20 gallon high lighting
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 02-16-2003, 02:10 AM   #1
williamrick
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I am beginning the process of going with live plants for the first time. The light hood I have only accepts the one 18 inch 15 watt fluorescent bulb. Everything I read indicates I probably need more wattage. Any guidance?
williamrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2003, 03:04 PM   #2
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

I've also got a 20 gallon high, although I'm using it for a Reef tank. I tried retrofitting the original canopy with Power Compacts, but even if you can get a 24" 55 watt bulb to fit, it will most likely overheat the plastic housing and melt it. A 36 watt would fit easily, though, and shouldn't be difficult to cool with a few venting slots cut into the housing. But a single 36w light would still only provide marginally adequate lighting to grow plants with low to medium lighting demands.

I eventually bult a wood canopy and stuck four 18" tubes run by a single 4-F32T8 ballast for a total of 60 watts (3 wpg) and am very pleased. If you're fairly competent with a set of wire strippers and interested in wiring up one of these, shoot me an email at sponjican@oreck.com and I'll walk you through it.

My instinct is always to do it yourself and jury-rig it, hehe, so if you want a straightforward canopy with adequate lighting, just buy one of these:

23" Plastic Lighthouse Compact Aquarium Light, 1 bulb 55 Watt $55.00
Old 02-17-2003, 04:46 PM   #3
williamrick
Algae Grower

Looks like I am going to do a DIY with a power compact kit from ahsupply. Looks like the light kit will sit on a glass top. Are these available or is it cheaper to go cut my own. Of course if anyone has any other suggestions about my intentions please let me know. Thanks
Old 02-17-2003, 04:51 PM   #4
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

The AHsupply kit needs a custom built wood canopy, or an adequately sized housing to mount the bulb, ballast and reflector to.

The $55 strip light on the pet liquidators link I posted is complete and ready to go, including your choice of bulb. They even have a Plant Growth bulb with half red and half white tubes.
Old 02-17-2003, 08:56 PM   #5
williamrick
Algae Grower

Explain the specs on the light. 10,000K seems high from what I have read. Just curious.
Old 02-17-2003, 10:18 PM   #6
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

Normally, a single 10,000K bulb would be too "blue" for a planted tank since plants also need strong "red" output and a 10,000K bulb has very little red output.
These bulbs are half 10,000K and half red. So you are getting the best of both worlds.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.