Overnight Fish Kill, would like opinions. - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 12-19-2008, 12:14 PM   #16
Bowles42
Planted Member

PTrader: (36/100%)

I've used non organic zucchini before, but don't remember having any problems. It's definitely on my bad list now though.

As for which species of darter it was I'm really unsure. They were not particulary colorful though, so maybe Johnny Darters?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2008, 12:25 AM   #17
Lnb
At 36,000'

PTrader: (19/100%)

I had that happen once. Lost a whole tank of fish. Never nailed down the reason for the "death tank syndrome". I also fed zucchini the night before everything died.

I tested the water and all my parameters were normal. Water was clear, not milky. All of the dead fish had a thick whitish slime coat on it. Were they producing slime excessively because of an unknown irritant??

I still feed zucchini but I peel off the skin, now. I've seen zucchinis with heavy wax coatings. We just don't know where that zucchini came from or has been around.

Things happen!

Eheim #293 ~ 2 x 2217 ~ 1 X 2215 *** Filstar #138 ~ XP 1 x 2
Lnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 12:28 AM   #18
adamprice271
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via AIM to adamprice271

Sorry for your losses, glad you pretty much have it figured out. I was thinking(before I read the rest of the posts) are you sure the granite chunk didn't do anything at all? Everything sounds right, rotting food, bacteria, cloudy water etc etc...but could the granite have leached anything into the water to cause a sudden ph spike or anything, killing the fish, causing the water to look how it did when you saw it in the AM? Prolly not, but just throwing out options.

Adam
125g semi planted. 2 silver angels, 14 silver tips, 16 white fin ornatus tetras, pair of Nicaraguense, pair of nototus severums, trio of firemouth cichlids. 2 FX5s, 1 1500gph circ pump, 2 48" LED lighs, and a HUGE piece of driftwood.

650g fish room. 15 30g tanks, 150g sump.
adamprice271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 01:00 AM   #19
OliverN
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)

Because of the way it forms, granite on its own is pretty much guaranteed to be chemically inert. Of course, it should be thoroughly cleaned before being used in the tank.
OliverN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 01:47 AM   #20
adamprice271
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via AIM to adamprice271

Yeah, that's what I thought, but idk, I saw some article that said certain types of granite can give off a small amount of radiation, but who knows.

Adam
125g semi planted. 2 silver angels, 14 silver tips, 16 white fin ornatus tetras, pair of Nicaraguense, pair of nototus severums, trio of firemouth cichlids. 2 FX5s, 1 1500gph circ pump, 2 48" LED lighs, and a HUGE piece of driftwood.

650g fish room. 15 30g tanks, 150g sump.
adamprice271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 02:14 AM   #21
fishbguy1
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/98%)
Send a message via MSN to fishbguy1

Zuchinni in it's self shouldn't pose a problem unless it's left in the tank, or you put an ungodly amount in a tank.

Every week at the lfs I work at we feed zuchini to the african cichlids, plecos, barbs, and other plant eating fish.

We just take a zuchini and cut it into slices the long way, and put it in the tank raw. The next moring we take it out. It's not in the tank for more than 24 hours.

Never have we ever had a problem with it.

The only thing that could happen, and has happened with my 40 gallon at my house, is taht my africans had never eaten zuchini before, so they were'nt touching it. I left it in the tank, and after 24 hours, it started to turn all mushy and fall apart. This makes the tnak cloudy, but shouldn't kill fish.

Rotting zuchini shouldn't preoduce enough ammonia to kill anything.
Old 12-20-2008, 02:16 AM   #22
fishbguy1
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/98%)
Send a message via MSN to fishbguy1

forgot to mention that the darters might have died because of a lack of oxygen. Darters naturally come from fast moving streams, which means that they like cooler water with high oxygen content. Kinda like hillstream loaches, just from the Americas.
Old 12-20-2008, 04:43 AM   #23
Trio123
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I have to agree, I have done work with darters in VA. I have thought about seting up a native fish tank with darters, but the problem is that darters need moving water (they are not found in ponds or lakes only rivers and streams) with high oxygen content and cool water (even in the summer the water is much cooler than the 78 degrees most tropicals, like ottos like). I would say it was probably an accumulation of the lack of oxygen, warm temp, and rotting zuchinni... Im sorry for your loss. I would look at setting up a river tank if are interested in keeping darters. They can be really cool, you may even be able to put freshwater mussels in there (check with your game and inland fisheries deparment to make sure it is legal to collect these things first!!)
Trio123 is offline   Reply With Quote