Finnex 4 Gallon - Page 12
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 12-29-2009, 06:42 AM   #166
Outlawboss
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (35/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by twister23 View Post
so was that light $200? I know I have to at least change the bulb. do you have any bulb recommendations?
Sorry I missed this post. No the light is only $60 at AFA. I think the extra bulbs are $14 a piece. So not too bad.

Old 12-29-2009, 07:00 AM   #167
MARIMOBALL
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

what a nice tank . Didplis is one o my favorite plants. I like the way you manage to keep an all green plant tank and yet each plants has its own shade o green. I have read your entire journal and was nice to see this tank evolution.

http://socalaquascapers.com/
MARIMOBALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 03:48 PM   #168
rrrrramos
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (39/100%)

If you go with a background, go with the black. It makes everything pop more than the other two. Do you find that the D. diandra grows pretty easy to manage or is it more of a fast stem? I had some at one point but it was only short trimming that died quickly. Beautiful plant though, and I've always been a huge fan of your tank!
Old 12-29-2009, 04:49 PM   #169
Outlawboss
Planted Tank Enthusiast

MARIMOBALL, thanks for the compliments. Hey do you go to the SCAPE meetings? I've been waiting for one in San Diego but it seems like that doesn't happen too often.

rrrrramos
, I think I agree. The black background was the best. The others kind of caught a reflection off the plants and it make the lighting look weird. D. Diandra is one of my favs also. I have it in both of my tanks. It's a fast grower, but not as fast as some of the others (like a quickly growing rotala). Trimming is easy, cut off the tops and either replant them, toss them or sell them on the S&S.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:40 AM   #170
MARIMOBALL
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

Yes I attend most SCAPE meetings they are great and you meet new people that are in the hobby once you go you will be hooked. We had 3 San Diego meetings this year and there is always an SD carpool. This month one member volunteered to carpool and no one came with him.

http://socalaquascapers.com/
MARIMOBALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 06:23 PM   #171
Outlawboss
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'll have to keep my eyes open for the next San Diego get together!

Last edited by Outlawboss; 01-02-2010 at 03:40 AM..
Outlawboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 09:33 PM   #172
VincentK
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Wow, fantastic tank and pictures, love the shrimp, whatever happened to those amanos? Do those not reproduce well?
Old 01-16-2010, 10:26 PM   #173
Outlawboss
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks VincentK. The amanos are still there. I've got 4 very large ones in there. They do get eggs and lay them in this tank, but the babies won't live in freshwater. They need brackish/saltier water, but I've never really read the full details. If I could figure out how to raise the babies though. I'd have about a zillion of them because my 2 females are constantly berried.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:38 PM   #174
EdTheEdge
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Drop dead gorgeous tanks these......
Old 01-19-2010, 05:04 AM   #175
chumblaka
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

I don't know if this has been asked before but what kind of substrate are you using? This thread made me buy a finnex off eBay on impulse. Great tank and I can't wait till I get mines. Also I might go with DIY CO2 on mines, but what was the cost breakdown for doing the paintball CO2?
chumblaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 01:41 PM   #176
Ugly Genius
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

I love the look of the moss and the MP on the left-side rock in your thirty. I'd like to steal that look one day and do a rockscape with mosses and MP on tall, sharp, narrow, and jaggy rocks.

The four's looking really nice, Outlaw! Besides all the obvious stuff that's rad -- the 'scape, plant choices, photos, et cetera -- I'm impressed that you're able to keep all these fast and wild-growing plants in check. I think most of us in this hobby can recognize that this neatly-maintained tank is the consequence of lots and lots of effort. Good job!
Ugly Genius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 07:18 PM   #177
Outlawboss
Planted Tank Enthusiast

chumblaka - Wow this tank made you want the Finnex? That's....well that's awesome! Thanks very much. In answer to your question I'm using Amazonia substrate. It's what they happened to have at the LFS when I got it, and so far it's served me well.

DIY Co2 is definitely cheaper than paintball to start with, but as a personal preference I don't like mixing yeast solutions. I like the consistency of pressurized so I always recommend the paintball option. You can get into it for about $150 total. That's for a paintball cylinder, diffuser, tubing and a cheap regulator with built-in solenoid.

UGThanks a lot dude. You're right about them growing fast. I have to trim and replant every week, but it's therapudic. These last two posts made me kind of laugh. Here you have one guy who says that my Finnex inspired him to get a tank. Then, the very next post, you have the guy (well one of them, between you and Craigthor) who inspired ME to get a tank. I just think that's hella cool that they were in that order.

That moss/MP on the wood looks even better now that it's grown in. I'd love to see it on a jagged landscape like you described. Sounds awesome.

More pictures since I had the camera with me yesterday. Oh, and I got some close-ups of a pregnant Amano for you VincentK, if you happen to read this. Nothing has really changed. Added some Fissidens but that's about it. It's fun experimenting with what type of shots I can get in such a small tank.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:38 PM   #178
Gabriel
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

lovely picture on your tank but what are you planning on stocking next.

Last edited by Gabriel; 01-19-2010 at 11:48 PM..
Gabriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 10:05 PM   #179
chumblaka
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Hmmm, all the LFS around here suck, I've found one that has Eco-Complete for pretty expensive but that's about it for substrates. Also if that Amano gives birth I'll be happy to buy some of the little shrimps, they don't sell those around here either.
chumblaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 11:32 PM   #180
Outlawboss
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks Gabriel for the compliments. I'm not sure I understand the question? You mean what fish will I get? I have an endlers in there for now. I really like them for this tank. They're nice and active and they don't bother the baby shrimp too much.

chumblaka, I wish I could get those Amano babies to live. I'm just not equipped for it. I see them hatch, but they're gone within a day or two. They need a brackish/saltwater type setup to live in for awhile. Maybe I SHOULD set one up. Seems like a lot of people here would like Amanos.