Kitty Litter, agian
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 06-11-2004, 12:16 AM   #1
sailblue5
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Kitty Litter, agian

Ok, after serching through a bunch of fourms and reading what I can about people experience with kitty Litter, I still was wondering some things about ti that I was hopping people that have used kitty litter would answer. First, when moving plants around does the kitty litter escape making the tank cloudy (assuming there was some normal gravel on top about an inch)? Also how does it change your water parameters. I have read that each brand is different, but what is the normal changes to expect? And lastly, do you feel that plants can grow in kitty litter jsut as well as florite or eco complete?

Thanks, and sorry for making another kitty litter post.

Michael
sailblue5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2004, 04:15 AM   #2
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (163/100%)

There have been some analysis(es?) of kitty litter, here is one http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/Fertil...er-boingy.html

The thing to keep in mind is that -- as you say -- each brand is completely different (not made for aquatic use!) so the scale is big, you could end up with a stinking mess that kills every living being in its proximity, or you could get a very cheap substrate that grows plants better than fluorite.

Same for clouding, effect on water chemistry, nutrient exchange capacity, etc etc.

I am using a brand called Special Kitty in my tanks, it looks like flourite once it is rinsed (just green/gray instead of red), does not cloud the water, grows plants great, and does not effect the water parameters. Actually I changed from this Kitty litter to 100% Flourite in my 10 gal tank and experienced major algae problems, and the Glosso that was doing well before has ceased to grow completely. Could all be coincidence, of course.

Now this is true only for that particular bag that I bought! No doubt that the bag you buy will be different, raise pH to 10.5, create a milky haze that never goes away, and kills all ghost shrimps. This risk is the price you pay for being cheap.
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2004, 01:09 PM   #3
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

I totally agree. Kitty Litter is risky. But only if you are careless. It's cheap so there really is zero risk. Buy a bag of the cheapest stuff you can find (It generally has less in the form of additives). Wal-mart brand Special Kitty is what I used as well. Test it out by putting some in a jar of water. If it turns to mush, try something else.

Even good Kitty Litter will cloud your water somewhat. The key is to lock it down with sand or gravel. When you uproot plants, there will be a puff of dust. Just don't do any major rearranging all at once and you'll be fine.
Old 06-11-2004, 05:27 PM   #4
secretagent
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yup I have Litter too (Special kitty) and it works AWSOME for my swords! the roots are amazing too! I have no top layer on my 20g long but I do in my 10g. So what Im saying is if you like rearranging, I really dont think you would Like KL! Well I also and glad with its price and effects, so if you can deal with a puff here and their I say GO WITH IT!

La la la la
I live in my own little world, but thats ok, they know me here...

Man! Good to be back! I have been soo consumed with my saltwater tank and school it's just so sad to let my empty fishtanks go to waste!

----SO LETS GET IT ON!----
Back to the Good side We shall travel!
secretagent is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-11-2004, 07:01 PM   #5
sailblue5
Algae Grower

how much is a puff here and there? If I was to move around a few plants would that mean the tank would get really cloudy? How long does it stay cloudy? Also how does the special kitty walmart brand change your water params? Lasly, does the kittly litter mix in with the top layer (would sand or gravel work best to prevent this)?

Thanks for all your help in answering my questions.

Michael
Old 06-11-2004, 08:46 PM   #6
Wasserpest
Are these real?

The material from the bag I used (!) of that Special Kitty CPA doesn't huff and puff at all, provided you wash it first. After washing, it is pretty much like clean flourite, as I mentioned. Messy's bag is probably different then (messier? ) or he didn't rinse it (enough). So... no cloudyness here.

Regarding the mixing... if you used sand, it would eventually come to the top. If you'd use gravel (pea-sized) it will stay underneath.

Disclaimer: All my experiences with KL are based on a single bag of Special Kitty. Do not make any assumptions or generalize.
Old 06-11-2004, 09:36 PM   #7
sailblue5
Algae Grower

How did you rinse the kitty litter?

Michael
Old 06-11-2004, 09:44 PM   #8
Wasserpest
Are these real?

5 gal bucket, half full, garden hose full blast, moving it until the water runs clear. Very similar to flourite. Of course you could leave it un-washed and cover it with fine gravel, to no loose all those fine clay particles. But then you would get the clouds when pulling up plants.
Old 06-11-2004, 10:02 PM   #9
secretagent
Planted Tank Obsessed

Well I live In an Apartment so i couldnt "rinse" it! Well... Anyhoo... It doesnt change anything Here! Maybe just because of the peat? All i would suggest is a 50:50 mix of sand And KL so It doesnt melt! Also It doesnt matter if its a sand or gravel top! Its all On persoinal Preference (my 10 was sand and 20 gravel til i switched them the other way around!)

La la la la

Man! Good to be back! I have been soo consumed with my saltwater tank and school it's just so sad to let my empty fishtanks go to waste!

Old 06-14-2004, 03:47 AM   #10
sailblue5
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Messyroadkil
Well I live In an Apartment so i couldnt "rinse" it! Well... Anyhoo... It doesnt change anything Here! Maybe just because of the peat? All i would suggest is a 50:50 mix of sand And KL so It doesnt melt! Also It doesnt matter if its a sand or gravel top! Its all On persoinal Preference (my 10 was sand and 20 gravel til i switched them the other way around!)
What do you mean so it doesn't melt?
Old 06-15-2004, 05:59 PM   #11
secretagent
Planted Tank Obsessed

What I mean is so it dosnt become mushy and Slop! I heard this happens to some people and Luckaly it didnt happen to me!

La la la la

Old 06-17-2004, 11:22 AM   #12
RoseHawke
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke

Just make sure you don't get the "clumping" litter. That's the stuff that turns to soupy slop when it gets too much water added to it. (Have cats. Been there done that )
RoseHawke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2004, 11:48 PM   #13
discusss

Unhappy special kitty

i got the special kitty brand from Walmart (the blue/whiet bag) and i tried to put about 100 grams in a plastic bucket and threw some water in and twirled it around. It took only about 2-3 minutes for it to start to turn into mud/somthing mushy. i picked up some with my hand and it didnt take much playing and it all turned into mud in my hands.

For those of you that have had success with Special Kitty are you maybe using another type? I know they had a red/white and black/white bag too?

thanks.
discusss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2004, 11:58 PM   #14
Wasserpest
Are these real?

The bag I bought is red, with some white and black writing on it. Non-clumping.
Old 06-29-2004, 02:08 PM   #15
secretagent
Planted Tank Obsessed

Default This is what i use!

Well this is it! I have had no mush or anything!

La la la la

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.