Inaccurate Nitrate tests??? A WARNING TO NEWBIES!!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 05-26-2004, 04:14 PM   #1
fedge
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)

Inaccurate Nitrate tests??? A WARNING TO NEWBIES!!

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.u...?article_id=96

This article almost completely scares me.... MAN AM I WASTING MY MONEY OR WHAT?????

None of the nitrate test kits are really worth a poop.. it looks like... I ordered more Red Sea tests... man what a waste...

How am I supposed to trust that thing now..?

There is no REAL way of keeping an accurate Nitrate concentration in your water... you just have to dose a tad here and threre and watch what happens over a week or more....

SUCKS!!!! lots of companies put so much empasis on these "kits" and they really don't work worth a S**T! I think I accidentally overdosed my tank with KNo3...(mostlikely)...cause of this inaccuracy. Ohh well Ill watch it, and tomorrow I have to change water anyway.

Just a warning to everyone... don't think your test kit is 100% accurate... unless you can afford a real LAB test then you are just getting a best guess!!!! The best thing to do is to LEARN YOUR TANK! Or, in-other-words, learn what is the best dosage to make you tank flourish. If the plants grow good up to a point then stagnate.. test and make a guess... and take it slow when dosing higher levels.
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2004, 05:08 PM   #2
fedge
Planted Tank Obsessed

I JUST spoke to RED SEA about this test kit. They said that if the kit is kept around high heat areas(maybe like a airvent??) or if it is near its experation date it may be bad. HMM... 0285 10.... anyone know what date that is..looks like star date 0285.10 to me... what year is that anyway?? I told them that reagent A had sediment in the bottom that never went into suspension!! HMM... that could cause the problem The clincher was when I took about 1ml of my KNO3 fert (2tsp to 100ml) and added that to 5ml of water and let it set for 15 mins. It only read about a 10ppm!!! That CAN"T BE RIGHT!

I sent them my proof of purchase and etc and hopefully I will get a new test kit out of it...maybe
Old 05-26-2004, 07:02 PM   #3
jart
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

thanks. good link.

i received the seachem test kit from mops a few days ago since mops didn't have the red sea one in stock. looks like the seachem kit didn't fare too badly.

do you subscribe to this mag? i think it's a good one, from what i've seen. of course the deterrents would be the price and the existence of this forum...
jart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2004, 07:21 PM   #4
amanda huggenkiss
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Good article. Scary, but good. Thanks for the link, Fedge.

I just skimmed it quickly (supposed to be working right now ), but it didn't look like the author offered any recommendations. Do we just have to read through the results and draw our own conclusions? Doesn't look like any of them did well, does it?

wannacomewith.com
amanda huggenkiss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2004, 09:48 PM   #5
Rolo
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Fedge, so what's your particular experience? What are you finding wrong with your Red Sea kit. What kind of nutrients are you dosing? When do you test in relation to dosing?

I've used Red Sea NO3 kits and have had 100% success with them.

I read that article a long time ago and yeah, it points out that many NO3 kits suck (which is definately what I've been reading on many forums), but it does suggest that Red Sea is great, on which I hardly ever read complaints about.
Rolo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2004, 10:31 PM   #6
fedge
Planted Tank Obsessed

WELL... to rolo...

I am JUST starting my dosing...so im a little in-experianced thus far. I JUST got my big al's shipment today (all the test kits PO4, FE, NO3(replacement) , more Kh(was on-sale). Looks like most of my water is depleted. I got tons of hair algae growing on my back walls.. and on some plants(I did a bleach dip a couple of days ago..most plants are just NOW bouncing back!)

I dosed KN03 cause I knew nitrates were low..or thought so anyway. I got it up to about 10ppm+ (according to my NEW Red Sea test kit)!! What I did was I shook and shook and shook, and had my wife shake and shake and shake the bottle... then I took the dropper topper off(like that name) and physically crushed the sediment to powder...now it works great (new test kit though)

I contacted Red Sea today and sent them a complaint about the regents not working, in my old test kit..(head to head test of old and new kit showed a BIG difference!!) They are sending me a replacement. I am very satisfied with that...they could of just blew me off!.. not much I could do about it either. BTW it read about 45% off from other test kits and the coloration was about 1/3 as deep.

Now I got to figure out how to dose my other nutrients... I got some skrimps to deal with the algae (hope they and the ottos can deal with it a little).

Some further warnings.. the red sea people said that keeping your test liquids in a warm area may ruin them!! Also, those bottles are not hard to open and re-stir...hell, Ill pry use them for dosing once im done with 'em (Yah i know Ill have to rinse the crap out of them.. I plan to use only the least toxic chemical bottles)

Old 05-27-2004, 08:27 PM   #7
fedge
Planted Tank Obsessed

Default Test Your test kits! UPDATED

I just found this on an older posting.. but I think it is very helpful to those who REALLY want to know if what they got is too old to be trusted..

http://www.akca.org/kht/testkit2.pdf
Old 05-30-2004, 02:50 AM   #8
fedge
Planted Tank Obsessed

"A final thought"

It was my test kit that was bad.. bad from the store?...bad from storage at my house by the heater vent?... who knows.. i think a combination of both. Now I got a new test kit. Same brand Red Sea, I DID have to take the dropper cap off and manually stir the reagent in the A bottle and use something to crush all the precipitate up to fine powder so that it worked well. I also don't completely trust the test kit. However I DO trust the plants and the algae growth. After I apperntly got my ferts back in balance the algae growth appears to have haulted... at least not gaining ground.. it appears to anyway. ALso, the plants are pearling even more now..

SO TRUST WHAT YOU SEE IN YOUR TANK FIRST.. not what a colored liquid tells you.. if in doubt retest.. or get a new test kit

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.