Equipment for Nanos
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 12-18-2008, 08:04 PM   #1
helgymatt
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (50/98%)

Equipment for Nanos

What the best substrate for nanos. I'm considering all of the ADA lineup and don't know what one to use. The tank will be a ADA 30-C, which is a 12" cube. Would I need 9L or would 3L be enough.

Also, are the ETH inline heats good for nanos?

I plan to use a Eheim 2213 or my XP2 (cranked down of course)

I also plan to use either a regular diffusor or inline diffusor if I find some extra money

The light is what I'm not sure about. I don't like the current ones, they are big and ugly. I want something gray which I can hang. Any help here? I think there were some on ebay people were buying.
Plan to use these rocks and do an iwagumi look.... http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ge...ing-rocks.html

Thanks for any suggestions!

Old 12-18-2008, 08:21 PM   #2
prototyp3
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)

Regarding lights, I think you could consider a Coralife mini 2x9w from Big Als for $25. That'd leave enough cash to rig up whatever method you want to use to hang the fixture, as well as some paint for the fixture casing. And if you're a light freak, they have the 12" Coralife 2x18w fixture.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:52 PM   #3
helgymatt
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototyp3 View Post
Regarding lights, I think you could consider a Coralife mini 2x9w from Big Als for $25. That'd leave enough cash to rig up whatever method you want to use to hang the fixture, as well as some paint for the fixture casing. And if you're a light freak, they have the 12" Coralife 2x18w fixture.
Thanks....So 18 watt or 36 watt? Would 18 watt grow most thing in a 30-C?
Old 12-18-2008, 09:28 PM   #4
NeonShrimp
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (140/100%)

ld be fine but if you are a "light freak" as prototyp3 mentioned you might want to go with the 36 W where you can remove a bulb if you want to go lower light.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:34 PM   #5
jeepn4x4
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (17/100%)

I agree with neonshrimp. If you have the extra cash buy the 36 watt unit and remove a bulb if needed. Unless you know for sure that you will never need the extra wattage.
jeepn4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2008, 10:13 PM   #6
brohawk
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (32/100%)

The 18W mini will grow HC just fine. It's a bit low light, but grows things at just the right pace for me in my 2.5 gal, w/o me having to worry too much about getting my CO2 levels just right.

Also, a 3 liter bag of aquasoil will be more than enough for the cube.
brohawk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2008, 10:20 PM   #7
bsmith
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)

I would just get the 9l so you can have extra for whatever project you want to do down the road.

As on my Mini-M I usr the 2213 as the diffusor/reactor. I am running a little less then 1bps and am getting great results.

As far as the light I am using a 23w spiral pc over my M and again it works great. I would get the 32w coralife and remove a bulb if you find it necessary, ot DIY yourself some sort of timed switch to have a noon burst!
bsmith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2008, 10:31 PM   #8
helgymatt
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith782 View Post
I would just get the 9l so you can have extra for whatever project you want to do down the road.

As on my Mini-M I usr the 2213 as the diffusor/reactor. I am running a little less then 1bps and am getting great results.

As far as the light I am using a 23w spiral pc over my M and again it works great. I would get the 32w coralife and remove a bulb if you find it necessary, ot DIY yourself some sort of timed switch to have a noon burst!
Thanks again!
Just get the regular aquasoil?
Also, you just inject CO2 right into the filter inlet? I guess I didn't think of that. It should work fine, right? Just won't have any mist from a diffusor...

Are there any good off brand 12" fixures?
Old 12-18-2008, 10:52 PM   #9
Craigthor
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (188/100%)

Matt,

I got 9L of Amazonia and it was more than enough only used about 3L or so and also bought 3L of the Amazonia Powder for a cap and used not quite 1/3-1/2 the bag for my mini m. I run an eheim 2213 with the 200 watt hydor ETH inline heater off of it. I also run an inline diffuser which seems to work great. PM if you have any question about my equipment or check out my thread here in the nano section has everything there.

Craig
Craigthor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2008, 12:59 AM   #10
helgymatt
Wannabe Guru

Anyone used a fluval 303? I can maybe get one used for $45? Is it worth it or just get a new eheim?
Old 12-19-2008, 01:13 AM   #11
Craigthor
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (188/100%)

check out ebay I saw an eheim 2213 for around $75 shipped. I think it was 65 something and $10 shipping
Craigthor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2008, 10:43 AM   #12
dmcentire
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Default Quick note on lighting

Keep in mind, the Coralife 36W 12" light does NOT come in a fresh water version. The only option they sell is a 10K + 50/50 actinic setup.

However, there is good news!

I have two of these lights myself, and all you need to do is locate 6500K straight pin bulbs to pop in there. I have done just that.

http://www.lightbulbemporium.com/eik...dt18_65_rs.asp

Those are about $8 each and I have purchased several lamps from these people, including this bulb for my Coralife 12" units.

On another quick note, I am experimenting with a super cool LED option. I found a 10W LED that's imported from Hong Kong that is SUPER bright. Don't let the 10W rating fool you. It's 650 lumens bright and runs at 7000K for plants. Some early LCD projectors were 500-700 lumens, just to give you an idea how bright this thing is. It must be mounted to a CPU heatsink and fan for cooling, but it works great and is extremely bright. It's brighter than the 18W CF lamp I have, and much much smaller. I'll post photos and information once I've set it up.

Dennis
dmcentire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.