Is 130watt enough light for a 72g tank?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 06-07-2004, 10:07 PM   #1
Poohbee
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Poohbee Send a message via MSN to Poohbee
Question

Is 130watt enough light for a 72g tank?

Hello, I just bought a 72g All-Glass Aquarium brand Bow Front fish tank (48"L x 18"W x 22"H). I'm wondering if that is enough light for a planted tank. I saw on Big Al's this Current USA Satellite 48" 2 x 65 Watt Power Compact-Single Strip W/2 Lunar Lights http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/...d1=1843;pcid2= and I'm wondering if it will be enough light for my planted tank. They have another Satellite that is 4x65 http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=29615;category_id=1875;pcid 1=1843;pcid2== . My goal is to not use so much electricity since the energy bill is so high already with all the house computers being on but I still want a lush planted tank with a wide variety of plants and colors and driftwood. I'm also kind of concerned with the fact that these lights don't have mounting legs to stand them up from the tank.

Is there perhaps another similar light that has lunar lights and is that cheap too but with a little bit more wattage?

This so far is what I have for my new tank:

- 72g All-Glass Aquarium Bow Front Tank with stand and glass canopy (from Petco)
- Eheim 2126 Pro II thermo Filter Kit (from Drs. Smith and Foster)
- 7 Bags of Carib Sea Eco-Complete plant substrate (local fish store)

Last edited by Poohbee; 06-09-2004 at 01:23 AM..
Poohbee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2004, 10:43 PM   #2
J.C.
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Coralife has a similar fixture called the Lunar Aqualight I believe. It comes in both 2x65w and 4x65w. I've got their regular light (4x65w, no moonlights) on my 75 gal and it's a nice unit. Many other people on this forum use it as well. To have lush growth and overall success, you may want to go with the 4x65w, because if you start injecting C02 or dosing nutrients (things which you'll need for good growth), higher levels of light will be needed. Maybe someone else can also put their 2 cents in as well, but as for me, I'd say go for the 4x65w.

J.C.
J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2004, 10:54 PM   #3
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (163/100%)

Hi Poohbee, welcome to the Planted Tank!

I would also suggest a 4x 55W or 65W fixture for better coverage of the 18" deep tank. Initially you could run just two of the bulbs, and once things have stabilized, add the second set.

This is when you would need to look into CO2 and fertilizers. Under high light, plants need to be fed well...
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2004, 01:31 AM   #4
Poohbee
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Poohbee Send a message via MSN to Poohbee
Unhappy

Thank you for the quick replies. I'm still debating what brand to get, whether to get the Current USA Satellites or the Coralife Lunar lights. I think my indecisiveness is based on the cost of the light fixtures and the long term energy costs. I'm kind of leaning towards the 48" 4x65 Coralife Lunar light fixtures because it has 3 lunar lights and it has a nice designer look to it.

I need someone to push me over the edge of my indecisiveness... Maybe a place that sells it really cheap... I checked Big Als, drs. foster & smith, Thatfishplace.com, Ebay, and Hello Lights.

?_? Help.......!
Poohbee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2004, 02:10 AM   #5
Verminaard
Planted Member

I have a AGA 72G and have found that the Coralife fixtures are the way to go. I bought two separate strips (2x65w). Its nice to have the two separate strips for two reasons: 1. you dont have to listen to the hum of the fans going, and 2. you can move each strip independently from each other. It really helps because (depending on your choice of glass canopy) you can move things so that they are positioned for maximum light dispersion. Big thumbs up for Coralife (I also use one of their UV units)
Eheim Pimp Club Member#5
72G-Eheim 2026-Eheim CO2-260W Coralife CF
Coralife 9W UV Sterilizer-Hydor 300W In-Line Heater-100% Eco-Complete
Verminaard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2004, 02:11 AM   #6
Verminaard
Planted Member

Check out www.marineandreef.com they have been running specials on them as of late..................
Eheim Pimp Club Member#5
72G-Eheim 2026-Eheim CO2-260W Coralife CF
Coralife 9W UV Sterilizer-Hydor 300W In-Line Heater-100% Eco-Complete
Verminaard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.