Redclaw Shrimp?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Shrimp & Other Invertebrates

Old 01-05-2009, 09:59 AM   #1
quiverpigeon
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Redclaw Shrimp?

Hi everyone!
This is my first post on here, just wondering if you guys could help me out.
A few months ago, I bought some amano's from my lfs as I wanted to try keeping shrimp..
They were quite young, and all about the same size and colour, but one was slightly larger, and had a long set of claws on the front.
I didn't think much of this at the time, and being new to shrimp thought this was probably just a male or something.
As time passed though, the amanos finished growing at about 1.5" but this one kept growing until she's now up to around 2.5".
She fills with eggs after each moult, so I now know she's a female. I've had to separate her into a tank of her own as she attacks the other shrimp, as well as minnows and betta fish, so she's no coward!
As far as I can tell by researching on the net, she seems to be a red claw macro, but I'm a long way from certain.
I'll attach some pics, and perhaps someone here will have a better idea?

Recently at the same lfs, I found they had another shrimp very similar to her that they've apparently had for a few months. They don't really have a clue what type it is, and sold him to me as a ghost shrimp. I'm thinking that the two of them may have come in in the same batch, with the amanos. The shrimp I've just purchased is happily co-habiting with the female, and is slightly more brown and speckled, with heavier claws, so I can only guess he's a male of the same ro at least a similar species.
I don't have any pics of him yet, but will try to get some some.
He is slightly smaller in the body than she is, and that with the colour difference makes me wonder about the species.
He seems to be closer to the typical colours of a red claw than she is though, with the striped claws alternating light and dark brown.

Is there much chance of them breeding together?
Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated.
Many thanks..
Q.
Attached Images

quiverpigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2009, 11:26 AM   #2
zoologist101
Algae Grower

If they are red claw shrimp Macrobrachium assamense and I can't tell from the picture the male will be bigger than the female, with much larger claws. They are highly aggressive towards anything else in the tank, including each other. But they will breed, at least mine do.
zoologist101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 11:53 AM   #3
quiverpigeon
Algae Grower

Ah, just checked a vid on youtube, and see what you mean about the males.. Perhaps I have two females then. They seem to get on very well together though. When I first put them in the same tank, they found each other, had a quick sniff, and they've stayed out of each others way since then.
Thanks for the info anyway. =)
Old 01-05-2009, 05:24 PM   #4
zoologist101
Algae Grower

Yup, sounds like two females. When 'HE' turns up it's like King Kong has arrived lots of girlie screaming, and any minor Kong is likely to lose one/both arms, and then his life..!
Old 01-05-2009, 07:05 PM   #5
quiverpigeon
Algae Grower

Wow, sounds pretty intense!
Just bought a couple of young'uns that look identical to the larger shrimp when she was young, so fingers crossed one of them will be a male. They're quite cute either way. =)
Old 01-06-2009, 03:28 PM   #6
quiverpigeon
Algae Grower

Few more pics..
Attached Images

Old 01-07-2009, 10:33 AM   #7
quiverpigeon
Algae Grower

She actually looks just like these macrobrachium lanchesteri (glasgarnel: german for glass shrimp?)
Maybe..

http://flickr.com/photos/8961888@N06/2091830186/
Old 01-07-2009, 03:11 PM   #8
oblongshrimp
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (120/100%)

Here are some pictures of mine. So far they haven't been difficult to breed and I currently have a bunch of babies running around in the tank. Its hard to tell from your picture if they are indeed red claw macros. You should be able to see the red claws on the females (even though they are much smaller then the males). Additionally mine look to have greenish eggs. Hope this helps.

http://www.theshrimptank.com/RedClawMacro.shtml
oblongshrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 02:38 PM   #9
quiverpigeon
Algae Grower

Wow, those are great pics! Cheers.. =)
I changed the lighting arrangement and added some plants last night, and they've both become a lot more active and easier to see now. The shrimp in the pictures does have a slight red tinge to her claws, but comparing her to your wonderful specimens, I'm really doubting that she's a red claw. She does have greenish eggs too though, lots of little tiny ones, maybe 0.5mm.
Pretty sure the new addition is a female of a different macro species, as there's quite a difference between the two of them really. They seem happy together though so I'll just keep an eye on them.
Thanks for your help though anyway. =)
Old 01-08-2009, 03:06 PM   #10
zoologist101
Algae Grower

Mine are considerably darker than yours no transparency to the body at all. Also, my largest male was 4 inches long..!
Old 01-08-2009, 09:43 PM   #11
oblongshrimp
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (120/100%)

The eggs of mine were quite large (for shrimp eggs). They were larger then neocaridina species eggs (probably twice as large or more). I was thinking his red claws looked on the clear side as well. Most of my pictures were not of the adults as they were not playing along with the camera.
oblongshrimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 10:04 PM   #12
Gobies et al
Algae Grower

I think mine is M. cf lanchesteri. I purchased this one as a "ghost shrimp". I picked up another a while later. That one is darker colored but the legs are the same color. I keep them in a 10 g. with a couple of Apple snails (in quarantine). Presently he is ~ 2" and growing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0011.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	11436  

Name:	IMG_0002.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	11437  

Gobies et al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 03:25 PM   #13
quiverpigeon
Algae Grower

Hey Gobies, she does look very similar to your shrimp indeed!
Can't be sure, but think right now I'd put my money on her being M. Lanchesteri.
The newer female is different though, similar shape, but the eyes are set closer together, and she's a much darker opaque sandy brown colour.
Not sure how yours behave when they're shedding, but yesterday morning found them both up at the top of the plants, right at the waters surface. I thought I'd done something massively wrong and that the darker one had pretty much had it. Removed the new plants and did a quick water change hoping that that would help, but it seemed to have little effect. Then after an hour or so, she shed and has been fine ever since.
It was just odd that she went from hiding most of the time, to suddenly being an extrovert as she was shedding. I always though it was supposed to be the other way round. She wouldn't let any of the other shrimp near her thought, when normally she's not too bothered. Not sure if anyone's noticed anything similar, or if this is just normal?
Old 01-09-2009, 10:48 PM   #14
Gobies et al
Algae Grower

That neat, quiverpigeon!

The bigger one of mine is my extrovert. The other stays out of the way and moves back deeper in the tank when trying to get a picture of it. When the larger molted, the smaller did a personality reversal and was very much in the face of the other larger one. The freshly molted would retreat. After about 24 hrs they were back to normal with the smaller avoiding the larger. I think there is a pheromone release when the females molt. I think mine are both females but neither have berried. Their color has darkened quite a bit in the time that I have had them.

This is my smaller one...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0003.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	11444  

Gobies et al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 11:50 PM   #15
jphan
Planted Tank Obsessed

lol i had those shrimp b4 i bought 2 dollars worth of ghost shrimp and i got those as ghost shrimp. They are quite aggressive every time i would add fish into the tank they would start attacking them
jphan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
macro, macrobrachium, shrimp