substrate? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 05-26-2004, 02:38 AM   #16
bullosa
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to bullosa Send a message via Skype™ to bullosa

Edo,

Eco-Complete is a product by Carib-Sea. You should find them on the web. All the best on your planted tank.
bullosa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2004, 04:57 AM   #17
edo
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to edo

Thanx for the help everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eds
Whoever it was that said "There's no such thing as a stupid question" apparently never read edo's posts!
im only an algae grower!
edo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-26-2004, 09:59 AM   #18
Rosko_22
Planted Member

OMG, that's gold.
LMAO!!!
Rosko_22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2004, 07:17 AM   #19
Robert H
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)

Plants need minerals to grow, just like human beings do. We get our minerals from our food. Plants get it from the substrate and the water. Most substrate materials are made of clay or some type of soil. Clay provides iron and perhaps other minerals and is also able to absorb other minerals and nutrients from the water.

Besides minerals, plants also need what is called Macro nutrients. These are nutrients that plants use in much larger amounts than trace minerals. Macros include nitrogen, phosphate, potassium, calcium, and magnesium. Carbon dioxide can also be considered a macro nutrient. Nitrogen, in the form of ammonium and nitrate, is provided to the plants by the fish and animals in your aquarium. Potassium, calcium, and magnesium may be in your water. Phosphate may also be in your water and in fish poop depending on what you feed your fish.

All of these things may be provided either by the substrate or the water. There is a lot more to this but I do not feel like writing a book right now, and I have a feeling I lost you after the first paragraph any way!
RAOK Club #1
Kindness like love is unconditional
Robert H is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2004, 10:11 PM   #20
BigBlue00
Algae Grower

The one thing I found about this hobby (and especially with planted tanks) is that you can't afford to be lazy.

Best thing to do is do alot of research and reading before you start buying stuff and filling up your tank. Like others have said, proper planning will save you lots of time and frustration in the long run. It will also help you enjoy your tank more when it looks/does what you had envisioned for it when you started.

Good luck, and do your research!
BigBlue00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2004, 12:35 AM   #21
edo
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to edo

i understand that. thats why im asking questions. i bought my tank recently and built a little light canopy. ill post pics onces its up. it'll be bare at first tho. i have just a little experience with my brother's tanks, and he helps me a bit too. but this the the first planted tank in the household and i wanted it right.

as to roberts post. i understand. so most of the micro and macro nutrients will be supplied by the substrate, the water, and my fish?
edo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2004, 02:35 AM   #22
Momotaro
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)

HEY!

No picking on Edo! This guy is one of my favorite "Algae Growers"!

I would say a portin of the macro, micro, and trace elements will be supplied the substrate, the water, and your fish. The rest are going to be supplied by you when you fertilize your aquarium.

Take some time and read some of the threads about fertilization. The Algae Forum is a good place to start! Try and get a grasp on the basic ideas on what we normally dose, how much, to what ratios, and why. You will quickly get an idea about what is going on.

Oh yeah! Ask lots of questions!

Mike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.