Coke bottle Cap sealant
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 06-05-2004, 08:52 PM   #1
Skyfish
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Coke bottle Cap sealant

I would like to know what sealant works best on the poly coke caps and the silicon airline tube for my home brew CO2 rig.

I have tried silicon and it peels off, I tried some hard epoxy but that came off too. Most other sealants seem toxic.

Can someone give me a brand name to pick up?

Also will a brass pipe with threading screwed into the cap and then tightly held together with a nut work? The silicon tube can be out on either side of the brass tube.

Please help I need to get my co2 going asap.

Thanks
Skyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2004, 09:01 PM   #2
Hop
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

I have found that if you sand it first, it holds fairly well with epoxy. The finish on the caps has very little usable surface for adhearing if you don't rough it up first.

Hope that helps!
Old 06-05-2004, 09:09 PM   #3
Skyfish
Algae Grower

OK but will the brass tube corrode or eventually block the co2 when it's passing through?

so will a brass pipe work?

Last edited by Skyfish; 06-05-2004 at 09:11 PM.. Reason: Diagramme did not come out right.
Old 06-05-2004, 09:58 PM   #4
jart
Wannabe Guru

in the past i have glued/epoxied a cork to the inside of a bottle cap. drilled a hole through the cap and cork, then shoved a piece of rigid tubing through the hole. then glued/epoxied around the rigid tubing at both ends.
jart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 02:44 AM   #5
edo
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to edo

my silicon seemed to work fine. i just siliconed the hell out of it tho. i did both sides, about 5 times each.
edo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 06:04 AM   #6
Rikko
Algae Grower

Send a message via ICQ to Rikko Send a message via AIM to Rikko

LePage 5 minute epoxy. I bought an airline hose joiner (for attaching 2 lengths of airline) and drilled a hole in the cap and stuffed the joiner in there until it made contact. Sanded all surfaces lightly and epoxied. It's going to be on there long after we're dead and buried.
Rikko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 03:33 PM   #7
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (174/100%)

A brass connector might work too, I could never find any that were small enough and had a nut that was big enough.

Regarding glue... I use little plastic nipples, or even those airline connectors. Drill a hole that makes them fit very tight, a ring of glue, push it in, let it dry. Sanding the cap might help.

I have tried regular aquarium silicone, and wasn't happy with it. Brand-wise, I mostly used Elmers Stix-All adhesive, which dries pretty fast, but doesn't become too hard. Per Anonapersonas recommendation, I recently experimented with "Liquid Nails" adhesive, which is very smelly, so it needs to dry a couple of days, and it gets rather hard, but sticks well to the bottle caps that I used.
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 05:12 PM   #8
anonapersona
Wannabe Guru

Default Liquid Nails

In an emergency, as the silicone used was leaking and the unit was in use, I peeled off the silicone and used Liquid Nails. It sealed fast enough to block the active leak and has held ever since.

Since then I've used it on other units and it always works. From Home Depot.

I used it just on the top side, not inside the cap at all.
59G thickly planted tanks, rummey nose tetras, kuhlies
300G goldfish pond outside
anonapersona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 05:39 PM   #9
oldfarmhouse
Planted Member

Some posted a DIY and used bulkhead nipples for RC planes from Tower Hobby. A pair for about $4.00 They look Perfect. Complete with plastic nuts on the bottom. http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXG849&P=0
Member "Eheim Pimp Club" #35 30G High....65w Coralife...
Eheim 2224 Pro...100% Eco-Complete....Ebo-150w
oldfarmhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 06:44 PM   #10
corigan
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfarmhouse
Some posted a DIY and used bulkhead nipples for RC planes from Tower Hobby. A pair for about $4.00 They look Perfect. Complete with plastic nuts on the bottom. http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXG849&P=0
Unfortunately they aren't. I bought a pair of those. Fit real tight in the caps and all, that wasn't the problem with the bulkheads. What was the problem is that the airhose doesn't fit tight on them. Go figure.. I would have had to try to seal the airhose (tried multiple kinds, including co2 tubing, brand new, never connected or stretched onto any nipples/fittings) and that would just make the whole process worthless. What good are the nipples if the hose has to be glued to them. If I have to glue the hose to the bottlecap, why spend extra money on the bulkheads. Anybody else had the same experiences with these? I ordered them from towerhobbies a few months back.

On another note, I use liquid nails, or one of it's plastic sealant knock offs and just seal around the outside of the cap with the hose in it, works well. Scuffing up the bottlecap is a great idea, and I'm going to give it a try next time.

Matt
Member #6 of the Eheim Pimp Club - 2 Eheim 2213 & 2215 w/ surface extractor, LiquidDoser and Auto Feeder.
corigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 07:14 PM   #11
oldfarmhouse
Planted Member

Thanks for that post you saved me some $'s.
Old 06-06-2004, 07:26 PM   #12
Skyfish
Algae Grower

Well this is what I got:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXD708&P=0

I used the nut on the top right then the threaded brass tube and the 2nd nut just under the fuel cap. You just drill the hole to fit the brass pipe snugly and screw the nut in. Works perfectly. I did that last night and so far so good. No glue was used. I am thinking of gluing the top nut.

Your basic airlines fits perfectly.

As for the bulkhead that oldfarm house suggested, I also was thinking of using that. Matt perhaps the airline we use does not fit but you can get fuleline from Tower or anywhere else and they will fit perfectly. Because these bulkheads are used for RC Jets, and I am sure it works on those, as jets work on high pressure. So I guess aquarium airlines may not fit but RC has loads of silicon fuel lines in different diameters, I am sure one will fit.

My only worry is that eventually the CO2 will leave deposits on the brass and maybe clog the brass pipe. But let me tell you the brass pipe and nut fit together amazingly tight. It would be advisable to put in rubber washers then tighten the nuts which will be like an extra seal. The cap might blow out, if it has too but the nut will never come off. Try it Wasserpest.

This is my first CO2 expiriment and after 12 hours I am getting bubbles but on turtle pace, I hope it will start working in another 12? i keep looking for bubbles

Cheers
Old 06-06-2004, 08:41 PM   #13
oldfarmhouse
Planted Member

Hi Skyfish. The post doesn'nt seem to work for me. The problem with using fuel line with the other one is it still won't fit on the other end of my internal reactor (coming)which will need a standard airline. I should call my buddy at his machine shop and have some made for this. I bet I can sell a bunch of them. (cheap of course)