Bala Shark Vs Tiger Barb
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 02-11-2009, 09:13 PM   #1
LeTigra
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Bala Shark Vs Tiger Barb

Ok. Maybe I've always been asking for trouble......
I've kept Bala sharks with my Tigers for coming up 3 years. Never had a problem. But now one of my semi-adult Tigers has started attacking my biggest Bala shark. The shark is probably 7/8 inches. I have 11 Tigers, 3 sharks. All in my 79gal along with various others. I've been blaming my lone Serpae tetra for some fin damage on the shark but a few days ago I saw one of the Tigers repeatedly butting and nipping the big shark, and have seen it done since. Today when I came home from work, the poor guy actually has scales missing and a small chunk out of one side along with the fin damage.

What am I supposed to do? Its either the Tigers or the Sharks. One of my sharks I've only had since Saturday (not the one being picked on!) and I've been considering getting another as well to make them happier. But I love my Tigers and half of them were a (wanted) birthday present off my other half.

What would you do? I haven't space for another tank..... I think.....
Whats the minimum size for a Tiger Barb shoal anyway?

Arghhhh!!!!! I'm torn between the two!!!!!
Please excuse my spelling and lack of paragraphs - its my phone's fault! 80gal low light planted tiger barb/columbian tetra/BN plec tank 29gal just changing to heavily planted low tech, lots of bogwood causing "natural" terraces, pebbles, sand, pair of GBRs, ember tetras and otocinclus. Eek! Can't wait til its finished!
LeTigra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2009, 01:30 AM   #2
DarioDario
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

Your gonna have to choose between the two inevitably. And that Bala is going to outgrow that tank eventually so you might as well stick with your barbs and relocate the bala.
DarioDario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 06:06 PM   #3
newshound
Planted Tank Enthusiast

research before you buy!!!!!
both fish are better in large schools
bala need a LARGE tank.
Old 02-12-2009, 06:42 PM   #4
cjp999
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Also consider what else you have in your tank. You mentioned fish other than the balas and tigers. Will the tigers ever harass them? Will the balas ever eat them?
cjp999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 07:39 PM   #5
LeTigra
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newshound View Post
research before you buy!!!!!
both fish are better in large schools
bala need a LARGE tank.
Hmmmmm.....
Ok. When you're new to the hobby, you tend to trust the advice of petstore staff as you know no better. Ever since I was young, tiger barbs and bala sharks were "community fish" that could live happily ever after together in the same tank. When I decided 4 years ago that I wanted to start keeping fish, I went to these store staff and asked their opinions. Little did I know that a lot of them feel no obligation to give FACTUAL information to a newb that they can screw for money.
So there's me with my brand new tank and some Tiger Barbs. I was even sold a common plec to go in my nice new CLEAN tank. When I found a nice sized Bala shark, in he went too. No problems. Nothing. Nada. I have kept that shark with Tiger barbs for nearly 3 years. I have had NO problems. This is my experience. Not so much as fin damage.
I am aware that Bala sharks need to live in groups - I found this out recently which is why I have been slowly increasing the number to try to improve the life of that same shark. I currently have 3. I was aiming for 5 but finding Balas at a decent size is not easy so its taking a little while. Admittedly - my bad on the tank size. I honestly thought 48 x 20 x 20" was ample space, but clearly I'm wrong and I'm willing to admit that.

But I really don't think that its necessary to SHOUT. I'm an adult. I can only assume that you, too, are an adult, and I was seeking advice. I did not expect to be condemned to the "irresponsible pet owner" corner. I am all for researching species before I buy them. Back when I first put the Bala with the Tigers I thought I HAD done my research. NOW I know better. I am sure I am not the first person to have mis-matched species on the basis of petstore advice, and I definitely will not be the last.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjp999 View Post
Also consider what else you have in your tank. You mentioned fish other than the balas and tigers. Will the tigers ever harass them? Will the balas ever eat them?
Luckily, I have a penchant for semi-aggressive fish, apart from the Balas obviously, so my other fish will have no problem with the Tigers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarioDario View Post
Your gonna have to choose between the two inevitably. And that Bala is going to outgrow that tank eventually so you might as well stick with your barbs and relocate the bala.
Thank you. I have actually just gotten off the phone to a guy who has huge, self-built tanks. He seems keen on taking the Balas and I'm really hoping he does. He seems like a good guy and they'll be with more of their own kind and hopefully very happy

edit - sp.
Please excuse my spelling and lack of paragraphs - its my phone's fault! 80gal low light planted tiger barb/columbian tetra/BN plec tank 29gal just changing to heavily planted low tech, lots of bogwood causing "natural" terraces, pebbles, sand, pair of GBRs, ember tetras and otocinclus. Eek! Can't wait til its finished!
LeTigra is offline   Reply With Quote