ODNO balasts with VHO bulbs
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 02-12-2003, 09:06 PM   #1
PhishNeslo
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to PhishNeslo

can i do it? at this point i have two single bulb 48 inch 4X odno fixtures and one double bulb 4x odno (with two balasts in it). i figure if they are each pumping 132 watts through each bulb, why cant i hook up a VHO bulb to the balasts. would it work? would it be brighter than the regular overdriven flourscents i have now?

phil

Filter: DIY rapid sand filter w/ 5 liters Eheim effisubstrat and 50 pounds of corse filter sand, 600 gph pump. dump returns.

Substrate: Gravel and laterite substrates, capped with Flourite and home depot sand.

Lighting: 6.7 watts/gallon on top
(2x175) of 10,000k MH, (2x128) ODNO GE P&A
3 watts/gal on bottom
(4x40) triton t-8 flourscent

Fertilization: Seachem liquid fertilization (iron and comprehensive), Tetra initial sticks

CO2: DIY 14 liter yeast (seven bottles connected to a gang valve)
400 gph reactor (gravel vacuum tube filled with bio-bale and a powerhead on top)
PhishNeslo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2003, 01:50 PM   #2
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

While the bulbs will be considerably more expensive, yes, I believe you could expect significantly brighter output and longer life since the bulbs were designed to run at those power levels.
Old 02-13-2003, 06:20 PM   #3
PhishNeslo
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to PhishNeslo

the VHO bulbs dont run at a different frequency or arent modulated differently or anything?

Filter: DIY rapid sand filter w/ 5 liters Eheim effisubstrat and 50 pounds of corse filter sand, 600 gph pump. dump returns.

Substrate: Gravel and laterite substrates, capped with Flourite and home depot sand.

Lighting: 6.7 watts/gallon on top
(2x175) of 10,000k MH, (2x128) ODNO GE P&A
3 watts/gal on bottom
(4x40) triton t-8 flourscent

Fertilization: Seachem liquid fertilization (iron and comprehensive), Tetra initial sticks

CO2: DIY 14 liter yeast (seven bottles connected to a gang valve)
400 gph reactor (gravel vacuum tube filled with bio-bale and a powerhead on top)
PhishNeslo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2003, 06:32 PM   #4
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

Bulbs can run at a great variety of frequencies - think of a regular NO bulb going from a magnetic ballast running at the AC outlet's 60Hz to an electronic ballast generally running at 20,000Hz+.

The primary difference is in the gas pressures and bulb design, being able to dissipate the energy as light instead of heat. When the phosphors in a regular NO bulbs gets overexcited with overdriving, they can actually produce less output.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure it will work.
Old 02-13-2003, 06:38 PM   #5
ridns
Planted Tank Obsessed

My ears just perked up here, how much more do you suppose we could get Sam? I just happen to have the fixture and bulbs sitting in a corner. :hehe:
Eheim pimp #128, 55gal 13x20x48, Eheim Pro 2227, CO2 injected, into the filter breather tube,4x 55w Pcs , 12 hr light cycle (sunrise/sunset simulated), Milwaukee SMS 122, faulty bubble counter replaced with M3 bubble counter..... moderately Planted, Plantex CSM+B and ferts

To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research
ridns is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2003, 06:48 PM   #6
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

It would be impossible to even estimate how much more. There's not a lot of information out there about how these bulbs react at various energy levels.

That said, I'd definitely say it would be visibly noticeable, but I'd guess it to be no more than 50% greater.
Old 02-13-2003, 06:53 PM   #7
ridns
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hmmmm, I found one extra 4x ballast in the corner too. I only need one more ballast...... maybe... This is sounding tempting! :hehe:
Eheim pimp #128, 55gal 13x20x48, Eheim Pro 2227, CO2 injected, into the filter breather tube,4x 55w Pcs , 12 hr light cycle (sunrise/sunset simulated), Milwaukee SMS 122, faulty bubble counter replaced with M3 bubble counter..... moderately Planted, Plantex CSM+B and ferts

To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research
ridns is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.