UPDATED what to do with this jungle? opinions
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 01-25-2009, 01:12 AM   #1
smooththg69
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

UPDATED what to do with this jungle? opinions

well I'm getting sick of the way my tank looks the more and I look at it the more it looks like a jungle. and now I'm having aquascapers block and need some help pointing me in the right direction. so bring on the criticism. Im looking forward to some of you guys opinions. oh sorry about the 8.99 bag in the picture.

Update
Well I did some minor updating to the tank I did find some blaxa jap in the tellnus that I forgot about I also moved some small crypts that where growing from a bigger plant to the back left same with the red nesea
dwarf vals to the left and thinned out.I guess nothing goes as planned but here goes the pics.

Last edited by smooththg69; 01-28-2009 at 03:33 PM..
smooththg69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2009, 01:18 AM   #2
Phoenix-cry
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

I've leave the Right half of the tank alone, that part looks great!

The left needs something high and bushy, Cabomba or soemthing like that?
Phoenix-cry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2009, 01:44 AM   #3
smooththg69
Algae Grower

I was thinking about moving the cork screw val more towards the rear of the tank. to open up some space in the front of the tank probably behind the drift wood? and putting some vals spiralis In the right corner. with red rotala rotundifolia in front ? and moving the green tiger lotus to the right to contrast with the red tiger lotus?
Old 01-25-2009, 01:46 AM   #4
FrostyNYC
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Send a message via AIM to FrostyNYC

First of all, nice tank. Your plants look healthy. It's a beautiful tank the way it is right now. I agree it's a little bit of a jungle though.

Please take this constructive criticism in stride (since you asked for it!):

One of the issues I see is that the tank looks like it's been cut right down the middle. Why not repeat some of the plants that you use on the right side on the left side? Also, what kind of lawn are you going for? You have a val lawn on the left and what looks like E. tennellus red on the right. While both plant masses look really healthy, you could probably thin them out a bit and fill in the center gap.

There are some stems directly behind the Hygro in the middle of the tank that you can pull out, cut in half and replant further to the left, near that one super-long stem. They're lost behind the hygro anyway, and that one long stem looks awkward by itself.

If you want things to look a little bit less like a jungle, I'd maybe replant the stems on the right side and group them by species. They look a little tangled the way they are now.

PS - What was in the $8.99 bag anyway?
Old 01-25-2009, 01:53 AM   #5
FrostyNYC
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Send a message via AIM to FrostyNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by smooththg69 View Post
I was thinking about moving the cork screw val more towards the rear of the tank. to open up some space in the front of the tank probably behind the drift wood? and putting some vals spiralis In the right corner. with red rotala rotundifolia in front ? and moving the green tiger lotus to the right to contrast with the red tiger lotus?
I think the corkscrew val you have now are too short to go in the rear of the tank. I'd put them in the midground, or even leave them in the foreground since your tank is fairly large.

What is the red plant in the front right? Is that red Nesaea? With all of of those roots coming from its stem, maybe it'd be more attractive behind something, where the red leaves would poke through but you wouldnt have to look at roots. The lower portion of the plant looks pretty bare anyway.

I see what you're saying about the contrasting tiger lotuses, but the red one is so pretty where it is now, I wouldnt want to move it.
Old 01-25-2009, 02:17 AM   #6
smooththg69
Algae Grower

ok im gonna try some of your ideals tomorrow. Im also gonna trim down the the green lotus.and put a couple of small stems of parrots feather to grow out over there. by the way its a female GBR in the 8.99 bag.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.