watt fixture but the bulb itself says 24 watt. Saw it at the LFS and thought it was perfect. Here's a link to their site. As far as I can tell, I'm the only one running one on the nano forums.

Aside from the green algae, I'm so far free from other nasties like hair, BBA etc.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:09 PM   #32
bsmith
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)

Nice light, I wish I could get one of those bulbs down here for my mini-m. It looks like that petiete is getting some BBA on it. I had issues with BBA in my nano with a slightly bigger tank with a little less light. Just keep co2 up and constant with a photoperiod of 8-9 hours and algea should never be an issue.
bsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 10:24 PM   #33
Outlawboss
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You know, I bet they still have them at the LFS here. I could pick one up and get it to you if you like. So far I've been really happy with mine. And, it was only $32!

The nana was pretty sad when I put it in the tank. It already had some BBA (from another tank). Luckily the Amano's I put in there have been happily cleaning it off for me. I have a nice shiny new leaf even.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:26 PM   #34
bsmith
Planted Tank Guru

I would be interested in just the bulb. Currently I have a 23w 6500w GE spiral fluorescent in it. If you open the Mini-M journal in my sig you can see the desk lamp im using.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlawboss View Post
You know, I bet they still have them at the LFS here. I could pick one up and get it to you if you like. So far I've been really happy with mine. And, it was only $32!

The nana was pretty sad when I put it in the tank. It already had some BBA (from another tank). Luckily the Amano's I put in there have been happily cleaning it off for me. I have a nice shiny new leaf even.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:43 PM   #35
Outlawboss
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Gotcha. The bulb in this one is says its a Shin Mao ES-11D65. 24 watt 6500k. Not sure where I'd find that sucker if I needed a replacement!

Love your Mini-M by the way. I've been watching that thread for a long time now. The spray bar you have in there is pretty sweet.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:44 PM   #36
Fishwood
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

This tank looks awesome, one of my favs.

Makes mine look like a turd.
Fishwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 10:45 PM   #37
bsmith
Planted Tank Guru

This will help you figure it out.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:22 PM   #38
Outlawboss
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishwood View Post
This tank looks awesome, one of my favs.

Makes mine look like a turd.
Wow thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith782
This will help you figure it out.
Absolutely!
Old 03-27-2009, 07:26 AM   #39
Outlawboss
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Added 2 CRS today. My first experience with them but so far, I love em. They look like little peppermints to me, but alive and cooler.

I know you've all seen a million shrimp pictures but I can't resist a couple more.

On a side note, as I was looking at these I realized my HC is looking really healthy since the addition of the Amanos. They are doing their job in a big way.

Old 03-27-2009, 01:04 PM   #40
btmarquis
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I love those finnex tanks. Great job. How is the algae going? Ive got a newly setup 10 gallon, and I have some thread algae starting to show up. I have some amanos on the way, and I hope they are hungry little critters.
Old 03-27-2009, 05:37 PM   #41
Outlawboss
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by btmarquis View Post
I love those finnex tanks. Great job. How is the algae going? Ive got a newly setup 10 gallon, and I have some thread algae starting to show up. I have some amanos on the way, and I hope they are hungry little critters.
Algae is under much better control. The Amano shrimp really helped with that, but I also attribute it to letting it run it's course. You'll love the Amanos though, really hard workers and fun to watch. I still have some GDA on the sides of the tank that I'm resisting the urge to scrape off.

I refreshed my bag of purigen last night and when I came in this morning, crystal clear water. Love it.
Old 04-03-2009, 08:02 AM   #42
Outlawboss
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Wow! I totally scored today. I try to hit the LFS on Thursdays when they get their new batch of fish. The one I like here in San Diego (Aquatic Warehouse) is great at getting their hands on rare and weird fish. I was finishing off the fauna with some Endler's Livebearers and a few more CRS and Amanos when I came across these guys in a random tank. Never seen them before...ever. I think they were called Dwarf Bumblebee Otto's. I'll have to go back and check tomorrow, forgot my reciept! This is supposed to be about as big as he will get. He's got the characteristic otto shape, but looks like he's mixed with a pleco or something. Anyway, I thought he was one of the coolest looking otto's I've ever seen. Lets not mention $, he was worth it.

Total fauna should be finished now for a total of:

2 Endler's Livebearers (male)
1 Otto
4 CRS
6 Amanos
2-3 random hitch-hiker snails

Sorry for the GDA and GSA. I have been neglecting cleaning the sides of the tank because there are some Amano babies cruising around. I know they'll perish, but they're still fun to watch and probably nice food for the Endler's.

My new brightly colored fishie friend.

Yep, they still look like peppermints to me. Love it!

I always like this view of the tank for some reason.

FTS. I know, it's pretty dirty on the equipment and the sides of the tank. But there is surprisingly little algae in there. Amano's are doing their job, not that I want to rely on them entirely but they're busy little guys.
Old 04-03-2009, 02:16 PM   #43
ZooTycoonMaster
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)

Wow your tank is awesome!
Eheim Pimp #341

ZooTycoonMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 07:49 PM   #44
Outlawboss
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks, Zoo
Old 04-10-2009, 04:46 AM   #45
Outlawboss
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Just a weekly update. Things seem to be going well overall. I got a nice new nano diffuser that I will use to replace that monster spiro diffuser. I love the integrated bubble counter but it's pretty dang big for a nano tank.

I also noticed that the HC is yellowing some in spots. I wonder if that's just a normal progression or if perhaps I need to start dosing more. Nitrates have gone to almost zero in the water column, but that doesn't mean they're not there in the substrate. So I'm not sure about that one, so advice is welcome!

The weirdest thing started happening this week though, it seems that my CRS (I think) have been nibbling on my Mayaca Fluviatilis. I've not noticed up to now. So far I have not supplemented the shrimp diet with anything other than the small fish flakes I feed my endler's. Is that enough? What the heck would make them want to chew my greenery? Has anyone else had this?

Anyway, a couple pics. I promise to clean the rest of the GSA tomorrow night, after which I will post a nice FTS.

Can you see where they nibbled it? It's a fair amount of leaves that have been chewed!

Just another shot of my favorite little otto. He's was smiling I swear!