Overnight Fish Kill, would like opinions.
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 12-17-2008, 02:13 PM   #1
Bowles42
Planted Member

PTrader: (36/100%)

Overnight Fish Kill, would like opinions.

Just when I think I am starting to get a handle on this hobby something always seems to happen to convince me I'm still an amature.

Here is the scenario in full detail. Early spring I caught four local Darters here in KY. Kept them in a 75g native fish tank along with other native fish until recently when I decided I wanted to redo my 75g into a high tech planted tank at my office. I decided I would keep the four darters for the tank since I enjoyed watching their behaivor so much.

For the interim I kept them in my 10g quarintine with a pitbull pleco. They were in the 10g for a month, no problems. Last Saturday I picked up three otocinclus from Incredipet, planning to put them in my 75g once it had cycled. I also ordered 12 more otocinclus to be picked up on the next Tuesday (yesterday). I took the three otocinclus home and placed them in the 10g along with the four darters and single pitbull pleco. I lost one oto the next day, no surprises here as he looked the worst of the three.

Fast foward to last night. My wife picked up the 12 otos from incredipet, and brought them home. I drip acclimated them, and then put them into the 10g with the other fish, with plans to move everything to the 75g sometime this week. I also attached two pieces of peeled and blanched zucchini to a piece of granite for the otos to munch on. Went to bed last night, otos happily munching on zucchini.

Woke up this morning the water looked like skim milk. All four darters dead, everything else behaving normal. I did a 75% water change and went to work. So where did I screw this up? At first I thought maybe the otos brought something in that the darters couldn't handle, or maybe the added fish caused a mini cycle, or maybe it was the zucchini? Any advice or opinions on this would be much appreciated.

Here is the offending tank this morning after water changes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2008, 02:19 PM   #2
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

It happens to all of us! Sounds like a bacterial bloom. Could be the zucchini. Could've been something in the water from the pet shop.
Any reason you felt the need to feed the Oto's on their first day?
Old 12-17-2008, 02:25 PM   #3
Bowles42
Planted Member

My experience with otos and zucchini, was that it took them awhile to find it, so I figured I would go ahead and put the zucchini in there. At least a few of them found it before the night was over though.
Old 12-17-2008, 03:19 PM   #4
Tex Gal
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (78/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Tex Gal

I wonder if there was something in the Zuchini that is poisonous to the darters? It's certainly not part of their natural environment. You'll probably never know for sure. So sorry for you.

95g Rimless

Tex Gal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2008, 03:56 PM   #5
Bowles42
Planted Member

@Tex Gal

I wondered this too. It seems like too cruel of an experiment to know for sure though. Thanks for the sympathy.
Old 12-17-2008, 04:04 PM   #6
FrostyNYC
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Send a message via AIM to FrostyNYC

It's the zucchini. Definitely a bacterial bloom. The same thing has happened to me TWICE, in tanks that were uncycled and had little or no water flow (a sponge filter in one and no filter in the other). I would only ever add zucchini in a mature tank or a tank with a large volume of water, due to my previous experiences.

I've found that lettuce does not cause the bloom, but zucchini and squash both do. (I havent tried anything else)
Old 12-17-2008, 05:24 PM   #7
Craigthor
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (188/100%)

also to consider is you went from 3 fish to 15 fish overnight, probably stressed the bioload of the tank beyond what it could keep up with.

Craig
Craigthor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2008, 06:08 PM   #8
monkeyruler90
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (64/100%)
Send a message via AIM to monkeyruler90

@craigthor, although that is a good point, do otos really make that much waste? i thought they were like shrimp? their bioload wasnt as high as bigger fish.
Fluval pimp #4 aka PIMP master!
I SAID ITS GREAT
TO BE

A FLORIDA GATOR!!

40 gallon LED fixture
monkeyruler90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2008, 06:09 PM   #9
Craigthor
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (188/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyruler90 View Post
@craigthor, although that is a good point, do otos really make that much waste? i thought they were like shrimp? their bioload wasnt as high as bigger fish.
Not sure but even a small bioload x15 can do damage to a bio filter, may not be the whole problem but may have contributed.

just my 2 cents....
Craigthor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2008, 06:11 PM   #10
Bowles42
Planted Member

@Craig Its was from 7 to 19, but same idea. I guess I underestimated this as a factor. I realized that this would cause problems, but I thought I could combat it with frequent water changes. I never thought it could happen overnight. Lesson learned, this is what happens when we grow too confident or complacent. Thanks for the input.
Old 12-19-2008, 02:07 AM   #11
mojave
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

you got 19 fish in a 10G tank. Not a good ratio, I believe quarantine tanks should have more conservative stocking levels.
mojave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2008, 02:12 AM   #12
Bowles42
Planted Member

@mojave I think you have a good point, and lesson learned. How many fish would you suggest for a 10g quarantine tank? I planned to do frequent water changes, but even still I may have over stepped my bounds on this one.
Old 12-19-2008, 03:02 AM   #13
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

PTrader: (13/100%)

What kind of darters were they? I found some common darter up here in cincy but I can't keep them. Although, I do have a little pond...hmm... maybe in the spring... anyways.

Yeah, your 10G couldn't handle the sudden bioload + the zucchini. It isn't just waste produced as in poop.. they produce waste from breathing as well. Your tank has no substrate so it has little nitrifying bacteria. And never try to feed fish when you first get them.. They'll never feed and the food just rots and produces ammonia.

Well, it's good to know darters are really sensitive to ammonia or possibly sensitive to low O2 as well.
mistergreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2008, 09:44 AM   #14
mojave
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

For quarantine tanks. The rough 1inch/gallon or less should be a gauge.
mojave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2008, 11:35 AM   #15
waterfaller1
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via AIM to waterfaller1

Hmm..I am glad you posted this. I have been buying organic zucchini but last week I couldn't find it and bought regular. Within the last week or so I have lost 9 fish in that tank.
waterfaller1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.