ada/sand scape
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 01-02-2009, 09:18 AM   #1
amano101
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

ada/sand scape

im planning on doing the classic amano aquasoil/sand scape (aquasoil in the back left and right corners, and sand in the entire front with a stream of sand leading towards the back about 2/3 on the right). some say it's a pain because of the extra maitenence, but i think it sounds sort of calming in a strange way, and really doesnt sound like that much more work. my reason for writing this thread is to ask you guys that have amano scapes, what you guys think (likes and dislikes).

Last edited by amano101; 01-05-2009 at 05:32 AM..
amano101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2009, 07:27 PM   #2
cdub1955
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

I am not an expert in any fashion, however I started out with this type of aquascape, Amazonian II, and bright sand... I later just covered up the sand with a layer of Amazonian...I just ultimately did not like the result of the different layers. Here are some pictures:

Name:  IMG_1269.JPG
Views: 421
Size:  67.5 KB

Name:  IMG_1284.JPG
Views: 465
Size:  47.9 KB
cdub1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 01:32 AM   #3
unirdna
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

Keeping the two substrate separate is a daunting task. Your best bet is to cover the seam with a wide shelf of moss/riccia/etc. I found having a dual substrate to be too much trouble. I went from sand/AS to only AS to only sand.

See the ADA jounal link in my sig for further details.

ADA 90p - Set up April 2007 - Journal
46g - Terminated March 2007 - Journal
unirdna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 11:28 AM   #4
roybot73
The Circumloctioner

PTrader: (37/100%)

Agree with unirdna here -- My 60-P was a huge pain to keep clean, especially with Amano shrimp - they love to mess things up. Even with the moss covered rocks as a "barrier", it still got very messy. I ended up siphoning out all of the sand, and replacing with Aquasoil.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:36 PM   #5
MrJG
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (114/100%)

Thirded<-- is that a word? Haha.

I finally just removed the sand from both of my aquasoil tanks. Looks decent if you have the time and patience to maintain it... otherwise the two will mix together at some point.
The only way I would consider using the combo again would be an island type scape where there is a significant retaining wall between the two.
And for what its worth I wouldn't call any of my "scapes" at this point more than amateur learning tools much less amanoesque. BTW I'm making up all new words all day today.
MrJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 06:36 PM   #6
thief
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)

I am no expert either but I think the key to using both is having some sort of carpet plant grow over the AS then lay down the sand so then you don't have your shrimps carrying as much if not at all any of the AS. There by preserving your beautiful sandy river. Other than that not sure how else to keep them separated and looking nice.
thief is offline   Reply With Quote