Go-Go Gadget Nano! - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 12-01-2008, 03:22 PM   #16
SPL-311
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Hey Mott - I didn't think to snap any photos while building the stand, but it's basically just a rectangle box with a door and a trim piece on the front. Pretty simple. Finishing it to make it look like a single piece is the hardest part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roybot73 View Post
How old is the bulb in your MH? IIRC it's an Aqua Medic Ocean Light? Do you have good CO2 distribution? Those are the only 2 things I can think of right now...
Wow, you sure have a good memory! It is indeed an Aqua Medic light, and I put in an ADA 6800k bulb in February. I don't think the CO2 was being distributed all that well, so when I put in the stem plants last week I added a small powerhead to help push the CO2 around the tank. Do you think the MH bulb could be the source of my problems? I'm a little stumped with this one...
SPL-311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2008, 03:28 PM   #17
SPL-311
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARIMOBALL View Post
very nice mini. Your stand looks really nice. It does need a background and the large crypt on the right is too big for the tank l and the wood looks oo symmetrical . Oh and where did you get the light it looks like a archea light from Aqua Forrest? do you mind Pm me the price.
Very good points Marimoball. I thought the same thing about the crypt on the right after I put it in, but as I'm looking for a good background plant I decided to leave it for now. I'm thinking I might pull the crypt and replace it with some more dwarf sag - I like how that plant is looking on the left of the tank. Perhaps another piece of driftwood will help as well - I have a problem making my tanks to symmetrical sometimes

As for the light, it is indeed the archea from Aqua Forest, I know there are a few people on this forum using it, and I'm pretty happy with it. The spread of light could be a bit better, but it's not too bad. I believe it was around $55 or $60 IIRC.
Old 12-01-2008, 11:25 PM   #18
Ugly Genius
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

I don't think it's too balanced. I think it could use a rock or two subtly placed and just off of center, but I think the details you've put into the scape so far reveal an artistic eye that affords you the ability to break the conventions of this hobby and strike a path of your own.
Meaning, you've probably got enough skill to break the rules and still have the 'scape come out looking great.
Ugly Genius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 10:42 PM   #19
brohawk
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (32/100%)

Tank shmank (which looks great btw). But show us some pics of the Datsun!
brohawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 01:42 AM   #20
SPL-311
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly Genius View Post
I don't think it's too balanced. I think it could use a rock or two subtly placed and just off of center, but I think the details you've put into the scape so far reveal an artistic eye that affords you the ability to break the conventions of this hobby and strike a path of your own.
Meaning, you've probably got enough skill to break the rules and still have the 'scape come out looking great.
Thanks a bunch UG, I'm needing a bit of encouragement right about now. My 90-P is doing awful. Nothing is growing and I'm having attack after attack of algae. Right now it's BGA and Clado. I'm about to tear that thing down and start over. Here's a crappy photo:

Sooooo, now that I've got that off my chest we can focus on the bright side: the nano is doing great. I took the advice of MarimoBall and removed the big crypt from the right side of the tank and replaced it with a couple dwarf sags. I think it looks a lot better. The cloudiness is mostly from stirring up the aquasoil. I hope.

My idea of a reptile tank heater in the stand wasn't cutting it as the temp had fallen below 70 today and the shrimp pretty much stopped moving around at all. I broke out the good old 7.5 watt mini-heater, so hopefully this will make the little guys feel a little better. While I was digging through my old aquarium supplies, I found out I still had a mini diffuser that I thought was long broken. 15 minutes with some airline and hot glue and now I've got some DIY CO2 going non this guy! Yea!

The HC seems to be diggin' the abundant CO2:

I'm still thinking I need to add another piece of DW to the middle part of the tank. I need some more drama!
Old 12-03-2008, 01:55 AM   #21
SPL-311
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by brohawk View Post
Tank shmank (which looks great btw). But show us some pics of the Datsun!
Lol! The Datsun was a great car (SPL-311 is the model code for a Datsun Roadster for those that don't know) but I ended up selling it - the body was in pretty rough shape. But I've still got old cars - '65 MGB, '69 Porsche 912 and '65 Morris Minor. I know I know, selling a Datsun Roadster for an MGB is worse than changing a planted tank over to a reef! Couple nice pics of the Datsun since you asked:

Old 12-03-2008, 02:36 AM   #22
brohawk
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (32/100%)

Haha! Hey, at least you traded it in for a chrome bumpered B, right? Could be worse! You coulda got a Miata!

Don't get too discouraged w/ the 90-P. I'm dealing w/ at least 5 different algae infestations in my main tank at the moment myself.
brohawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 02:52 AM   #23
Ugly Genius
Wannabe Guru

The 90-P is beautiful. Not right now, obviously, but it's a tank worth fighting for! It's got to be something major and simple. To affect all plants like it has must mean it's something basic and fundamental to plant growth.

The nano is going to look phenomenal filled in. Like a clearing between ancient trees in a primordial forest. It's the type of 'scape that forces the imagination to find a story to accompany it. Those are the best kinds of 'scapes: the kind you want to run around in.
Ugly Genius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 04:30 AM   #24
SPL-311
Algae Grower

Thanks guys, I'm def going to stick with the 90 until I get it cleared up. Not sure on the tear down and rebuild yet, but I am certainly close. I was looking back through my photobucket account and found a pic I took just before I moved the tank:

I can do that again!!! I think I might need to go with more fast-growing stem plants and get things poppin. Anyone know if aquasoil has a finite usable life? The AS in my 90 is about 2 and a half years old and pretty squished up.

Quote:
Like a clearing between ancient trees in a primordial forest.
That's exactly the look I was going for! I actually pulled those stump driftwood thingies from a swamp near my house - they are the bottom of some sort of bush or something. They really looked like little trees before any of the plants started growing in, but now I'm thinking they might just look like 2 sticks when their bases are covered with HC...Have to carefully consider this one...
Old 12-03-2008, 05:08 AM   #25
Dollface
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (77/100%)

If you're open to the idea, I think some kind of largeish floaters would look great in your nano, The roots hanging down would definately add to the feel of a primordial forest, as UG put it. It might also lend a neat lighting effect like sunlight filtering down through trees.
Only after everything else has grown and settled in, though.
Old 12-03-2008, 05:40 AM   #26
MARIMOBALL
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

The new scape looks tons better. Now that you have CO2 the HC is going to take off. nice diffuser. BTW the used aquasoil should be good. Just let it dry out completely. You can add new powersand or the new Pfertz root tabs to the bottom and your good to go. I have used aquasoil many times. Don't give up on the 90P. Im also having algae probs on my 120P but I think its clearing up. Once you succeed with an ADA tank, It rivals or beats any reef setup with its clean uncluttered streamline look and lush green flora that brings a little piece of nature to your home

http://socalaquascapers.com/
MARIMOBALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 06:10 AM   #27
brion0
Planted Tank Obsessed

It looks great,the stand is realy clean. Did you find the drift wood for this tank to? Ill be watching to see if you add something in the center,a rock might be nice.
brion0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 03:24 PM   #28
SPL-311
Algae Grower

Hey Dollface, now that you mention it some floaters would be pretty neat looking in this scape. I'll give it some serious thought when the HC is filled in - maybe it will help to slow the crazy growth that turned UG off HC in Riven.

Thanks for the advice about the scape and the Aquasoil Marimoball That's exactly the type of information that keeps me coming back to this site. If I end up taking down the 90-p I'll probably put the AS through a sieve or something and get rid of all the mush.

I did collect the wood for this tank Brion. Actually I found it in Bybee lake (more of a swampy wetland actually) in Portland, OR. They are old stumps from a bush I think. I really like the look of older wood like this.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:01 PM   #29
Karackle
Woah, I'm a Guru?!

PTrader: (16/100%)

wow, REALLY nice little tank you have here! I agree with UG, it really looks like an ancient forest that i would love to go exploring in expecting to see mythical creatures of all kinds around each corner. I don't think the wood looks too symmetrical, it gives the feeling you are looking through two huge trees. I agree also that once it grows in some large floaters might really add to the effect.

It's so funny, looking at the tank close up it looks so large, but then you see it with the box of baking soda and bottle of excel in the cabinet and up against the wall and realize it's actually this teeny little tank! Fantastic job with scale! More so now that you took the large crypt out too. I love it. What kind of moss is growing on the wood? or is that mini pellia?

I need to get my hands wet and redo my 5.5g....it's a mess, your tank along with one or two others on this forum have inspired me to dive in...probably tonight, thanks!
I enjoy having a zoo to care for!
20gH Planted tank,5g Planted Betta Tank
Karackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 07:13 PM   #30
SPL-311
Algae Grower

Thanks Krackle! The moss on the wood is actually Flame Moss, I think it's a pretty good one looking moss.

Last week I received 20 RCS from another member through the shop & Swap and added them to the tank. They really give a whole lot of new movement! Aside from that, everything is pretty much the same. HC is filling in really quickly but some leaves on my crypts melted off. I think it may have been from low nitrates for a day or so.

Also, my cloudy water problem seems to be taking care of itself - check the pics: