My 10 gal, 20gal to 55 gal low light tank progression! 56K 10/9/11 LOTS of new pics - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 02-05-2009, 08:45 PM   #16
CKJ
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Ok so here's some pics!

This is hard to tell but this is one of the berried shrimp!

Here's pics of some of the other shrimp!

Since i'm not so good with pics here are pics with the flash on and off of my tank!

Let me know if you have any good ideas as to where I can put some more java moss!

lol

Cindy
CKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2009, 09:25 PM   #17
redfalconf35
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

Your tank is progressing really well! I think the java moss would look great as a carpet in the foreground.
redfalconf35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:18 PM   #18
CKJ
Planted Tank Enthusiast

That sounds like a good idea! I've got quite a bit in the 10 gal!

That stuff for me attaches it's self pretty quickly to the gravel!

Cool Idea!

Thank you very much!!

Cindy
Old 02-05-2009, 10:55 PM   #19
Hilde
Planted Tank Guru

Flourish excel is good for killing the algae but it will come back if you don't correct the imbalance.

I found dosing KNO3 helped correct the imbalance in my tank which had BBA.
http://www.rexgrigg.com/dosing.htm

How about a full front view.
Hilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 11:29 PM   #20
CKJ
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The BBA problem has been corrected thankfully! Yay!

And those last two shots are full front pics. I just barely cun off the front corners maybe but that's a full front shot for the most part!

Thanks a bunch!
Old 02-11-2009, 03:38 PM   #21
daFrimpster
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)

your tanks are looking good. I pm'ed you about some extra plants I usually have. One I forgot to mention is dwarf sag.
  • 20g & 29g fw fish only
  • 10g Hex planted
  • 55g planted
  • 65g SW Macroalgae & Fish
  • 175g FW
daFrimpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 06:03 PM   #22
CKJ
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm so totally excited!!! I'm gonna meet Sam tomorrow at lunch and pick up some new plants!!! Yay!!!

It'll be so cool to have some different plants in the tank!!!

Hope the weather stays good for tomorrow! Think their calling for snow tomorrow!

So cool to know that there's another person around here that's into planted tanks!

lol

cindy
Old 03-03-2009, 04:54 AM   #23
CKJ
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well today I did it! I took the baby mollies out of the 10 gal fry tank and put them in the 20 gal tank!

Here's how it went!

I pulled all the plants out of the 10 gal tank including the my molly fry!

I did a very very thorough vaccumming and then I took the two driftwood peices out of the 20 gal and put them in the 10 gall and covered them with moss! I put back the roman collums and peices just because I needed something to add more java moss too and I have a TON of java moss from Sam!

I added the water letuce and oakleaf watersprite back as floaters!

I planted the (Not sure about the spelling) E. Tenellus stuff. Don't really like the stuff but it was there so I planted it! This tank has more light!

I scooped as many shrimp as I could and put them in the 10 gal and they looked so happy! I put in a tiny peice of an algea wafer later on they were all over it and hanging out on top of the standing columns!

The 10 gal shrimp tank has:
2 15 watt bulbs
Tons of java moss
a little e. tenellus
Floating oakleaf watersprite
floating water lettuce
driftwood
blue gravel

Here's some pics of what the 10 gal and it's inhabitants looks like now! Further back in this thread you can see how it looked before!

Now the 20 gal I tore apart too! I took everything out except the ship and skull to make it easier to catch the shimpies! I did see one very tiny baby shrimp and he wouldn't get into the net so I left him in there with a few other shrimp buddies!

I took the amazon swords out of the 10 gal and added them to the 20 gal! Replanted the "Forrest" as Matthew (my 7yr old calls it)! The forrest on the left consists of 3 anubias nana, and narrow leaf anubias and some amazon swords! I added back to this tank the java ferns and I left the java fern-wendelov attached to the ship and planted a little bit! Of course I added back more java moss! and I put the pennywort back in the corner again too!

This tank has a 15 watt bulb!

Both tanks just have heaters and hob filters! And just blue inert gravel! Oh and they have air stones too!

The inhabitants of this tank include:
1 clown pleco
1 otto catfish
1 twig catfish
8 neon tetras
2 adult gold dust lyre tail mollies
20 molly babies at least
4 rcs at least

A friend of mine just moved so i'm waiting for her to get her tank cycled and then some of the molly babies are going to live in a new home!

Here's what the 20gal tank looks like today!

Not my favorite but it'll do till I get a bigger tank!!!! I can't wait to get a bigger tank!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-05-2009, 01:17 AM   #24
sewingalot
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)

Huge improvements! I like the new scape. How are the RCS doing? They look very happy.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:55 PM   #25
CKJ
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thank you!!! Your so nice!

Well I haven't seen any berried shrimp in awhile. I hope they get going soon!

lol

Cindy
Old 05-17-2009, 05:01 AM   #26
CKJ
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I so need to update this thread!

My 10gal seems to be doing pretty good finally and for the first time ever I saw shrimp babies!!!! The java moss has grown like crazy!!!! And the oakleaf water sprite and water lettuce have taken over the surface!

The 20 gal i've kinda slacked off on but the plants and fish are doing fine!

The big news is that I found a 55gal take today at a garage sale but it's pretty scratched up and I paid 40.00 for it and it came with some decor which the only thing tha'll be good for is for pleco to hide in and something to put plants on! It also came with a hood and light and a marine land 400 something hob filter and a background, and a heater, a pump, 2 nets, and two breeder boxes and the weird thing that came with it was the cute little fishy wall hangings that were fish related but they belong on a wall and not in the tank!

But my molly babies are now in the 20 gal and there's probably about 15 of them and 8 neons, a pleco, and an otto so they are all long over due for some room. I so wish I could've been able to afford a new one but for now this is in my price range!

I do need to get pics of the 10 and 20 gal tanks before they get moved and taken apart once this new one gets cycled!

lol

Cindy
Old 05-20-2009, 03:31 AM   #27
CKJ
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Here's some updated pics of the 10gal shrimp tank that I just took!!

Here's a pic of a baby shrimp! Not the best but I was surprised I got one at all!

munching on an algea wafer piece

The whole tank! I think the java moss has really grown!

Since i've torn down the 20 gal and started a 55 gal should I start a new tank journal for it or just add it to this thread?

Thanks!!

Cindy
Old 08-06-2011, 04:27 AM   #28
CKJ
Planted Tank Enthusiast

OMG it's been a very long time since I updated this. I did set up the 55 gal finally. I'll post pics of how it's been so you can see how it changed and then i'll post about how it is now and come current pics and what i'm wanting to do to it. Guess I didn't take too many pics.

Starting with the oldest pics:

Now the newest pics:

For a good long while the tank has been empty of inhabitants ( But I kept the filter going and all and then a friend was taking his tank down and gave me all his fish which 4 of them are pretty big I thought compared to what we always used to have.
1-4in golden gourami
2-3 1/2in rainbows
2-3 in buenos aries tetras
1 small bloodfin tetra
1 small unknown tetra?
1 molly
1 loach of some kind
1 albino cory
1 other kind of cory
1 otto cat
1-4in common pleco

The only one that didn't survive was the molly. And do youthink in the future we might be able to ad a school of neon or cardinal tetras? If so how many is a good school?

But dang my java moss took over BIG TIME!!!! Still have some java ferns and anubias and anubias petite and the java moss?

Finally my son and I are looking for a more natural decor! So no more ship, skull, urn, roman columns, shell, or spongebob pineapplehouse either!!!!

We harvested a piece of wood from the burn pile in the back yard from a damaged and finally fallen branch from one of our oak trees! Right now it's in the tub still soaking in hopes that will make the bark a little easier to get off even though the branch has been off the tree for at least 6 mos.

Here's a pic of the piece we'll be looking to add to the tank!

I will have to trim off about 3 inches from those two smallest branches otherwise it's gonna be too wide for the tank.

We already have 2 smaller pieces of mopani wood in there about 5-6 inches long but they've been over taken by the java moss like everyting else in there. I'll be looking to get some more bigger anubias to put in their as well someday after the wood finally goes in.

We really miss our shrimpies but with the free fishies and the low budget we'll have to take small steps. There's tons of places to hide the way it is now but I don't think they'd last with th current habitants that we have right now. lol But i'd like to get rid of the blue rock as well someday! lol

Oh and since the new decor will consist of just wood and plants should I have any other decor for the loach that we never see and the pleco that we seldom see? Really not wanting to add that big sea shell but in his previous tank I guess he used to hide in there.

Tried growing swords before, probably that was in the 20 gal, and a few other plants but just can't seem to grow anything but the java moss, java ferns and anubias. Used to have some pennywort that did ok for a good while but never did get it to root and had a floater but never could get that to root either can't remember what that was.

So i'm open for some sugestion for some other easy almost no care low light plants. lol

I do have some flourish excel from a bba outbreak when we had the 20 gal and some seachem flourish root tabs that I never used.

Just hoping to make this as natural as we can with what we have with some suggestions to slowly add to the tank in the future.

Thanks for reading guys!
Old 08-06-2011, 05:38 AM   #29
10galfornow
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Pirates of the Caribbean and sponge bob. Lol
10galfornow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 03:38 PM   #30
CKJ
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yep I have 10 year old little boy. He's always enjoyed our fish tanks and helped alot with them.