Baby Gold Mystery Snails turning brown
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 01-26-2009, 09:24 PM   #1
cjp999
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Baby Gold Mystery Snails turning brown

I've had a couple of gold mystery snails for about 4 months now. I'm not sure of the exact species, but they are a bit over 1", deep yellow shell, light yellow flesh, and pink/red eyes. After looking at applesnail.net, I'd say I probably have Yellow Pomacea canaliculata.

A little over a month ago, one of them laid eggs, and about 3 or 4 weeks ago, about 120 baby snails hatched. Initially they were all pale yellow. But now some are either changing colors, or I have a new snail infestation. Here's a recent picture:

snail2.jpg

The snails in this picture are about 3/16th on an inch in size. From what I can tell, their shape is the same as the yellow baby snails, and so is their behavior. The only other grown snails I have are nerites I got 2 or 3 weeks ago, and a few MTS isolated in a different tank. Any idea what these snails are?

BTW, I'm certain these are not just baby snails that were born brown instead of yellow and I didn't initially notice. The yellow snails were born in a tank with black gravel. I siphoned about 80 of them out with 3/16th hosing, so I know I was only grabbing yellow ones. If there had been any brown ones, I would have easily seen them in the container I siphoned them into. The snails I siphoned out I moved to 3 other tanks, and I'm seeing the brownish snails in all 3 of these thanks now.
Attached Images

cjp999 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2009, 10:09 PM   #2
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

PTrader: (13/100%)

those look like pond snails. You have another species in there.
mistergreen is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2009, 10:16 PM   #3
cjp999
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
those look like pond snails. You have another species in there.
If that's the case, they must have survived the PM soaking I gave my new plants a few weeks ago. I definitely don't have any adults in my tanks.

I thought pond snails ate plants? These guys are eating algae on the glass.
Old 01-27-2009, 03:49 AM   #4
Lupin
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Pond snails do not eat plants but they do eat the dying parts. I'd get rid of them if you don't want a vast number of these.

Let the loach and snail assimilation begin!
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2009, 06:05 PM   #5
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

PTrader: (13/100%)

I've notice smaller snail sp. can hitchhike with mystery snail too...
pond snails are harmless. But if you don't like them, just squish them with your fingers.
mistergreen is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2009, 06:17 PM   #6
cjp999
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I've had the mystery snails for too long for pond snails to have hitch a ride with them. I've been removing them with a turkey baster. Since they move around a lot, and there are no adults to lay more eggs, I think they'll all be gone shortly.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:48 AM   #7
Roser
Algae Grower

I'd disagree about pond snails not eating plants. When I accidently introduced them, they made a particular note of munching big holes in my swords and dwarf lotus plants (and not just they dying parts, sadly). Other than that, they don't bother any of my plants. Like so many other things though, there are probably more than one species that people end up with, and some may be more or less of a pain. Either way, if I had the chance to do it again, I'd prevent those darn snails from taking over by getting rid of them.
Roser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2009, 02:15 AM   #8
Phoenix-cry
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Yeah, those look like pond snail...when mystery snails lay eggs they lay them out of the water in a purple mass so you really notice.

I crush them when I see them for my fish to eat. Although crushing them can cause them to release eggs. It only takes one to make a thousand so it is best to destroy them when you see them and not think "Awe, it's just one snail".
Phoenix-cry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2009, 02:49 AM   #9
Lupin
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roser View Post
I'd disagree about pond snails not eating plants. When I accidently introduced them, they made a particular note of munching big holes in my swords and dwarf lotus plants (and not just they dying parts, sadly). Other than that, they don't bother any of my plants. Like so many other things though, there are probably more than one species that people end up with, and some may be more or less of a pain. Either way, if I had the chance to do it again, I'd prevent those darn snails from taking over by getting rid of them.
Perhaps the foliage is soft. Snails do target soft foliage but for the most part, they really don't eat plants unless opportunity arises.

Let the loach and snail assimilation begin!
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2009, 03:32 AM   #10
cjp999
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix-cry View Post
Yeah, those look like pond snail...when mystery snails lay eggs they lay them out of the water in a purple mass so you really notice.
I realize that, and mine did lay eggs out of the water, although they were a salmon color. I have a 120 baby yellow mystery snails now (and they are in fact yellow, not brown). However, the brown ones pictured above starting turning up a couple weeks after the yellow, so I wasn't sure if the yellow snails hard started to turn brown.

Quote:
I crush them when I see them for my fish to eat. Although crushing them can cause them to release eggs. It only takes one to make a thousand so it is best to destroy them when you see them and not think "Awe, it's just one snail".
How small can they be when they lay eggs.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:41 PM   #11
FishGirl65
Algae Grower

I had a "gold" pond snail that I thought was a mystery snail and I let it live a good long time when I finally realized it wasn't a mystery snail. Who knows how many eggs that snail laid...

Anyway, I'm very careful to check the shape of the shell before getting rid of them now. Mystery snails are definately more round, pond snails - oval. When they're small sometimes I have to hold them up to a light to see the outline of the shape.

When the mystery snails are laying eggs and I want to keep the babies, I move the eggs to a floating styrofoam piece in another aquarium that doesn't have a pond snail infestation. I don't have to deal with who's who then.

Perhaps someone has a better answer, but I've found that pond snails can be quite small when they start laying their egg jellies. The bigger snails just seem to lay more eggs at a time.
FishGirl65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2009, 06:00 PM   #12
Phoenix-cry
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Ah, i didn't know that you had a true snail egg nest. most people just assume new snails must be pond snails. I'm not sure how large a pond snail has to be before it is sexually mature, my guess is 1/4 of an inch or so since that would be about half the size of a large adult.
Phoenix-cry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2009, 09:08 PM   #13
cjp999
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Ah, i didn't know that you had a true snail egg nest. most people just assume new snails must be pond snails. I'm not sure how large a pond snail has to be before it is sexually mature, my guess is 1/4 of an inch or so since that would be about half the size of a large adult.
Grrr! I already have eggs, and these little buggers aren't even pea size yet.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.