Plants and Fishless Cycling?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 05-29-2004, 02:02 AM   #1
YourPalCM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Plants and Fishless Cycling?

Hello Plant people!

I'll be setting up a 46g tank with live plants for the first time. (It's time to make that next step to live plants!) I am considering fishless cycling (yes, it does work! See this link for anyone who's never tried it... http://www.tomgriffin.com/aquamag/cycle2.html)

Maybe this is a silly question, but is there any reason that fishless cycling would harm the plants in any way? Plants should speed the process, so I wouldn't know why this would be a problem. Just thought I'd ask.

YPCM
YourPalCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2004, 08:02 AM   #2
ninoboy
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

Hi Ypcm,

Cycling planted tank is a bit different than regular fishless cycling. If you plant densely in the beginning, you may not see any ammonian nor nitrite spike at all. Plants use them. So, it's actually safe to add some fish slowly a few days or a week after you plant your tank. It's not considered fully cycled but won't harm the fish since there are no spikes. However, you have to start with many fast fgrowing stem plants to make sure they use those nutrients.

Fishless cycling will not harm plants. Having fish in planted tank will supply some nitrate from their waste but if you do fishless cycling with ammonia to start with, there shouldn't be any problem.
Eheim Pimp #21 (2) 2028 and auto feeder
ninoboy is offline   Reply With Quote