Redclaw Shrimp? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 01-10-2009, 01:38 PM   #16
zoologist101
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I keep Endlers in my long-arm shrimp tank. The Endlers breed like rabbits, but the shrimp keep their numbers down to a manageable level. Balance of nature at work...
zoologist101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2009, 07:37 PM   #17
quiverpigeon
Algae Grower

Ha! That's good to hear Gobies. =D Not sure how the power play stands between mine. The larger one has longer claws, but they're more light-weight and she always tend to back off from the other shrimp, even though she's bigger. Always entertaingin how they change when they're all naked and vulnerable though. =)
Zoologist- That's a great idea, especially if they're as prolific as they sound! Seems a bit of an intense life for the Endlers, but like you say, nature at work. =)
What size tank do you have them in?
quiverpigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 08:14 PM   #18
Gobies et al
Algae Grower

zoologist101 - How many of them did you keep in what size tank? I'll keep Endlers in mind. Mine are in with a couple of Pomacea canaliculata, a Zebra snail, and a few young Neocaridina heteropoda. They ignore the snails and may get the occasional shrimp. Are you able to tell with mine what sex they probably are?

jphan - How many did you end up with? How big a tank did you keep them in? Do you still have them?

quiverpigeon - Keep us posted about the female carrying eggs! I would like to hear how that turns out.
Gobies et al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 09:22 AM   #19
zoologist101
Algae Grower

This is my tank. 18 inches long, heavily planted, rocks and bogwood, internal filter, low light, no ferts or CO2. I have six adults, and several youngsters [don't know how many as they keep their heads down while they are small]
Yours look like females to me, Gobies. The arms on an adult male would be much longer.
Old 01-11-2009, 08:48 PM   #20
Gobies et al
Algae Grower

Could you please post a picture showing the length of the males arms. I know some of the males will grow a large claw, but hadn't been aware of difference in length for sexing. I was going more by depth of body.

Here is a different view of the larger shrimp.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0117.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	11470  

Old 01-12-2009, 12:18 PM   #21
zoologist101
Algae Grower

That picture looks to me like a male, Gobies.
It's not easy to tell the sex until they are nearly adult, and you really need one of each for comparison.
The largest male I ever saw [the father of all my shrimps, from the I guy mine originally came from] was over 4 inches long, with enormous arm and claws. The Alpha male in the tank grows much bigger than the other males, maybe because he gets the most food, or perhaps the secondary males somehow restrict their growth so as not to be a challenge to him. I know that when this BIG DADDY died, one of the other males began to outgrow all his brothers [new alpha male, I guess].
Old 01-12-2009, 05:47 PM   #22
Gobies et al
Algae Grower

I came across this site today with pictures of many different species and often showing both sexes. Going from this, I would be inclined to say I have female Dagoba-Glasgarnele M. australe. The male is very heavy looking.

http://www.infochembio.ethz.ch/links...e_garnele.html

Maybe you will be able to match yours up quiverpigeon.

Thoughts?
Old 01-12-2009, 10:13 PM   #23
quiverpigeon
Algae Grower

Wow, that's a great resource, good find gobies! Wish more of these shrimp sites were in English, so many of them seem to be in German.

Had a brief scout through that immense list, and M. Lanchesteri is still the most likely looking for mine.
It's hard to say though, as so many of them only show the males, and the females seem to be a lot less distinctive, or with the main distinctions of the males a lot less apparent.

She's just shed again, so she'll no doubt fill with un-fertilised eggs again..
Still keeping my fingers crossed that one of the juveniles is a male of the same species..
Old 01-13-2009, 09:10 AM   #24
quiverpigeon
Algae Grower

Sure enough, she's berried again. Very pale green eggs, maybe 1mm diameter. They're partly dangling out of her swimmerets. She's been getting them every moult for a good few months now. She normally just eats them over a few days.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:41 PM   #25
Gobies et al
Algae Grower

Does she drop the eggs unhatched? Have you seen her eat the eggs?

You could try putting her into a separate container/tank, soon after she berries, with lots of plants and remove her once she drops the eggs. The eggs may hatch into a larval state where they float in the water column for a period of time.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:54 PM   #26
quiverpigeon
Algae Grower

Since owning her, she's berried maybe 4-5 times, but I've never seen larvae in the tank. I have seen her reaching up into her swimmerets with her smaller claws, then moving them back to her mouth. After a few days, all the eggs are gone, and she doesn't eat anything else during this time. I've never seen her actually dispersing, or laying the eggs and the tank she is in now has lots of plants.
I've kinda need assuming that the eggs would need to be fertilised before they would hatch, is this not the case?
Would have paid a lot more attention if I thought there was a chance they'd actually hatch!
Old 01-13-2009, 05:57 PM   #27
Gobies et al
Algae Grower

I don't know if they can be prehit. I wasn't aware they would drop unfertilized eggs.

Tags
macro, macrobrachium, shrimp