1.5G: D-Simplicity the planted nano (Journal) - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 12-26-2008, 04:01 PM   #31
iGabe
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
The Excel will probably run you less than those c02 tablets plus on a small tank like that will last you a very long time.
Yeah, makes sense. 1 tablet lasts 1-2 weeks which costs R$ 2,50. And in 6 months I'll probably spend around R$ 30 with Co2 tablets, the excel costs around R$ 40-50 and will probably last longer.

Today, I've noticed that the glosso is sprouting A LOT of fresh green baby leaves, and the old yellow leaves covered in algae seem to be recovering a bit.

And I'm a little worried that my cories may not be true pygmy cories. Because I googled pygmy corydora, and it just showed pics of tiny cories with STRIPES. And my cories are tiny too (2-2.5 cm), but they have DOTS/STRIPES with a DARK DORSAL FIN. So someone please help me out with this one.
iGabe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2008, 12:18 PM   #32
iGabe
Algae Grower

Finally found what type of cry I have. It looks like this:

It's called Aspidoras pauciradiatus. Unfortunately it gets a little bit bigger than what I wanted
Just a little pissed because the guy at the LFS said they were true pygmies
Old 12-27-2008, 12:39 PM   #33
Homer_Simpson
Wannabe Guru

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGabe View Post
...Just a little pissed because the guy at the LFS said they were true pygmies
Lol, I can relate and know exactly how you feel. Some of those fish store staff are FOS and I lost count of how many times they mislead me or gave me misinformation because they did not know what they were talking about and had no idea. Even now, when I go into the fish stores, the staff still give me a load of BS. The worst part is that the ignorant A-Holes will still debate the issue with you instead of admitting they don't really know. I just research on-line what I need to know and I no longer trust them. If I did not know what I know now, i would probably have a tank full of dead fish and plants if I followed their BS advice.
Homer_Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2008, 04:49 PM   #34
iGabe
Algae Grower

Yeah, the worst part is that I actually believed the LfS's crap (which sucks). Anyways I was gooogling the species and everywhere I went to, it gave me different information about the species, one site said they were difficult to maintain and grew to 4cm while the other said they are a hardy species and grow to 2.9cm. Sooooo:

1) What size does the Aspidoras Pauciradiatus grow to?

2) Are they fairly easy to keep? (I've had no problems so far, even kept them in the bag for 12 hours)

I hope they stay smaller than 3.5 cm! They're already 2.5cm
Old 12-30-2008, 12:29 PM   #35
iGabe
Algae Grower

So here are some updates and pics. I finally got the DIY co2 to work, except I made it with a 600ml bottle to match my nano in size. It's ugly as hell, but it does the job.

A shot of my lonely platy fry with the diy co2 tubing, as well as algae

My FAKE pygmy corydora, aka Aspidoras Pauciradiatus

Glosso that is growing both horizontally and vertically at the same time. (with algae)

Another shot of glosso sprouting some roots and leaves

FTS (BTW the micro sword is finally sending out runners!)

Just ONE problem now, I got f***** brown algae in my beautiful planted nano! It started on the micro sword, so I did a blackout and a water change. But now it's on my glosso, the sides and even on the surface! What do I do to get rid of it? I've tried cleaning off the sides, blackouts and water changes. Should I try one of those algae killing chemicals?
Old 12-30-2008, 02:00 PM   #36
Phoenix-cry
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Normally this stuff is caused by too little light, too much oxygen, and too much nitrates. This is a common 'new tank' syndrome.

Rub the stuff off the glass, increase light, and use some sort of nitrate pillow in the filter.

The low light is probably why the gloss is growing diagonally as well, just seeking out the best light and if the light is not straight down it will bend towards it.

Good luck! Brown algae is EVIL!!!!!
Phoenix-cry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2008, 03:42 PM   #37
iGabe
Algae Grower

I should increase the light? I thought when algae blooms started in the tank, you're suppose to DECREASE the light. I don't think I have low light in my tank, it has 1.5 gallons with a 15w bulb over it. All I'm doing is daily water changes, I will try to find a better "nitrate pillow". For now, I just put in my anubias (floating) to absorb some of the extra nutrients and co2. And as embarrassing as it may sound, I don't have a real filter of any type in this small tank as I'm trying to find one that is small enough for it. It's just fish and plants.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:57 PM   #38
Phoenix-cry
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Brown algae likes low light situations, what kind of bulb is that 15w and how old is it? Most bulbs stop producing workable light after 6 months to a year. I would halt the daily water changes, that's too much change and doesn't give the tank a chance to cycle properly. What kind of water are you using? Tap water can often harbor nasty stuff. RO water with a touch of RO Right (chemical used to rebalance RO).

I had a 2 1/2 gallon with no filter just plants and fish and it did fine once it was cycled. I did water changes (very small ones) only once a month.

If you never give the water a chance to mature, it will never cycle.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:56 PM   #39
iGabe
Algae Grower

It's a 15W 6500K Fluorescent Light Bulb (those screw-on compact bulbs) it's about 5 months old. I'm doing water changes with mineral water, I was doing it with filtered tap water but I've recently stopped. I'm probably going to buy some bacteria to help it cycle faster. I don't think I gave it enough time to cycle properly. Should I use my liquid fertilizer that I've recently bought?
Old 12-30-2008, 05:13 PM   #40
Phoenix-cry
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I would get the cycle stuff, stop water changes for a while, and hold off on the fert as long as you have some proper substrate under that gravel. Sounds like the light shoud be okay for a while (the screw on compacts last longer).
Old 12-30-2008, 06:12 PM   #41
iGabe
Algae Grower

Thanks Phoenix-cry, I'm going to get the bio bacteria asap. Yeah, I have an Azoo condensed substrate fertilizer ball that I cut into pieces and spread out evenly in the gravel. Since aquarium hoods here cost a lot, I'm going to get a decent-looking lamp with compact fluorescents. After I added my DIY Co2 generator today, all of my plant started bubbling long streams of O2 like crazy! Especially my anubias that I just threw in. And the fish really seem to like the plants' O2, that's because my cories and platy fry really colored up after I added the Co2.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:27 PM   #42
Phoenix-cry
Planted Tank Enthusiast

No problem! Glad ya got some fert balls in there, gravel is not what plants want to grow in usually.

Aquarium hoods cost a lot no matter where you are, it's insane. With the lamp just make sure that the lamp shines straight down to keep the plants from growing off the side.

Have you tested for ammonia, nitrates, nitrites, and pH?
Old 12-30-2008, 06:47 PM   #43
iGabe
Algae Grower

Aquarium lamps in São Paulo are freakishly expensive, more than the US lamps. R$ 50 for a 41cm incandescent lamp, fluorescent is double the price! Definitely getting a desk lamp. It sort of looks like this one, except in black and with an 8-13w bulb:

Unfortunately I have just remembered I gave away my complete test kit I had bought in Charlotte, NC. And test kits here cost about R$ 100. So when I do get my test kit, I'll probably get the separate pieces (pH first). But I'm guessing my pH is around 6, and nitrate is probably a little bit high. But obviously not too high because my fish are thriving.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:50 PM   #44
Phoenix-cry
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Eeeek! Massive cost! Can you order online or is shipping just as bad with cost?

The fact that the fish have better colour now means they are happier, I asked about the levels cause you noted that they had changed colour. Pale colours on fish normally means there's a problem with water Q.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:13 PM   #45
iGabe
Algae Grower

I know it's really pricey. Shipping costs are even worse.

The cories were always very healthy-looking, it was just the platy fry that was pale. So how long do you think I should keep my lights on for today, since I added Co2 today? (turned them on at 10:00 am)s

Tags
1.5 gallon iwagumi nano

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.