Finnex 8 - Popcorn Eater
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 12-18-2008, 04:40 AM   #1
prototyp3
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)

Finnex 8 - Popcorn Eater

Here is my first nano tank.

Finnex 8g
18w desk lamp (I think, could be 27w, I'd have to look)
Hagen Elite Mini internal filter 58gph

I set this up with my friend on his kitchen counter. The popcorn making kitchen, so this open top tank is going to get a steady dose of buttery popcorn. It's on the breakfast bar so it had to be viewable on 3 sides. The internal filter helps with that.

Inside is a substrate of pool filter sand, two small seiryu stones, two small manzanita branches, anubias petite and marsilea minuta make up the plants. I'm considering some willow hygro in the corner by the filter to help hide it. There's not much substrate in that corner so I might go with a little needle leaf java fern. Some floaters might also be added.

No inhabitants yet. If we keep it unheated we might stock it with some shrimp. But I think the plan is to get a mini heater and go with either a puffer (dwarf or red eye) or a small group of dwarf rainbow fish.

Crumby cell phone pics for now..

Attached Images

Old 12-18-2008, 01:46 PM   #2
Down_Shift
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Down_Shift

Looks great. Don't think I've seen a 8g finnex in person yet though. Tough to find those tanks around here.

Have you thought of putting the thermometer(?) on the side that is not visible? Might hide it a bit more for now?
Down_Shift is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 04:13 PM   #3
prototyp3
Wannabe Guru

Thanks.
Apparently the tanks got phased out, but one of the big LFS here has quite a stock hold of them remaining. Picked this tank up for only $25. Good deal for a naked tank in my opinion. They wanted $99 for the tank/light/filter combo which I thought was a bit much.

We're not leaving the thermometer in the tank. We were just going to monitor it for a bit to see if there were any wild temp swings. It's near a hot air return, so we're just making sure it's somewhat stable.
Old 12-18-2008, 05:37 PM   #4
chadly
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to chadly

that looks great! love the contour of the substrate. You've done a great job scaping it. Great choice of plants. Another thing I like is how it's open to veiwing on 3 sides. Nice little filter too.
Old 12-18-2008, 06:13 PM   #5
prototyp3
Wannabe Guru

Thanks. I can't recommend this filter enough. And at $7.50 from Petco it's a steal. It's got nano friendly dimensions and provides enough flow where you get plants swaying gently through out the tank. As a bonus, it makes an awesome CO2 diffuser on larger tanks. It had my 40g pearling like crazy. Much better than these little glass diffusers I'm using now on tanks less than half the size.
Old 12-19-2008, 01:25 AM   #6
crudnugget
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)

Tank looks really good, but it would be nice if you could post a couple pictures with a real camera.

It's funny...I've never actually seen anyone use that Hagen filter as a filter - only as a diffuser for CO2 like you mention. I've even got one sitting in my room waiting for my new regulator to get here.
crudnugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 06:28 PM   #7
fish_fasinated
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Tank looks good, I like this alot.

Those Hagen Elites are great from what I hear. I have even heard of them beign used as mini power heads in budget nano saltwater tanks.
fish_fasinated is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 07:52 PM   #8
thief
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)

ahh the Hagen Elite Mini is in my opinion one of the best filters for nano's. I've had mine on my 2.5g iwagami. The thing is just so convenient. Also you can adjust the power to a low current and high current. I can go on and on about how great it is. Even for shrimp babies it's been working for me.

Also the scape looks really nice. I would like to set up a little tank in some of the public rooms in my house. Still trying to push it onto my parents. Anyways do you think you can get close up shots. I can't really tell what plants you got going in there. Anyways please keep us updated.
thief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 08:48 PM   #9
SdJaCK&SaLLy
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via Yahoo to SdJaCK&SaLLy

Hmm...it looks nice.
SdJaCK&SaLLy is offline   Reply With Quote