Controling my 4 gal nano
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 06-11-2004, 09:28 AM   #1
GraemeK
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to GraemeK

Controling my 4 gal nano

Hey,

I've got a very small all in one 4 gal nano tank with a 8watt T8 style powerglo tube and a built in filter. The tank has been filled with a plant substrate called aqua grit and has been semi planted for about 2 1/2 months. I've had some brown alage form but nothing serious. The Crypts i had in there did ok but wernt really doing much probably because i have no livestock to produce food for them?

Anyways i've planted it up now with stem cuttings of various fast growing hardy species. I want to introduce some small fish tomorrow. Do you all think i'll run into alage blooms when these fish start to produce waste? I havent any CO2 in this tiny tank just light and a good substrate. I want to create a dense affect.

cheers...
GraemeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2004, 05:09 AM   #2
audiotaylor
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to audiotaylor

Theres no way to tell for sure if you'd get an algae bloom. Id say go for it, If you havent already, and see what happens. Worst case you would get one, but it would go away once the plants grew some more and were able to use all the excess nitrates.

Did you add the fish yet? Anything happen so far?
-David
Old 06-14-2004, 12:04 PM   #3
GraemeK
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to GraemeK

Hi

I went ahead and bought 6 tiny gloeye's and 1 oto. I also bought a small CO2 unit for it to really boost things. It has roughly 2wpg but i know this is a very rough guide.

I started feeding today and the flake food was consumed very quickly so i know there shouldnt be too much waste...

If i can get the plants pearling well i should see some good results, we'll see!

cheers
GraemeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 04:25 PM   #4
Aphyosemion
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Aphyosemion

Just make sure to cycle the tank a lot (twice a week or so) for the first month or so. Algae is a big problem in new tanks until the plants get fully matured. They say you are supposed to let the plants get firmly rooted before adding fish to keep your algae down, but I always get impatient and add my fish at about the same time as my plants. What usually ends up happening is a big algae explosion, followed by a slow dieout as the plants begin growing.
Aphyosemion is offline   Reply With Quote