Fluval 304 - Media change woes - Eheim better?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 06-03-2004, 12:33 AM   #1
FiberCon
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Fluval 304 - Media change woes - Eheim better?

I was just talking with my roommates about canister filters and I realized the main thing that I don't like about my Fluval 304, media changes.

You see, the water flows through the media baskets from the bottom to the top of the canister. 3 baskets are in the 304, so in the bottom I have some additional polyester filter padding (the Fluval sponges are of a large pore variety, fine for water flow, bad for catching small particles) and a bag of activated carbon. So, to change out the filter padding / AC I have to remove ALL 3 of the baskets from the filter. This can be a pain since they are not held together really, so half the time I pull the top basket out half way only to have the bottom ones fall off and splash water out of the canister (learned to be more careful with this but still happens from time to time.)

With this in mind, how is the water flow / media change handled in the Eheim PRO II series? Do you have to remove the entire basket set to get to the stuff that is changed most often?
FiberCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2004, 01:01 AM   #2
cich
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via MSN to cich

Anything has to be better than the MSF system..... I found that mine actually dumped filth in from the top, where only clean water is supposed to be going out! Bah....

--cich
Old 06-03-2004, 12:00 PM   #3
jake
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)

Those are the main canisters I see when I see " My canister is broken, help!" threads. I've never owned one ( for that reason ) so I can't really comment on their quality, but I know what I read. Even in chatrooms I see it every other day. Too coincidental, imo.
Old 06-04-2004, 05:18 AM   #4
FiberCon
Planted Member

I guess either none of the Eheim Pimps read this thread, or they decided not to respond because changing the media in an Eheim is just a difficult. Could this be true?
Old 06-04-2004, 05:39 AM   #5
John P.
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

Do you use disconnects near the filter?

Why not remove the thing from under the aquarium and change the media under the sink instead? That should make your life easier.

I figure with the 2213 that I ordered I won't need to clean it more than every 5-6 months at the minimum.
Old 06-04-2004, 05:46 AM   #6
FiberCon
Planted Member

The hoses on the Fluval canisters disconnect right at the filter. No problems there. Moving it to a sink, not an issue and what I do anyway. But when the little baskets come apart water still goes everywhere. Last time I cleaned it I just dumped all the water out of it anyway.

Still, there has got to be a better way (ie better design.)
Old 06-04-2004, 04:30 PM   #7
bharada
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Don't the media baskets stack in the Eheims, too?

When I clean out my 304 I start by pouring out the water, then I remove the sponge holder. With that out of the way it's a little easier to grab hold of the media baskets. Most times though I juggle the baskets as I grab them so I can take them out one at a time.
bharada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 08:51 PM   #8
tiny
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

i own few fluvals and are easy maintenance, after you take out the sponge then you can pick up the baskets from the bottom.
tiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 09:06 PM   #9
anonapersona
Wannabe Guru

Default Most flow from the bottom

Most of the filters flow from the bottom. You should have coarse media at the bottom, not floss. Floss should be at the top, it will be dirtier than the stuff at the bottom because it is finer and catches finer dirt. If you are flowing through the floss first, you are probably plugging up too soon, with big plant bits sealing off the fine pores of the floss.

In cleaning the Eheims, sometimes when I am lazy, I'll just replace the topmost floss or pad. I may run tank water through the rest, or not. Eventually I do take it all apart and clean it all well.

If you will take the floss out of the bottom and put it in the top you will find it easier.
59G thickly planted tanks, rummey nose tetras, kuhlies
300G goldfish pond outside
anonapersona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 09:23 PM   #10
FiberCon
Planted Member

Putting your mechanical filtration as the last part the water flows through doesn't make sense. It should be coarse mechanical(sponge / large pore floss pad), fine mechanical (floss / small pore floss pad), chemical, biological, in that order. If not, then your carbon (or other chemical filtration media) and biological media can get coated in gunk and become less effective.
Old 06-04-2004, 09:27 PM   #11
GDominy
Planted Tank VIP

Heh.... I have actually found the sponges in the Fluval 404 to be more then enough for small particles.. I use.. get thise... my old epoxy coated blue gravel (in 2 trays) for media in my 404 with 2 trays full of cermic rings
GDominy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2004, 01:47 AM   #12
cich
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via MSN to cich

oh... mine is also now leaking... BUT, it's sucking air from somewhere (no water leaks), even though the thing is at least a foot belown water level :S

--cich
Old 06-05-2004, 03:48 AM   #13
bharada
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

The one place I've found prone to air leakage is the rubber connector between the ribbed hose and the intake syphon tube. If I fiddle with the intake any it'll often work lose from the hose so I have to jam the hose back into the connector.
bharada is offline   Reply With Quote