Fish Sick Please help Identify!!!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 12-16-2008, 07:58 AM   #1
loopup2u
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Fish Sick Please help Identify!!!

Well First a little History.

This is a newly setup tank. It took around 7 weeks to completely cycle. It is a 42 Gallon Tank. I cycled it with 8 Long Fin Danios, they did great and have been happy the whole time. On Sunday The water peramitters were the following so I decided to increase the fish load.

PH- 6.4
Ammonia- 0
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate- 10 ppm

So I went to the lfs, to pick up 3 oto cats, and maybe a couple of shrimp.
I had a decent amount of store credit and after looking around and a little pushing from a worker I left with 17 fish, and 5 shrimp. Below are the critters I picked up.

10 Cardinal Tetras
5 Oto Cats
2 Siamese Algae Eaters
5 Amano Shrimp
1 Singapore Flower Shrimp

I realize that this is kinda a lot of fish to add at a time to a freshly cycled tank, but I guess the excitement overcame me. This is my first tank in 10-15 years.

After 24 hours of the new guests inhibitting the tank the water peramitters have remain the same with the exception of the Nitrate levels rose from 10 ppm to 20 ppm.

Now to what this post is about, I was inspecting the fish tonight to watch their behaviors and look for any signs of stress. They looked excellent and really have settled in rather quickly.

However one of the cardinals had a very rather distrubing pimple up right underneth his dorsal fin. At first I thought it was Ich, but sence have kinda thought is was rather large to be ich. There is only the one pimple, when you look at it from head on, you can really appriciate how large it is, it definately protrudes outward from the skin. I havfe seperated this fish from the tank, and plan to take it back in. I am attaching 3 pictures. I know the first two are of very poor quality. Trust me those are the best of about 50 pics taken with 2 different cameras. The third is a pic from the net that I edited to give a clearer idea of the problem.

I am most worried about it spreading. And want to start treatment as quick as possible if that is indeed the right thing to do.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	11068  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	11069  

Attached Images

loopup2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2008, 02:01 PM   #2
invert1
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)

First off, as you've already said that's a LOT of livestock to add at once; there's a real possibility of crashing your biofilter...if you can, you should get some biomedia from an established tank and/or dump a bunch of Seachem Stability (which is basically shelf-stable bacteria), which should potentially help. This is really your bigger problem since if your filter crashes your tank crashes.

Now, with your tetra, isolate and treat. If someone on this board can't tell you what it is, and I can't because the pics aren't ideal (it would be difficult to get ideal pics for this w/o a macro lens) I would suggest taking him to your LFS and asking them, if its close by.

A somewhat homeopathic-type treatment that people swear by is MelaFix (and Pimafix); supposedly these cure a lot of issues for people though I haven't personally tried it. This would be a broad spectrum solution, diagnosing it as parasitic / just a bump-into-glass injury / bacterial would give us more info and let us better treat it.

Let us know what you end up doing and good luck!
invert1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 03:42 PM   #3
milalic
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (117/100%)

It can be a small tumor or some kind of lesion.
You are better separating it and treating it with what was suggested above or you might try nitrofurazine green.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:04 PM   #4
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)

I've personally always had good results using Mela/Pimafix combo with Cardinals.

You do generally need to treat much longer than is recommended, though, IME, to prevent the issues from coming back.

Cardinals do well with heat- I'd also raise the QT tank temperature to 82-84F if you can maintain it at a steady temp.
Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, Sept 8, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!
TBAS Annual Fish Auction - November 1st!!

lauraleellbp is offline   Reply With Quote