need some suggestions on fish for a 30 gal
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 12-15-2008, 12:29 AM   #1
Leslie3
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

need some suggestions on fish for a 30 gal

I finally got the main stuff i needed for my 30 gal to be set up. and i was wanting to know what could live in it. i Want to get more than 3 types of fish in it. anyone with any suggestion are welcomed. also i would prefer a easy/hardy fish. thanks.
Leslie3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2008, 12:34 AM   #2
Christine T
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

I've been wanting to get about 12 Chili Rasbora (Boraras brigittae) http://www.franksaquarium.com/nanofish.htm

you could get a decent school of them and still put a few other types of fish in there.
EHEIM Pimp #334 - Classic 2217
Filstar Pimp #147 - XP2

What if your words could be judged like a crime?
Christine T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 09:03 PM   #3
Leslie3
Algae Grower

thoes are some pretty fish. i dont think anyone has them loaclly. so i dont know where to get them
Old 12-15-2008, 10:48 PM   #4
nikonD70s
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)

rummynose, best schoolers in my opinion and they look great!
nikonD70s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 11:15 PM   #5
oldpunk78
ಠ_ಠ

PTrader: (106/100%)

x2 on the rummynose. i love mine! i think they look much cooler in person though, pictures don't do them justice.
oldpunk78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 01:03 AM   #6
Leslie3
Algae Grower

its for my kids. so i want more than 2 types of fishys
Old 12-16-2008, 01:08 AM   #7
love_fish
Algae Grower

A school of neons for sure, and another tetra like rummynose maybe. never had rummynose but they look good when fully colored up. A nice group of cories too, theyre always a great addition to a community tank.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:30 AM   #8
milalic
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (117/100%)

Ember tetras
Old 12-16-2008, 01:56 AM   #9
Hungry Wendigo
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

I have six odessa barbs in my 29 gallon, and they're a fantastic addition. You could easily fit another two species of fish in with half a dozen of them, such as a school of tetras and a pair of gouramis. If you're considering adding bottom feeders you could safely keep additional varieties, such as plecos, corys, or shrimp.

Be sure to research which region of the tank any fish you bring home is most likely to inhabit. Your fish will be much happier if they aren't all fighting for room at the top, and it will give your aquarium a much more balanced and well distributed appearance.
Hungry Wendigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 11:21 PM   #10
Leslie3
Algae Grower

i like neon tetras, and thoes are a deff. but i also like tiger barbs, but i have been told that they wont get along with other fish. I do want some catfish. shrimp scare me to much to get them. i might kill them. I saw a very pretty ram but i know absolutly nothing about them. I am going to go to the libary to get some books to look up fish.

how many would be a school?? I dont want to get tomany for my tank. id reather under stock than have to many.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:43 PM   #11
Hungry Wendigo
Algae Grower

It depends on the fish. Medium sized fish (like most barbs) usually prefer schools of at least six, and in a 30gal you'd probably be pushing it to add more than 10. You could probably fit more than a dozen smaller schooling fish (like tetras) in a tank that size comfortably.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:44 PM   #12
nikonD70s
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)

a school i would say 6+. if you like the neon tetra's i say you get a school of cardinal tetra's almost same as the neons but prettier. and if you like catfish(assuming cory's) you can get like 4-5 of them or more depending what kind you get.
nikonD70s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 11:51 PM   #13
Leslie3
Algae Grower

i foud some of these fish at a local store can anyone tell me about them.leporinus fasciatus, whiptail catfish, otocincluus catfish, wite coud mountain (sp, may not even be right), werneri banjo catfush, flame von rio tetra queen dario botia gold hiney gourami
Old 12-17-2008, 12:48 AM   #14
Hungry Wendigo
Algae Grower

Otos are excellent small algae eaters, they favor well planted tanks and prefer to be in groups of five or more.

From my experience with dwarf gouramis, they're extremely entertaining and add a lot of personality to a tank. They can be territorial and adding more than one male to a tank of that size is probably not a great idea, depending on their temperament.

And the fish you're trying to spell is the white cloud mountain minnow, or WCMM. I'm also looking into acquiring a school of these, but I don't know a whole lot about them.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:48 AM   #15
lauraleellbp
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)

www.fishbase.com is one of the best places to research basic fish info.

leporinus fasciatus is a beautiful fish, but a fast grower, and will grow 10-12" long. They're also aggressive, especially to smaller fish. IDK if they'll eat plants or not, but I think it's a distinct possibility. At any rate, it's not a species I'd recommend for a community tank.

There's many species of whiptail and banjo cats, and the adult size can vary pretty greatly depending on the species. In general they're peaceful, fairly quiet fish. Banjo cats I've kept several times, and they spend most of the day hiding so you won't see them often.

Otos are great planted tank residents. Only worry is to be sure that nothing else in the tank is big enough that it might decide to eat one. They've got sharp spines in their pectoral fins that they can lock in place as defensive weapons, so would-be-predators often end up seriously wounded if not dead along with the little catfish.

Von rio tetras get fairly large for tetras and need to be kept in decent-sized schools, so need a large tank (55+ gal) I haven't kept them but I've heard some reports that they can be nippy with long-finned fish.

Botia dario (Queen loach) is a loach that gets about 6" and needs to be kept with others of its own kind, so also needs a 55+gal tank.

Honey gourami is a good planted tank fish and usually a good community fish. They only get 2-3" so can be kept in tanks as small as a 10gal (though personally I'd recommend a 15gal). You do need to be careful when trying to keep males together in the same tank as they may become aggressive towards each other and need to be separated. Most of the fish you find in the pet stores will be males, as females are much less colorful.
Tampa Bay Aquarium Society - Next meeting Monday, Sept 8, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!
TBAS Annual Fish Auction - November 1st!!

lauraleellbp is offline   Reply With Quote