Trim time and rescape advice wanted
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 02-12-2009, 01:29 AM   #1
thirston
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)

Trim time and rescape advice wanted

I'd like some advice on how to better re-scape the tank. Working with only what I have on hand.
Sunset Hygro
Hygro Angustifolia
Bacopa monerii
Chain sword
Sag Subulata
Red Crypt Wendtii
2 x small Kleiner Bar Swords
Wysteria

I like the "overgrown jungle" look, and not so much a "clean cut" scape, but I would like some depth, and focal areas.
  • 90 Gallon 48"x18"
  • 2x96 watt PC centered over the tank. Means there are 6" dark area on each end.
  • Pressurized CO2. No measurements taken but I'm dicing up about 2-3 bubbles/second through the powerhead.
Anyhow, this isn't about growing the plants. As you can see, they seem to be growing alright.

I hope my pictures enable you to see what I've got to work with.

Any tips are greatly appreciated.

50 Gallon Aquarium - Colony of Showa Koi Swords.
90 Gallon Planted Aquarium - Yellow Tiger Endlers, Pair of Bristlenose, Six "oops" Five L15
12x10 Gallon Tanks - Guppies, Apistos, Endlers, Shrimp, Swords, you name it.
thirston is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2009, 05:33 AM   #2
reversethong
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Your plants look healthy and I like the look. Can't be of much more help.
reversethong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 03:36 PM   #3
MrJG
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (114/100%)

Thirston tank is looking nice and healthy! Seems odd offering advice on this because I know you've been doing this for a heck of a lot longer than I have, if I give any silly pointers just smack me on the back of the head. I feel like I'm slowly learning myself plant placement and how to bounce contrasting leaf types off each other to help plant groupings stand out a little more. With all of the plants being fairly similarly colored I think adjusting the groupings and areas of planting will go a long way to making it look more focused. Usually when I'm planning something or looking for ideas I'll browse through the AGA contest image gallery for a while and read this a few times.

I'm on the other side of the coin in regards to layouts though. I tend to prefer the more trimmed ornamental look as opposed to letting things go jungle style.

A few things I think would bring it around to being a more defined scape:
Adding more hardscape/slopes or bringing the pieces you have into more of a focal point as opposed to hiding behind the wisteria. Need something to break up the solid green throughout the tank. A few interesting pieces poking out here and there will help add some contrast.

I know the Angustifolia probably looks much better in person but in a picture it looks flattened out as its being washed in with the rest of the greens, I'd move both groupings of that to the back left wall to camouflage the intake a little and make the leaves stand out more.

Either by adding some new plant types, using slope, or hardscape create some kind of midground area. The short dwarf sag in the front is a great foreground but going back it moves to sharply from low to high stem plants creating a wall.

Focal points. Kinda going along with whats above there needs to be something of interest and create some flow for the eyes. Either using hardscape, slope, or negative space you need to break up the green and showcase the healthy plants in there.
MrJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 11:31 PM   #4
thirston
Planted Tank Obsessed

With the next two days off I'll probably end up getting my hands wet at some point. We'll see what happens. I'll probably just 'wing it', but I've already started browsing the AGA scapes and there are a few that are stuck in my head.

Thank you for the input guys.

MrJG, I appreciate you taking the time to post those links. I have seen several sites with the Aquascaping Contest entries before but I always seem to forget about them when I'm digging in my own tanks. Perhaps I need to hit you up for a new red stem or two. I know you've got the goods.

90 Gallon Planted Aquarium - Yellow Tiger Endlers, Pair of Bristlenose, Six "oops" Five L15
Old 02-15-2009, 01:20 AM   #5
MrJG
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (114/100%)

Shot you a pm about exactly that bro.
MrJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:19 AM   #6
TheRac25
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Break up perpendicular lines. Angles, curves, slopes, etc.
TheRac25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:20 PM   #7
brion0
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

The tall hygro A. takes away from the depth. Placing a taller plant along the side to make it seem like the plants in the middle are farther back.
brion0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 11:01 PM   #8
thirston
Planted Tank Obsessed

I spent some time in the tank getting my hands wet recently. I tossed a bunch of stuff and cleaned it up a bit. Here's the new scape. I tried to get the driftwood front and center with a backdrop of the sunset hygro. I flanked it with the angustifolia and crypts and mixed the dwarf sag and chain sword together for the foreground carpet.
I'll let it grow in for a couple of weeks and see what's what then.

Old 02-20-2009, 03:52 AM   #9
CAM6467
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

I'm not much of an "expert" on planted tanks, but I think that some red would look great in yours.
- The Fraternity of Dirt #66 -
Just because it's dirt doesn't make it low-tech.
CAM6467 is offline   Reply With Quote