Building a paludarium: a couple of questions
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Riparium/Terrarium/Vivarium

Old 05-24-2004, 11:07 PM   #1
Raimeiken
Planted Member

PTrader: (18/100%)

Building a paludarium: a couple of questions

I'm currently setting up a paludarium, I only have a few rocks in it right now, i stacked them up right below my aquaclear filter so it looks like a waterfall

I want to get more rocks, bigger ones, but i don't want to buy them from petstores because they're usually expensive like $3 something per pound. What kind of rocks should i use?

Another question concerning the plants that i'm going to plant above the water. How am i suppose to plant them? should their roots be below the water line? When i stack up rocks to build the land part of the paludarium, should i put some of my substrate [flourite] on the rocks so i can plant the plants, or should i use a different substrate?

And can anyone suggest some great plants that i can plant in my tank [50gal] i currently have anubias nana, java ferns, Moneywort, cardinal plant and baby tears in the water, but i don't know any plants that i can plant above the water. I might even put glosso on the foreground but i'm not really sure how it's gonna work since it needs Co2 maybe i'll just stick with my aquatic clovers
Raimeiken is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2004, 10:02 AM   #2
audiotaylor
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to audiotaylor

The only other place I can suggest to get rocks other than pet stores is the ground. Go on a hike and collect some from your local park (probably shouldnt let anyone see ya ;-) ), woods, lake or river. Youll also have to make sure that the rocks you collect will not seriously alter the waters paramaters.

If you use aquatic plants, most can be grown emersed (above water) provided their roots are submersed (under water). Terresrtrial plants, unless they are bog species, require much drier substrate and will die fast if grown in water. To create a dry area in the tank, you could silicone a glass divider in the tank to split into half land/half water. This would allow for a much brauder selection of plants. If you use aquatic plants, rocks will not be substantial substrate. Fluorite or any small aquarium gravel would work great.

Like I said, most plants sold for aquarium use will grow above water as long as their roots remain wet. I wouldnt uuse glosso if you dont have Co2 but aquatic clover would look nice. Java moss looks awesome if you attach it to the rocks of a waterfall too. It will create a nice green carpet in a few months. Good luck with that tank and let me know of any other questions.
-David
Old 05-26-2004, 03:01 PM   #3
eds
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

My opinion as a gardener, planted tank keeper, ignorant of paludaria:

You could check out gardening/building supply centers.
They generally have stone far cheaper than LFS.

But, as AT says, be sure you know what you are adding to your tank.

Realize that if you are mounding stone, only the outermost/topmost layer will be visible, and much of that will be obscured by plants. So the majority of your fill, and even a surprising part of the outer layer, can be comprised of relatively unattractive material. Even something like brick. Don't spend too much money on neat looking material that will be invisible in your completed environment.

You can even use inert inorganic material, plastics, pvc, or foams, to make up the "bones" of your topography.

30gal - 55W AH, ecco 2232, flourite/gravel, DIY CO2 w/ Hagen ladder

3gal - endlers/cherry shrimp
4W cf, Red Sea deco nano, flourite
eds is offline   Reply With Quote