Trouble finding store carrying..
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 06-10-2004, 12:18 AM   #1
nebulous
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Trouble finding store carrying..

I can't find any LFS carrying decent plants, so I've resorted to buying online -

Has anyone bought duckweed(lemna minor) or phyllanthus from an online store at a decent price? If so, where? I know aquariumplant.com carries duckweed, but only in the 2lbs form, which is way too much and expensive for my needs.

Also, are there any decent planted tank LFS in Houston? Seems like none of the ones in my area have any selection of plants, much less fish.

Thanks!
nebulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2004, 01:20 PM   #2
jake
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)

I have both Phyllanthus Fluiatans and duckweed floating in my 75 gallon. As it is causing shading problems and I don't want to move it to another tank, we can prolly set something up via pm
Old 06-10-2004, 02:44 PM   #3
Stranger
Algae Grower

You're having trouble locating duckweed in Austin/TX because it's illegal. Some stores have duckweed, but they cannot sell it to you. Amazonia/Aquatek recently had duckweed in their planted tanks. Perhaps you should pay them a visit and ask for a bit.
Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 03:03 PM   #4
anonapersona
Wannabe Guru

Default lowes pond department

Try to find a Lowes with a pond department, the tray of wet plants will be covered in duckweed, it is free if you ask. A big handfull will get you started.

Plant places in Houston...Village Tropical, Fish Ranch, Cty Pets, Aquarium World.

And there is always hobbiests. I have extras to sell, ambulia and hygro now. A few crypts and java ferns that I could pull if you are interested, compacta swords, some other stuff too. I'll have all of them for sale at the HAS auction July 11th on the south side of town. (got a few small tanks I'm breaking down so I'll be getting rid of a lot of plants then)
59G thickly planted tanks, rummey nose tetras, kuhlies
300G goldfish pond outside
anonapersona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 03:09 PM   #5
jart
Wannabe Guru

of course i'm curious to know if you've kept duckweed before. just a heads up, if you're not aware, the stuff gets outa hand pretty quick. i've had massive amounts growing inside my power filter at times. also when i did water changes/ maintenance and got my arm coated with the stuff it would cause a rash if i didn't rinse it all off right away. however i have used it successfully as a nutrient sponge by keeping it separate in a breeding trap and scooping a few handfuls out every few days.
jart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 03:10 PM   #6
nebulous
Algae Grower

Thanks for the info!

Stranger - Any idea why it is illegal? Seems kinda strange. I'd stop by Amazonia, but unfortunately I'm in Houston for the next month or so.

anonapersona - Thanks for the tips! Where can I find more info on the HAS auction?

Thanks!
Old 06-10-2004, 03:54 PM   #7
Mori
Wannabe Guru

It's illegal because it gets loose and chokes the waterways, smothering native plants and altering the general aquatic environment.

Good goldfish food!
Mori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 04:05 PM   #8
anonapersona
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous
....unfortunately I'm in Houston for the next month or so.

anonapersona - Thanks for the tips! Where can I find more info on the HAS auction?

Thanks!
http://www.houstonaquariumsociety.org

I may be working the sign-in table.
59G thickly planted tanks, rummey nose tetras, kuhlies
300G goldfish pond outside
anonapersona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 09:28 PM   #9
bigoletankoffish
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to bigoletankoffish Send a message via MSN to bigoletankoffish Send a message via Yahoo to bigoletankoffish

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous
I can't find any LFS carrying decent plants, so I've resorted to buying online -
Well if you are in Austin, AquaTek seems to always have a great selection of plants. They get their shipment on Friday afternoons. They have been having a bunch of rare stuff show up.

I don't seem to find a lot of stuff I like at Amazonia, but usually have a quite a few big swords if you have a tank they will fit in.

I found that Austin Aquariums (It's just a little ways from AquaTek) has a few plants as well, but they aren't that diverse in selection. They do have a really cool looking show tank in the corner though.

I don't really know anything about Houston stores.
My tanks and my fish
bigoletankoffish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 10:18 PM   #10
nebulous
Algae Grower

Thanks for the tips. I've been to Amazonia quite a few times, but never to Aquatek, I'll have to look it up next time I'm back in Austin.

Thanks!