Good Article on Overdriving
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 05-28-2004, 11:36 AM   #1
RoseHawke
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke

Good Article on Overdriving

Someone may have already found this article (heck, the author may be a member for all I know ), but I found it to be excellent in explaining overdriving in terms most everybody can understand.

ODNO Lighting

Cindy
RoseHawke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2004, 02:45 PM   #2
John P.
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

This contains the same text as well as pictures:
http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/l...229472000.html

Maybe a little more helpful.

I still can't decide whether I'm going to mess with this, or just buy an AH Supply 96-watt kit.
John P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2004, 05:13 PM   #3
Desolas
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

It sounds reasonably economical, and replacement bulbs are sure cheaper than buying PC bulbs. In theory you could setup a 24" four light fixture for around $80-90. That's not bad. I think I may try it out just so I can purchase the parts locally instead of mail ordering all of my bulbs.

However reading about ODNO I find a lot of these guys profess themselves as being self taught electrical gurus, yet nobody posts a simply wiring diagram that would be much easier to read than ten paragraphs describing how the ballast is wired. Or when a picture of a diagram is up it's pretty poor quality.
Desolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 05:48 AM   #4
ninoboy
Wannabe Guru

Desolas,
You could look the article area in this forum and there is an ODNO article with a diagram. Honestly, you don't need to be electrician to do this. It's pretty simple once you have all the stuffs in front of you. I don't quite get it also by looking at the pictures before.
Eheim Pimp #21 (2) 2028 and auto feeder
ninoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 12:22 AM   #5
zapus
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Is there any danger of increased amounts of uv light leaking past the phosphor coating on the tubes when they are overdriven? (See http://www.thekrib.com/Lights/fluor-goldwasser.html for a description of how fluorescent tubes work). I seem to remember reading somewhere about some of the coral reefers burning their inverts by overdriving bulbs, but don't remember exactly where I saw it...
zapus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 04:43 PM   #6
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

Good writeup. A little wordy with not enough pictures, but very comprehensive indeed. It was especially interesting to reach the section entitled "Aquarium use with overdriven bulbs" and start to really recognize the text. It's pretty much an adaptation from this site's ODNO article...
http://www.plantedtank.net/odno.html
I suppose imitation is the highest form of flattery but this guy could have at least asked!
As for UV light leaking past phosphors, I really don't see it happening at these levels with a bulb in good condition. It's an interesting theory, though, and I'd love to read more about it. Unfortunately, many aquarists all too often are quick to find a scapegoat for poor husbandry so I am immediately skeptical when the hardware is blamed.
Old 06-03-2004, 04:02 AM   #7
Daemonfly
Planted Tank Obsessed

It's actually all copied word-for-word from the forum thread - http://www.plantedtank.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=194

Mostly, everything is what you've said, Gulf.
Daemonfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 08:00 PM   #8
RoseHawke
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonfly
It's actually all copied word-for-word from the forum thread - http://www.plantedtank.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=194

Mostly, everything is what you've said, Gulf.
Arrgghh. What goes around comes around; the internet is just too darned big!

And I would have sworn I checked out everything on ODNO lighting on this site! Actually, I'm with Desolas, though, when it comes to diagrams/pix etc. I'm no stranger to electrical wiring (I've about re-wired this whole fardling house,) but somehow this is different and I've not found any pix/diagrams that I would say are clear and concise.
RoseHawke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2004, 05:13 AM   #9
Daemonfly
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yeah, most of the guides I've seen have all been text-only. Gulf's article is one of the first I've seen with good, detailed pics for visual refference.
Old 06-06-2004, 11:18 PM   #10
jart
Wannabe Guru

the reef central thread that gca refers to in his article has some schematics as well. it is looooong tho.
jart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 03:39 AM   #11
Daemonfly
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ah. Well, I check these forums at work, and my wonderful place of employment has a really great firewall that happily blocks that link, for it's own wonderful reasons

>_<
Old 06-07-2004, 12:12 PM   #12
jart
Wannabe Guru

well df i have had trouble finding the reefcentral post from time to time as well. seems to me i went into the site before and searched but couldn't locate the thread. perhaps this link may work better for you (firewall permitting )

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showth...threadid=48133
jart is offline   Reply With Quote