1.5G: D-Simplicity the planted nano (Journal) - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 12-10-2008, 12:23 PM   #16
iGabe
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Thanks Down_Shift, anyways probably thinking of replacing the java fern with something a little smaller. And what I mean by that is something with smaller leaves (that doesn't make my tank look tiny) that gets really bushy, so it will hide my future pump. I was thinking somethin' like a anubias nana or a cool-looking crypt.

Yesterday I left the light on for a very long time because I had just added the Co2 tablet, and I wanted it to go to use. And would you believe it, my fern and micro sword were pearling like crazy! I was really worried about the micro sword, because it went through the process of being submersed for the first time yesterday. But don't worry, I will spread it out.

When I get the HC, I think just 1 pot will already give my tank a full carpet. Because the tank is so small, that I don't think there is too much substrate area to cover. HC here can range anywhere from R$ 5-15,00. But it's fairly easy to find in stores.
iGabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2008, 11:35 PM   #17
iGabe
Algae Grower

I went to my LFS today and I saw a whole bunch of adorable pygmy corydoras in a tank for only R$ 2,00 each! So the cories are now obviously on my fish wishlist. Planning on getting 1-2x as they're sooo tiny and don't really affect the bioload. I was researching on them, but it doesn't really say if in general they are easy fish to keep. My question is:
Are Pygmy Corydoras relatively easy to keep? Would they be fine in a subtropical tank?
(I've found a lot of sites that said that they can be kept in 23 C)

I think the HC will have to wait, because the only ones I've found are WAY too expensive for the portion they are giving you. R$15,00 for HC the size of a dime, talk about going cheap

And I saw some glosso that was in stock, I really want to try it out. Put it in mid-ground with the HC foreground. Except the only problem was the glosso was growing vertically and had a LITTLE algae problem. It was only R$ 9,00 for a pot, should I get it?
Old 12-15-2008, 10:59 PM   #18
iGabe
Algae Grower

Semi-Good news. I got my first pot of glosso! The only problem was that the glosso was growing vertically and had a LOT of dead leaves near the bottom. And trimming it was a pain in the ass. I did about half of it, still have a small amount to propagate tomorrow morning. I had a question, when I trimming it can I only cut plantlets with roots (LFS told me)? Because there weren't too many parts of the glosso that had roots, but I cut a few parts that didn't have roots.

I also spaced out the micro sword bush.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:52 AM   #19
iGabe
Algae Grower

UPDATE!

Ok, so I finally planted SOME of the glosso. Damn, it's so difficult to plant a stupid little plantlet. But I didn't have much trouble with them staying down in the substrate. Unfortunately, I had to plant it with regular everyday tweezers lol . My aquarium tweezers haven't arrived yet. But what I think was the most stressful painstaking part of the whole process was cutting a pile of crappy glosso into tiny individual Michael Angelo looking plantlets! But after I was done with half of the glosso, I stood back and looked at my Sistine Chapel, my planted nano. I kept the rest of the plantlets on a frisbee with water (talk about being cheap again). And I still have the same question:
When I'm trimming it, can I only cut plantlets with roots (LFS told me)? Because there weren't too many parts of the glosso that had roots, but I cut a few parts that didn't have roots. And here are some pics for you to further understand what I'm talking about:

And here is a pic of my new Anubias Lanceolata that I traded for my Java Fern and Ghost Shrimp for. I also gathered all of the Micro Sword plantlets into a small bush. I think it looks much better that way. The water level is very low, but just high enough to cover the Glosso and Micro Sword. That's why I covered the tank, so it won't evaporate.

Will fill it up when I'll add the rest of the glosso (wow it's gonna be a thick carpet) and add the Co2 tablet. Umm, when do I start adding liquid fertilizer?
Old 12-24-2008, 04:48 PM   #20
iGabe
Algae Grower

UPDATE: I had to take the tank apart and start all over again. I had to replant the glosso after all the hard work and hours spent on it, which was a pain in the neck. Half of the glosso survived, and I also spread out the micro sword. The micro sword looks great, no growth , but it pearls and it's looking rather healthy. The glosso is growing slightly upward, so I still can't declare officially that it won't send out runners and grow horizontally.

I also bought 2 pygmy corydoras, they are some of the coolest little fish I've ever had. And also got 3 platy fry as a bribe from the LFS
One of them is in the tank to help cycle, I think they will be my tank cleaners until they outgrow it. Because they tend to pick off the dying hair algae on the glosso. They're my "pretend" ricefish haha.

I just made a DIY Co2 generator, but it's been almost 2 hours and still no bubbles
I guess I'll be using the Co2 tablets after all. Will post pics soon.
Old 12-25-2008, 10:07 PM   #21
Kayen
Planted Tank Enthusiast

It took my DIY CO2 generator 12 hours before bubbles started being produced, patience my friend.
Like the progress so far.

Also for adding liquid ferts, i say you can go ahead and add them now if you like.

Also for microsword make sure it's not too close together when taken out of the pot, as i heard it doesn't do well like that .
Old 12-25-2008, 10:15 PM   #22
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (57/100%)

i think some C. wendtii would look better instead of the anubias. in nanos, a broad-leaved plant really throws off the scape.

give the CO2 time. in the cold monthes it takes a while to start (it will put out bubbles in 2 hours, but just maybe 1 every half hour, so you dont catch it).
Old 12-25-2008, 10:22 PM   #23
Homer_Simpson
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGabe View Post
...I just made a DIY Co2 generator, but it's been almost 2 hours and still no bubbles
I guess I'll be using the Co2 tablets after all. Will post pics soon.
Here is one way that you can get around this problem and IME it works.

Place one teaspoon sugar in one glass of water and microwave for 12 seconds. Mix your yeast into the water after you microwave it. Now wait about 1/2 an hour. Measure the rest of the sugar as usual and place in the bottle with some luke warm water and baking soda, add the yeast water mixture(it should be foaming) into the bottle to bring it to 3/4 to the top. Now cap and insert the c02 tubing into your tank. Using a starter mix like this will get the c02 bubbles to form and disperse faster. I usually use two exact same bottles and the night before I need to add new c02 brew, I mix and prepare and leave 24 hours. Next day when I replace the pent up brew and bottle, I get instant c02 production with no interruption.
Homer_Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 12:24 PM   #24
iGabe
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viettxboii View Post
It took my DIY CO2 generator 12 hours before bubbles started being produced, patience my friend.
Like the progress so far.

Also for adding liquid ferts, i say you can go ahead and add them now if you like.

Also for microsword make sure it's not too close together when taken out of the pot, as i heard it doesn't do well like that .
Yeah it's been 2 days and still no bubbles
After I made the generator, I just got curious as whether it was the yeast that was causing the problem. And it was! When I used to live in the US, yeast there was brown-colored and looked like little round pebbles. The yeast I used here almost looks like baking soda, and that's because it's mixed with a whole bunch of crap (Corn Starch and chemicals). So until then, I'll be on the lookout for real yeast

Yeah will soon buy some fert after the stores open up.
And yes, as I mentioned before I did spread out the micro sword. And the pygmy cories LOVE to hang out there (they made a little nest there lol)

Thanks for the feedback, really appreciate it
Old 12-26-2008, 12:30 PM   #25
iGabe
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by @marko@ View Post
i think some C. wendtii would look better instead of the anubias. in nanos, a broad-leaved plant really throws off the scape.

give the CO2 time. in the cold monthes it takes a while to start (it will put out bubbles in 2 hours, but just maybe 1 every half hour, so you dont catch it).
I forgot to mention that I took out the anubias and threw it in plant orphanage tank
The anubias was supposed to be my centerpiece plant, but it's too big. I was thinking about using either a crypt or some HM (micranthoides i think that's how it's spelled) But I'm probably going to get the HM (if I can find some) because it gets that bushy appearance (that I want) to cover the future pump/filter that will be in the back corner. Maybe put some tiny downoi in front of the rock I have.
Old 12-26-2008, 12:31 PM   #26
iGabe
Algae Grower

This is for the simpson dude too

Quote:
Yeah it's been 2 days and still no bubbles
After I made the generator, I just got curious as whether it was the yeast that was causing the problem. And it was! When I used to live in the US, yeast there was brown-colored and looked like little round pebbles. The yeast I used here almost looks like baking soda, and that's because it's mixed with a whole bunch of crap (Corn Starch and chemicals). So until then, I'll be on the lookout for real yeast

Yeah will soon buy some fert after the stores open up.
And yes, as I mentioned before I did spread out the micro sword. And the pygmy cories LOVE to hang out there (they made a little nest there lol)

Thanks for the feedback, really appreciate it
Old 12-26-2008, 12:34 PM   #27
iGabe
Algae Grower

Quote:
Ok, so I finally planted SOME of the glosso. Damn, it's so difficult to plant a stupid little plantlet. But I didn't have much trouble with them staying down in the substrate. Unfortunately, I had to plant it with regular everyday tweezers lol . My aquarium tweezers haven't arrived yet. But what I think was the most stressful painstaking part of the whole process was cutting a pile of crappy glosso into tiny individual Michael Angelo looking plantlets! But after I was done with half of the glosso, I stood back and looked at my Sistine Chapel, my planted nano. I kept the rest of the plantlets on a frisbee with water (talk about being cheap again). And I still have the same question:
When I'm trimming it, can I only cut plantlets with roots (LFS told me)? Because there weren't too many parts of the glosso that had roots, but I cut a few parts that didn't have roots. And here are some pics for you to further understand what I'm talking about:
Could anyone answer that for me? Still have the same issue. The glosso seems to be growing a LITTLE, just barely sprouting some "baby leaves".
Old 12-26-2008, 01:29 PM   #28
Homer_Simpson
Wannabe Guru

Arrow

This talks about best way to trim glosso. You might find it useful/interesting.
http://www.barrreport.com/general-pl...-trimming.html

Also, with respect to c02 injection, if you continue to have problems, just use Seachem Excel for your tank. It will provide the carbon the plants need without the hassle. And because you would be using very little of it on such a small tank, it won't really be that expensive IME, I had a 2.5 tank where I used c02 injection and a 3 gallon tank where I used Excel daily. The plants in in the 3 gallon did much better and I did not have to worry about the hassle of mixing and changing the c02 yeast mixture. The only reason that I had to finally break the 3 gallon tank down was not because of any algae(there was none) or poor plant growth(plants did really well), or fish deaths(the Amano Shrimp and White Cloud Minnow did really well), it was because some stupid pond snails grew out of control.

Also, be really carefully when you upgrade your lighting from 15 watt. Even on a small tank, it does not take much to fuel an algae outbreak if you are not careful and once you get algae it is a real PITA to get rid of it.
Old 12-26-2008, 03:00 PM   #29
iGabe
Algae Grower

Thanks Homer, I'm actually going to do a small downgrade. From 15w to 8-13w, depending on the bulb that comes with the fixture. Will definitely take a look on the excel, it's a little pricey here but I'll try to find some.
Old 12-26-2008, 03:32 PM   #30
Homer_Simpson
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Thanks Homer, I'm actually going to do a small downgrade. From 15w to 8-13w, depending on the bulb that comes with the fixture. Will definitely take a look on the excel, it's a little pricey here but I'll try to find some.
You are welcome. With that 3 gallon tank I mentioned, I was only using one 10 watt corallife colormax compact fluorescent bulb and it seemed to work fine. It does give off a little bit of a pink hue which some do not like. I also had success using a 14 watt 6400 K compact fluorescent bulb over a 3 gallon tank. This is the one that I am currently testing with a 3 gallon, daily excel dosing, and ADA Aquasoil II. Although too early to say how well this setup will do, so far plant growth is better than I expected and there is no algae. For ground cover I used pygme chain sword(Echinodorus tenellus) and it has already sprouted a runner with two small rosettes.

The Excel will probably run you less than those c02 tablets plus on a small tank like that will last you a very long time.

Tags
1.5 gallon iwagumi nano