Eleocahris 'Belem' and UG
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 12-22-2008, 08:10 PM   #1
Craigthor
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (188/100%)

Eleocahris 'Belem' and UG

Anyone have Eleocharis 'Belem' and UG in their tank together? Most of my tanks it going to be UG but the back right corner I'm adding some Eleocharis 'Belem' and was curious if anyone is growing this combo?

Craig
Craigthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2008, 01:53 AM   #2
Craigthor
Planted Tank Guru

If you had to choose which would you use and why.. I love the looks of both but not sure they complement each other.

Eleocharis 'Belem'- Fine Leaves, about 1.5" tall beautiful dark green, very grassy feel

UG- Broader leaves, slightly shorter, lime green, carnivorous.

Hmmmm....

Any suggestions?
Old 12-23-2008, 02:12 AM   #3
chase127
Anti iwagumi

PTrader: (113/99%)

personally, i like eleocharis better. thin grasses give off that jungle feeling i really like
chase127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 02:14 AM   #4
Craigthor
Planted Tank Guru

Yeah not really going for the jungle look more like a low lying grassy field. Both stay short but that eleocharis just seems to have this feel to it.

Keep the opinions coming....
Old 12-23-2008, 03:22 AM   #5
Ugly Genius
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

Craig, I've seen the two together and it looks phenomenal. I just tried finding the photo online, but I couldn't locate it. (If I do, I'll post it here.)

The ratio was 90% UG to 10% HG. The Eleocharis was most visible in the areas surrounding the rocks. Like I said, it was phenomenal. In my Mini-S I've got HG growing in the back behind the main rock and it was my goal to let the UG have a big head start so that it's firmly established by the time the HG comes around the bend.

I'd say let them both grow. It really looks cool.
Ugly Genius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 03:25 AM   #6
Craigthor
Planted Tank Guru

cool, that is about the ratio I have, The back right corner around he large rock in both directions several inches. I will try and get some pictures tomorrow.

Would love to see that picture if you find it. Maybe I can scatter some around the area that my rocks come together also.

It may be slightly visible in my nano forum thread that I started as I uploaded some new pictures earlier. Would still like to find another portion or 2 of UG to fill around abit more though.

Craig
Old 12-23-2008, 03:36 AM   #7
Ugly Genius
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

Craig, did you get your UG via mail? The reason I ask is that I've noticed that UG does not take time to adjust to a tank as many people say, but rather it seems to not do well when transported. Meaning, once you put it in your tank after it spent days in the dark, it loses some of it's vitality and takes about three weeks to "come back from the dead". Then it takes another two or so weeks to start spreading.

So any perceived lack of growth you might be seeing in your tank is just your UG catching its breath. I think you have enough in there as is, it just needs to rest before it spreads.

My first bit of UG was like that. It was not good at all. It took a long time to get back to full health, but eventually it did.
My second batch was super healthy and it took to all tanks I put in it as if it had been born there. Meaning to me that the plant doesn't need to adjust to a tank but needs to recover.
Ugly Genius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 03:41 AM   #8
Craigthor
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks, pretty sure I'm seeing a touch of new growth coming up so I think it will spread well. Thinking about putting some Eleocharis behind the left rock and inbetween the teh 3 rocks to mix it up abit. Leaving the rest of the tank UG.

I also have the following coming:

Hydrocotyle Verticillata
Mini Pellia
Dwarf Ricca
Fissidens Splachnobriodes

I love the look of UG with the Verticillata randomly appearing through it. Thinking of using the mini Pellia or ricca on the big rock on the right slope and teh fissidens if any of it make it here alive on the center somewhere.

Oh well I should move this over to my journal.

Craig