Water Parameters advise
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 05-31-2004, 07:00 AM   #1
Skyfish
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Unhappy

Water Parameters advise

Hello everyone,

I have recently come back to the world of fishkeeping after 10 years. I have forgotten much but have been reading up a lot and have started to remember things again.

I have set up a small 24G tank, 3 weeks now. I had some driftwood but they started leaching so i took them out last friday and did a 50% water change. Now my water is slightly cloudy, I suppose it will clear up in a few weeks with more water change?

My tank is heavely planted and I am currently building my DIY CO2 system, show be done in a day or two. Presently tryign out the Fizz Factory, not trusting this method anyway. Home brew will be better. Also increasing the light from 18W to 54W once my DIY hood is made. Tank size 29"W x 13"D x 15"H. Internal filter.

This is what my test showed 2nd day of the water change.

GH - 6 dH
KH - 6 dH
PH - 7.5 (but on the darker side)
CO2 - 6mg
NO2 - 0.8mg

I know does not look too good, but after CO2 and a few weeks things should get better.

So any ideas? Am I doign ok or should something be changed?

Any advise would be appreciated.

Have a good day.
Skyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2004, 12:07 PM   #2
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (3/100%)

Hello Skyfish and welcome to the forum.

As I read over your water para's they seem to be OK and not of much concern just yet but your lighting is the first major issue. That HAS to increased a.s.a.p. or the plants you bought are doomed.
Lighting is the first and foremost issue here, CO2 wont do nothing without good lighting.
Also, do not use liquid ferts in this tank right away, especially with that lighting issue, plants only need to be fed when they are pushed into growth by lighting. All you will grow is algae with your current lights.

Also, You say it is "heavily planted"... be sure to have in that list a lot of fast growing type plants that draw nutrients from the water column. (Hygro's,Mosses,Ferns,etc.)
Swords, Anubia's, Crypts are NOT to be considered of any value for the establishment of a tank.

Get lights yesterday, not tomorrow...

I look forward to your progress reports...
Old 05-31-2004, 12:31 PM   #3
Skyfish
Algae Grower

Buck

Thank you for the scolding, I needed that. Also thanks for the welcome.

After posting the message, I went out and got the light fixtures and am on my way to the carpenter to get the wood to build the canopy, I will sleep tonight when it's done!

I know what you mean about the light as a few of my newly plants are slightly turning brown.

I will do it 'yesterday'.

Then do the CO2.

I'll upload some pics soon.

Old 05-31-2004, 08:09 PM   #4
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (3/100%)

LOL ... Sorry Sky, It wasn't meant to sound like a scolding but if it helped... you are welcome... Your plants will love you for the light...
Old 05-31-2004, 11:09 PM   #5
Vinlo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

For sure ditch the fizz factory. I used to use that contraption.. it was useless. DIY with 2-2l (or maybe 1) bottles will do wonders in your tank with the new light!
Old 06-01-2004, 06:22 AM   #6
Skyfish
Algae Grower

Buck - Stayed up till 2am and finished the hood with the light fixtures, on my way now to get the bulbs and I will be up and running in a few hours.

Just a little advise, I am thinking of painting the inside of the hood white which should glow and throw back some of the light into the tank. I could also put foil paper. What is best?

Vinlo - And I paid $26 for the fizz too but I will get rid of it. Now that the light project is done, I am starting work on the DIY CO2. I don't get 2L bottles here so I am going to use 2.25L and from what I read, this system works. I still need some minor parts like bulkhead to seal the caps. I am going to have the airline run from the generator, to a small plastic coke bottle then out into the powerhead reactor. I like this coz if the water siphons back, it falls into the extra bottle and vice versa. I saw many designs on the net but this I found best, I don't have the link on hand, it's in my other PC. I post the link here later. Ummm you you said 2 2L bottles, would that be ok? or shall I just stick to one? The design I just mentioned also showed 2 bottles.

Thank you, I will post my progress soon.
Old 06-01-2004, 02:10 PM   #7
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Paint the inside of the canopy white. It works better than foil.

Marcel
FILSTAR Pimp #2

75 gal heavily planted,50/50 Black beauty,Eco-complete substrate, Pressurised CO2 with solenoid, ph controller, AB Reactor 1000, 330 watts 9325K GE PC lighting,Ehiem Liquidoser, 2-Filstar xp3 canisters.
m.lemay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 09:46 PM   #8
malkore
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.lemay
Paint the inside of the canopy white. It works better than foil.

Marcel
Specifically paint it glosso white, and use 2-3 coats. If you're not spending cash in good Miro reflectors, then white paint is the next best thing. You'll see people mention using mylar...but unless you glued it to some angled wood to make the light actually reflect back like a Miro reflector, the mylar is a waste.

Go with white paint, and you can easily add reflectors if you feel the need. (www.ahsupply.com for reflectors, about $15.99 for one that fits a 55/65watt power compact bulb)
Filstar XP2 PIMP #3
Visit my aquarium pages - see specs on my tanks, and photos of how they've evolved
malkore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 10:14 PM   #9
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (174/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkore
Go with white paint, and you can easily add reflectors if you feel the need. (www.ahsupply.com for reflectors, about $15.99 for one that fits a 55/65watt power compact bulb)
**** wondering if they ship to Dubai ****

Good points though. Two bottles will supply CO2 more evenly than one, especially if you change them alternating.
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 10:57 PM   #10
Vinlo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyfish
Vinlo - And I paid $26 for the fizz too but I will get rid of it. Now that the light project is done, I am starting work on the DIY CO2. I don't get 2L bottles here so I am going to use 2.25L and from what I read, this system works. I still need some minor parts like bulkhead to seal the caps. I am going to have the airline run from the generator, to a small plastic coke bottle then out into the powerhead reactor. I like this coz if the water siphons back, it falls into the extra bottle and vice versa. I saw many designs on the net but this I found best, I don't have the link on hand, it's in my other PC. I post the link here later. Ummm you you said 2 2L bottles, would that be ok? or shall I just stick to one? The design I just mentioned also showed 2 bottles.
I feel your pain, I shelled out the same thing for the fizz factory when I started. I ran the exact same DIY system you are describing on my 30g before I went to high pressure. I ran two 2l bottle to a third smaller empty bottle then to a DIY gravel vac reactor (run with a powerhead). It worked very well.. I got a decent amount of CO2 into the tank. I changed a bottle every 1.5-2 weeks depending on how lazy I got (always have a relatively fresh bottle on the go). I didn't use the bulkhead fitting I just drilled a hole slightly smaller than the air tubing and pulled the tubing through.. makes a good seal on it's own, added some sealant to be sure though. Go with one 2.25l and see how that works for you, if after a couple weeks you think you could use more then get another.. it's not very expensive to get another (at least around here it isn't )
Old 06-02-2004, 06:45 AM   #11
Skyfish
Algae Grower

Thumbs up

First of all thank you for all the response. This forum is really great. All of you people are amazing and so helpful. I have tried other forums but here people care. The objective of having a hobby, any hobby, is not only to enjoy it yourself but also to help out someone in need. What a wonderful thing it is to share what you have learnt. Iíll stop here before this page gets gooey and soggy!! Thank you everyone.

Buck - My canopy is up and running, I now have 3 x 18w Sera ďPlant ColorĒ and it looks GREAT, I can see my plants and fishes now!! LOL, I have no more room for a 4th bulb.

Lemay Ė Yes I have decided to use white paint and glossy finish as Malkore has suggested.

Malkore Ė I live across the world in Dubai, so I donít think I cam order from the US. I went round to all the local hardware stores here, no one has reflectors , the LFS have it but like 10 bucks a pop to fit a 24 inch bulb, I do have one piece, but I am not spending more on it. Defeats the purpose of DIY. Also itís not because I cannot afford it. I just donít like paying to someone who cares more about making money then doing it for the love of the game Itís not like the DIY CO2 where you have to change every couple of weeks, then you get tired and say screw it, go for the cylinder. Iíll stick with the paint job for now, when I travel to Hong Kong in July Iíll see if they have anything cheap.

Wasser Ė LOL no they donít!

Vinlo Ė I am going for the exact same system, generator into a smaller 2nd bottle and to the powerhead gravel vac reactor. Iíll go for one bottle and then have an extra inlet ready for the 2nd generator. Again my purpose of doing the DIY thing is to learn. The ďSeraĒ dealer is getting the pressurized CO2 system next month, it will cost about $135. Also I checked with one shop in Hong Kong and they have a brand called Papillon, from Italy, and that costs $130. Even if I make one myself, it will come to about that much anyway, so better a manufactured one.

I am trying to get it up and running by Friday. My LFS is receiving a new shipment of plants by Saturday, so once I am done, Iíll take photos and show you guys. Holy cow, this reply is way too long!!

Old 06-02-2004, 07:20 AM   #12
Skyfish
Algae Grower

A quick question hereÖ

Below the surface of the water, when illuminated, I can see the water is slightly milky, is this due to the tank still being new? I read in another post where it was mentioned that this is due to the GH? My KH and GH as you can see above are both 6, at last count. I know the PH will drop once I add CO2.

How can I make the water crystal clear? I have seen tanks where you CANíT see the water, as if the fishes were floating around. I know I am pushing things, now that I have light, and CO2 soon, then wait for the tank to cycle, water changes, plants to start flourishing, things will get clear up?
Old 06-02-2004, 02:22 PM   #13
malkore
Planted Tank Guru

Sky,
I missed your location..sorry about that...but at least other readers might benefit from my post

New tanks go through a maturing process. That white, milky surface 'scum' is basically a layer of proteins that is building up. Water changes will remove it...and you could also use clean paper towels, floated on the surface, to absorb the gunk.

If you're talking about a white haze in the water itself, that's a bacterial bloom, which will clear up on it's own as the tank cycles out.
Filstar XP2 PIMP #3
Visit my aquarium pages - see specs on my tanks, and photos of how they've evolved
malkore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 04:03 AM   #14
Rosko_22
Planted Member

Quote:
Skyfish: I had some driftwood but they started leaching so i took them out last friday and did a 50% water change. Now my water is slightly cloudy, I suppose it will clear up in a few weeks with more water change?
Do you plan on keeping the driftwood out?

When I added mine I first soaked it in a bucket of warm water for a couple weeks, replacing the water every other day.
It still stained the water a bit once in the tank, but after a few weeks of water changes and filtration it cleared up. My water has been crystal clear ever since.
Rosko_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 07:29 AM   #15
Skyfish
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosko_22
Do you plan on keeping the driftwood out?

When I added mine I first soaked it in a bucket of warm water for a couple weeks, replacing the water every other day.
It still stained the water a bit once in the tank, but after a few weeks of water changes and filtration it cleared up. My water has been crystal clear ever since.
Roska - No I will put at least one piece back in as soon as it stops bleeding. I have had them in the bucket for a week now with a daily water change. I will keep doing it for another 2 weeks or so. I love drift wood they look so natural.

Malkore - thanks for the advise, I think it's just bacterial bloom, it's not 'scum' at all, just a haze and evident when the lights are on, I'll leave it be to cycle through. I went out and spent some money last night, got myself a "Atman" canister filter 450L/Hour, this brand is from China and has been around for over 12 years. Ths company saw that Ehiem was doing well back then, so they made an exact replica at 1/3rd the cost. I paid US$63.00!! only without the media which cost me another $17.00. I will install it today. My DIY CO2 is ready, I just have to make the goo and get it going.

I will keep you updated.