20 gallon filtration
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 12-11-2008, 03:58 PM   #1
tominator
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

20 gallon filtration

Me again with a question about my 20 gallon in progress, man an I annoying . Ok, so on my 10 gallon I have a Aquaclear 30, but I usually like to oversize my filtration, and I've read that planted tanks require quite a but more flow. So what filtration should I use. I found a fairly cheep AC70 on sale, I guess I could also get another AC30 or 50 maybe and put them both on the 20 gallon, I like the idea of redundacy, or would something else be better, don't really have the cash right now for a facny canister. What do you think is the best route to go? Can I get too much filtration and movement? Oh, and I also have a AC 30 powerhead that I can run too.
tominator is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2008, 04:08 PM   #2
Veloth
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)

I had a AC70 on a 20 and I had to be careful as to where I planted what, flow would blow my plants too much. I have a light fish load so I finally used 2 Maxijet 400 with sponge filters.
Veloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 05:33 PM   #3
Left C
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)

I have AC 70's on 15g aquariums. They do a great job.

I have modified them to have a reduced flow though. Inside the filter body is a gray piece of plastic that is over the motor and the intake "U" tube rests on to adjust the rate of flow.

You will notice that there is a little nub or stop on the gray piece of plastic that keeps the "U" tube from swinging all the way to the right. You can grind this nub off and have a wider flow range. It will be able to provide a lower flow when needed and you still have the range of flow rates. On page 6 of 13, you can see the gray piece of plastic called F Impeller Cover. http://www.hagen.com/pdf/aquatic/Aquaclear_English.pdf

My media consists of a sponge on bottom. Then a 100 mL bag of Purigen or Seachem's The Bag with Purigen in it. Then another sponge with the bio media on top to weigh things down.

"Reduced flow is most helpful during feeding times, or when the input suction or output stream is too strong for small or delicate fish. When desired, the patented flow control can be set to less than full flow. This decreases the amount of water drawn from the aquarium or returned to it, however, full filtration is maintained. Even with the flow control set less than the full flow, however, the motor still pumps the rated output to the filter chamber. No blockage is created that would reduce the water supply to the impeller. Instead, the water is recirculated through the filter basket's refiltration grid into the impeller chamber, providing ample input to the motor. Before the water reaches the refiltration grid, it is purified as it must pass through all the filter media in the filter basket."
From: http://www.hagen.com/usa/aquatic/man...quaclear03.cfm
EHEIM PIMP #164 Classic 2011, Classic 2213, Classic 2217, ECCO 2236, Pro II 2028, Liberty 2040, Liberty 2042
VICTOR PIMP #1 VTS253A-1993, VTS250B-580, VTS253D-320, HPT500-40-350-4M, SGT500-40-4F-DK
Left C is offline   Reply With Quote