Apisto folks - how many in 55G? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 12-18-2008, 01:49 AM   #16
Lnb
At 36,000'

PTrader: (19/100%)

Can't get the Barlowi. They're all sold out. Shucks.

I picked the Barlowi because they're mouth brooders so the spawns should be smaller. I'd rather have a smaller number of fry to deal with. I've had so many BN fry at times I didn't know or have anywhere to put them! Chris said they're larger than the average dwarf cichlid but that's not a problem since they'll be the highlight of the tank.

Presumptious aren't I! I don't have them in the tank yet and I'm already planning on apisto fry.

I've been trolling the web and I think my next choice is the Borelli Opals. They'll basically share the 55g with some whiteclouds and a BN pleco. Wonder if I can squeezze in 2 trios or should I just go with one male and possibly 3 females. I don't know if they're pair or harem breeders.

Rod since you have experience with them. What do you think??

I'm a new member of aspistogramma.com and will probably buy my fish from Chris Moscarell. He's the one that had the Barlowi's for sale.

I'll try to post a picture of the tank this weekend. It, of course is a tank in transition.

Thanks Rod and Wuddy for your posts.

Eheim #293 ~ 2 x 2217 ~ 1 X 2215 *** Filstar #138 ~ XP 1 x 2
Lnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2008, 04:38 AM   #17
WuddyWoodpeckah
Algae Grower

PTrader: (11/100%)

Chris is a good guy and his fish are awesome. You can see my trifasciata pics on apistogramma.com.

In your 55g, with the right rock/aqua scaping you can trying putting in a colony of borelli's (8-10 might work, if all of them are added at the same time, and there is no line of sight). I had 10 adult A.borelli in my 60 gallon, although that might be overkill for a first timer. Again, it will be nice if you can scape the bottom so that there are 3-4 'regions', then you can see some very interesting interactions.

good luck!
WuddyWoodpeckah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 05:34 AM   #18
SearunSimpson
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

I want to get some of the Barlowi if they are mouth-brooders. We have some Haps that are holding at Vancouver Aquarium where I work, and I always just stare into their mouths.

"You think you have tomorrow, but when tomorrow comes it's not tomorrow; it's now- and that's all you have" - Marc Johnson
Ehei-Pimpfen 276 yo!
SearunSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 04:04 AM   #19
Lnb
At 36,000'

PTrader: (19/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearunSimpson View Post
I want to get some of the Barlowi if they are mouth-brooders. We have some Haps that are holding at Vancouver Aquarium where I work, and I always just stare into their mouths.
Yep, they're mouth-brooders. I'm still want some!

I think there's a short video on "You Tube" showing Barlowi with a mouthful of fry. I'll look around this weekend and see if I can find the link.

Eheim #293 ~ 2 x 2217 ~ 1 X 2215 *** Filstar #138 ~ XP 1 x 2
Lnb is offline   Reply With Quote