20 do’s and don’ts for a great aquascape - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 01-06-2009, 07:05 PM   #16
imeridian
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (47/100%)
Send a message via AIM to imeridian

Nah, I think it's helpful. You put together a list of the various things that you personally find appealing and unappealing, the presentation as "do & don't" just hits nerves... we, as a group, really hate being told what to do... even when we ask for advice.
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2009, 07:08 PM   #17
Church
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

^ Well said. And Lee, I think your list is very informative. Not necessarily something I would follow to the tee, but it was informative nonetheless. Good job!
Church is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2009, 12:16 AM   #18
Complexity
Pelvicachromis Lover!

PTrader: (34/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
But based on the feedback I don't think it was very helpful.
I kind of thought you (and any poster in your position) would feel that way which is why I wanted you to know that it's nothing personal and not a big deal. I think we're all guilty having times when we don't use the best possible words to express our thoughts. I know I am! It's normal and not a problem. It's clear you intended to be helpful, and that's what really counts.
Vicki —Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) • Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) • Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

• 90g - Journal Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' —— • 75g - Journal Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red' Better Pics 8-24
• 29g - Journal Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' —-- • 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
• 5g - RCS colony —————————————————— • 2.5g - Journal Retired
Complexity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2009, 02:40 AM   #19
KDahlin
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (31/100%)

I think it was useful. There's always going to be disagreement when it comes to art. I took from this list the points that I liked and thought I might want to incorporate into my next scape and rejected the ones that didn't work for me.

"We are living on this planet as if we have another one to go to". T. Swearingen
KDahlin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2009, 02:45 AM   #20
Gatekeeper
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (93/100%)

#4 on the "don't list" is thrown out the door on the first picture. Tank looks banging to me.
Old 01-07-2009, 02:38 PM   #21
brinks
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Lee I think that list like yours are helpful, if only to get other people to post their thoughts. I am sure we are all smart enough to know which of the do's and don'ts we want to follow. As I have only one tank, I bend the rules often, because I like to try different plants and see how they do, you never know when you will find a good one. Haven't had much luck with red, so I have distroyed don't #4, lol.
brinks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2009, 10:28 PM   #22
wug
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

I think this was very helpful. My second hobby is bonsai. And it like aquascaping is an artform. There are general guidelines in bonsai that people follow to make a tree look good. But, again it is subject to personal taste. I appreciate you posting this.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:15 PM   #23
Gr8_Laker

PTrader: (0/0%)

Thanks Lee! I am working on my 'scape and wish I had seen this earlier. It's the concepts that are important, and judging my tank against your list helps me understand where I might need improvement.
Gr8_Laker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2009, 05:06 AM   #24
sewingalot
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)

Great list for beginners wanting to know what to shoot for and what rules to break. Good job. I think I hit on at least 19 of the don'ts though.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:40 AM   #25
Lee
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

Ok, thanks guys. I will post some more aquascaping ideas later. But first I'm going to see how my tank turns out using these techniques.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2009, 07:32 AM   #26
airborne_r6
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to airborne_r6

I think it is very helpful toward identifying why something looks good and why something else just doesnt look right. I definitely agree that individual satisfaction is the most important element when designing a layout and the basic things outlined here can give someone with no experience like me a good place to start.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:47 PM   #27
fastfreddie
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)

I just have to compliment the type of people that are on this forum. I think this thread speaks volumes about the kindness and sophistication of the planted tank crowd. After the first few critiques of this thread, many people came back (mostly those who had critiqued) with reassurance that Lee's ideas were helpful, appreciated, and most of all, uniquely her's. (or his? )

I have read this same type of support, time and time again on TPT. I think that's why it's so easy to spend hours scrolling these pages.

Sorry to get all cheesy, but this is just very refreshing after seeing peoples AWFUL hate-filled comments on larger sites like youtube.

Just my 2 cents.....

Freddie
Old 01-20-2009, 08:52 PM   #28
fastfreddie
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Complexity View Post
How about this?
I think the most important thing for each person to remember is to express their own selves and to make the tank become whatever feels good to them.
I once heard you give advice to a guy looking for help on his scape. You told him that most people would try not to make it look so symmetrical, but you could tell by his personality that the symmetry in his tank was probably comforting to him, so he should stick with it..... Great advice
Old 01-20-2009, 11:34 PM   #29
solution7
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to solution7 Send a message via MSN to solution7 Send a message via Yahoo to solution7

I like this thread a lot. I am new to aquascaping, I have kept plants in my tanks for years real low tech.

It is great to have suggestions like these here, and I like hearing not everyone is following the rules to T. I most certainly threw things together willy nilly in my tank and am learning as I go. I will always keep it the way I like it not the way the "book" says as per say. I guess if I was in contests and things then I would be more technical about my aquascape otherwise I am fine with it looking good to "me" .or even just me.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:09 PM   #30
rountreesj
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)

Oh boy...

I read it and was like..."well to make ANY of my dream scapes, I would probably follow most, if not all, of these rules". Than I read a lot of the nay sayers' thoughts and it kinda agrivated me(not a lot...just a little).

Yes it is your tank and by all means do what you like with it. But show me one amano scape that doesn't follow these rules. And that being said...show me one amano scape you wouldnt put anywhere in your house.

That being said...yes there are some rules that can be broken or twisted, but most of these ideas rules have been formed over time and have been proven to work pretty well. I see tanks a lot of times and I think "if only the'd remove that huge plant" or "man if they just slope a little more" or "man what plant do they NOT have..." etc...

The point I guess I'm trying to make is don't call the original poster out for not seeing everyone's personal taste in aquascaping...because deep down... I think most of the experienced aquascapers accept and practice these rules... There is an art to aquascaping, and just like painting or sculptin, you CAN do whatever you like...but most of the really "great" works are created following the rules that apply to that form of art...

Sorry if I stepped on anyone's toes...just had to put my two cents in...
rountreesj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.