SpiroGyra Algae - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 05-21-2009, 01:55 AM   #31
oldpunk78
/)ಠ_ಠ(\

PTrader: (106/100%)

i just found out i have Spirogyra in my tank. woo hoo!

i also just went through this thread and thought i would share what is happening with my tank.

i read somewhere that Spirogyra thrives in the same conditions plants do. so... i guess that sucks, lol.

anyway, about seven months ago i sent up my 1st planted tank(29g). eco complete substrate, 48 watts t5ho lighting, low flow fluval filter, and minimal ferts(just seachem nitrigen, phosphorous, and comprehensive + excel). add to mix some diy co2.

those first six months i experienced diatoms(badly, then went away), bga(which i managed to get rid of by using 'blue-green algae remover' and fixing some N and flow issues) and lastly, staghorn and maybe some bba(i think just staghorn - i had the two confused). never at any time did i have Spirogyra.

tore it down.

set it back up again with everything the same except this time i used aquasoil and am dosing potassium and iron (along with the before mentioned ferts.)

the only algae so far is Spirogyra and a little diatom which i was expecting at first. i am having some success with spot dosing excel.

so i guess what i should of learned here is that perhaps i'm dosing too much potassium and maybe iron?

any thoughts?

all i can think of is stop dosing the potassium and iron and keep up the spot dosing with the excel.
oldpunk78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2009, 10:17 PM   #32
sunfire99
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)

I can add myself to the list of unfortunate victims as well. I began the treatment outlined in this thread and will post results. 1mL Excel per gallon, starting with 1.5mL of H202, 5 hrs lighting, no ferts, CO2 running normally and water changes daily. My tank is new, and on the tail end of a cycle, so I'm hoping just finishing the ammonia/nitrite cycle will help get rid of this stuff.
Victor Pimp #34
sunfire99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 12:22 AM   #33
markalot
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Have you tried Platys? I had this forever in a 15 gallon and after moving 3 female platys into it the algae is gone. Of course something else might have changed, but I didn't purposely change anything except adding the fish.
Old 05-23-2009, 12:57 AM   #34
sunfire99
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by markalot View Post
Have you tried Platys? I had this forever in a 15 gallon and after moving 3 female platys into it the algae is gone. Of course something else might have changed, but I didn't purposely change anything except adding the fish.
I haven't tried them yet. I just found I had it and today began treatment to try to get it in check. I did read in a number of places that Platys will eat it if made hungry. If no change after a few days doing this, I'll have to think about adding some.
Victor Pimp #34
Old 05-23-2009, 05:42 PM   #35
plantbrain
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (257/100%)

Blackout for 3 days and good basic conditions, water changes took care of two local cases pretty effectively.

Regards,
tom barr
Old 05-23-2009, 07:33 PM   #36
sunfire99
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantbrain View Post
Blackout for 3 days and good basic conditions, water changes took care of two local cases pretty effectively.

Regards,
tom barr
Thanks for the info. After even more reading about it, I blacked out this morning, and planned to leave it that way for a few days. My only concern is some stems that were just put into the tank. The threads I have are already shorter after 48 hours of treatments though, so I was hoping a blackout would finish it off without additional chemicals. Any opinion on the chemicals, if I should keep using them or not?
Victor Pimp #34
Old 05-24-2009, 08:53 PM   #37
sunfire99
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thought I'd post an update. Almost 48 hours of blackout and today being the third day of heavy doses of Excel/H202 and the algae has receded about 75% so far. I'll continue blackout through tomorrow and dose Excel/H202 tomorrow. On Tuesday, I plan to give the tank 5 or 6 hours of light, some fertilizers and CO2, then continue that for a few days watching to see how the Spyrogyra behaves. What there is left of the threads seem to be lifeless as was posted in this thread before. All plants and fish seem to be doing well with no signs of plants dying (other than the Corkscrew Vals melting) or fish discomfort. Looks like I did burn one patch of Blyxa where I heavily spot treated but that can be trimmed out later.
Victor Pimp #34
Old 05-28-2009, 10:31 PM   #38
sunfire99
Planted Tank Obsessed

As of today, I can't find any of this crap left where it had been. There is a small amount of totally dead threads clinging to a rock but it is brown and falling apart and only about 1/2" long. I actually used a magnifying glass to have a good look for it where it had popped up, and absolutely no sign of it except that dead patch. My thanks to those who posted their experiences in this thread. That treatment seems harsh but worked for me as well.
Victor Pimp #34
Old 05-30-2009, 05:59 AM   #39
oldpunk78
/)ಠ_ಠ(\

PTrader: (106/100%)

i though i might as well share what happened with my case.

i stopped the potassium and iron. no black out. excel as normal.

it's all gone.

did i get lucky?
oldpunk78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 07:04 PM   #40
Retzius
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I'll add myself to the list, just saw spirogyra a few days ago.

Tank ada 90p has been setup for two weeks with aquasoil. Probable cause is an ammonia spike from the soil. Plan to use the methods here. Hopefully I can eradicate it. Going to pick up some excel.
Retzius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 11:15 PM   #41
Bonefish
Planted Member

PTrader: (22/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Bonefish

All aboard the spirogyra train! Toot toot!

My 1.5 gallon has an infestation. I thought my first blackout zapped it, but there must have been some left-- it to regenerated with vigor. It's crazy how fast this stuff grows back. Most of the algae is in my HC and on the aquasoil.

I'm going to try another 80% H20 change tonight + manual removal followed by 3 day blackout with Excel overdosing. After that, 5 hr photoperiod until I'm sure it's gone. I've got some cherry shrimp coming in a few days, and I think I'll throw an Amano in with them.

Fingers crossed.
Tank graveyard:
2.5 gal betta iwagumi :: 1.5 gal shrimp forest :: 2.5 gal low tech
Bonefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:01 PM   #42
Bonefish
Planted Member

PTrader: (22/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Bonefish

Update: Spirogyra is the Lex Luthor of algae. After blackout #2 + 1 ml Excel/gallon, there's still algae in the tank! I'm going to keep going with 1 ml Excel/gallon, reduced photoperiod, and no K/Fe for the next week. If that doesn't work, I'm surrendering.
Tank graveyard:
2.5 gal betta iwagumi :: 1.5 gal shrimp forest :: 2.5 gal low tech
Bonefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:07 PM   #43
F22
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Has anyone ever just tried adding some type of african cichlid to graze on it until it is gone. I would imagine tropheus or pseudotropheus would make short work of it.
F22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:48 PM   #44
Retzius
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Update: I found the cure!!!

On Monday I added two small flagfish and as soon as I added them they started eating the Spirogyra algae. The next day when the lights came on at least 50% of the algae was gone.

So if your having troubles and the chemical warfare is not helping try a few flagfish. I watch these guys yank the threads and gobble up really long strands like spaghetti with my own eyes. Also, don't feed your flagfish. Mine have not eaten since I got them on Monday.
Retzius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 01:53 AM   #45
nkambae
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Default what he said

I had spyro in my 55 until I added flagfish and they did seem to enjoy eating it. No more spyro since their addition.

stu