Go-Go Gadget Nano!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 11-30-2008, 07:51 PM   #1
SPL-311
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Go-Go Gadget Nano!

I've had my ADA Mini-S set up for about a month now, and finally decided to take some photos to post up here. I always love to see how aquariums develop and grow in over time.

I used AS for the substrate, and I'm looking for more of a wild over-grown look so I used more different species of plants than I usually would have. I think I'll let it grow in really think and keep the triming to a minimum. At the momemnt 3 bumblebee shrimp and 5 rasboras make up the fauna load. Some stange bacterial thing is happening right now too; the water looks a bit cloudy but I'm hoping that will clear up in a couple days.

Nuts and bolts: 28watt 10,000k light, little nano HOB filter, but no heater (it hangs at around 65 degrees or so but the low temp doesn't seem to bother anyone). I built the stand using 1/2" particle board and painted it with a brush. I dose Excel daily and 1/8 tsp KNO3 twice a week or so as needed to keep Nitrates at 10ppm. Overall, I'm pretty happy with how the tank is going, but I think it is missing a little something. Maybe another piece of driftwood to add some drama, or another plant in the centerr back of the tank. Maybe I just need to have a little patience and let it grow in some more - what do you guys think?

Here are a couple shots of the tank and stand in my living room:

Full tank shot:

Rasboras and shrimp:
SPL-311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-30-2008, 07:58 PM   #2
Ugly Genius
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

I love it! Awesome stand.

Could you post a full tank shot from the front so as to allow us to see the overall hardscape? It'll be easier to tell if you need to add more kick or not. From what I see, it looks great.
Ugly Genius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 08:03 PM   #3
roybot73
The Circumloctioner

PTrader: (37/100%)

Pretty sweet little setup! It should fill in very nicely.

Whatever happened with your 'Stumptown' setup? I loved that tank!
Old 11-30-2008, 08:09 PM   #4
deleted_user_16
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
Send a message via AIM to deleted_user_16

like the set up! OMG YOU HAVE BORARAS UROPTHALMOIDES. my favorite boraras sp. i have 2 left, started with 7
deleted_user_16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 08:13 PM   #5
SPL-311
Algae Grower

Hey UG, thanks for the comment. Riven has been a real inspiration for tank, and I follow your updates pretty closely, though I don't think I've posted in your thread yet...Anyway, here's the straight on front shot, I donno, I just feel like maybe it needs something in the middle.

I took these photos yesterday afternoon, and the water is already starting to clear quite a bit. Maybe I had the 24hour cloudy tank flu!
Old 11-30-2008, 08:19 PM   #6
SPL-311
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by roybot73 View Post
Pretty sweet little setup! It should fill in very nicely.

Whatever happened with your 'Stumptown' setup? I loved that tank!
Hey you remember that huh! Cool. I've still got the aquarium set up, but she's no longer really 'Stumptown'. When I moved to Portland from San Francisco 6 months ago I obviously had to tear her down and start over, so I decided to use stone instead of wood. I've been fighting one thing after another with that tank for months, and I've been a bit discouraged with it. I got greenwater, then BGA, then hair algae, then BGA again, then greenwater again etc etc. I think i finally have it traced down to my fert dosing and have it evened out now, but I just can't get anything to grow in that tank right now. If things don't get better in a couple weeks I'm going to clean it out and start with a clean slate again.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:19 PM   #7
Down_Shift
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (23/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Down_Shift

Very nice stand.. Any close ups of the finish/paint?
Down_Shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 08:26 PM   #8
roybot73
The Circumloctioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPL-311 View Post
Hey you remember that huh! Cool. I've still got the aquarium set up, but she's no longer really 'Stumptown'. When I moved to Portland from San Francisco 6 months ago I obviously had to tear her down and start over, so I decided to use stone instead of wood. I've been fighting one thing after another with that tank for months, and I've been a bit discouraged with it. I got greenwater, then BGA, then hair algae, then BGA again, then greenwater again etc etc. I think i finally have it traced down to my fert dosing and have it evened out now, but I just can't get anything to grow in that tank right now. If things don't get better in a couple weeks I'm going to clean it out and start with a clean slate again.
Sorry to hear about your tank issues, but I'm glad to hear you still have it! Get some pics up once you get it straightened out
Old 11-30-2008, 08:36 PM   #9
SPL-311
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down_Shift View Post
Very nice stand.. Any close ups of the finish/paint?

Thanks! It was actually pretty easy to make, I only used a tablesaw & cordless drill, and a bunch of wood screws, glue, hinges and some paint. Oh, and I used bondo to smooth the edges a bit. For paint I used a coat of primer (Kills brand or something like that) and a couple coats of grey paint that sorta kinda matches the ADA color scheme. Total cost was about $60 and a weekend of my time. I also mounted one of those reptile tank heaters underneath the top of the stand thinking it might work as a sort of substrate heater, but I don't think it's really doing anything. The water temp is basically the same weather it's on or off.

Here's the stand all closed up:

and a view of the inside (don't laugh at my jumble of cords I know it's horrifying!)

These hinges are sweet once they're in, but they can be a bit of a pain to get mounted right:

If I had to do it over agian, I'd spend some extra money for better quality wood, the particle board I used is pretty crappy.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:42 PM   #10
SPL-311
Algae Grower

Quote:
Sorry to hear about your tank issues, but I'm glad to hear you still have it! Get some pics up once you get it straightened out
Well, embarrassing as it may be, here is a shot from about 2 months ago. Since this was taken the glosso has pretty much all died and everything else quit putting out any new growth. I put a bunch of stem plants in last week to try and get some good growing vibes happening, but without much success. not sure why these plants refuse to grow???
Old 11-30-2008, 08:53 PM   #11
roybot73
The Circumloctioner

I didn't mean to derail your nano thread with the mention of your 90-P

Hmmm... Very odd that it all stopped growing. What are you dosing?
Old 11-30-2008, 09:25 PM   #12
SPL-311
Algae Grower

Quote:
I didn't mean to derail your nano thread with the mention of your 90-P

Hmmm... Very odd that it all stopped growing. What are you dosing?
No worries, I actually enjoy when threads blaze their own trail. The 90 is getting standard EI dosing these days: KNO3, Kh2PO4, K2SO4 and CSM+B, but that's only been going on for a couple weeks. Before that I was only dosing KNO3 to about 5 ppm. I don't have a good reason why I was doing that, and I should have figured out something was wrong sooner given all the algae problems I was having. Now the algae seems to be behaving itself, but I haven't seen any new growth for about 10 days or so. any ideas? pH is 6.8, kH 5.0, Nitrates 20ppm, temp 76, 150w MH on 8 hours per day...
Old 11-30-2008, 09:33 PM   #13
mott
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

I love it! Great stand I need one for my mini-m bad... Do you have any pic's from the build of the stand?

EHEIM Pimp Club Member #250 2217,2026,2236
mott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 02:09 AM   #14
roybot73
The Circumloctioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPL-311 View Post
No worries, I actually enjoy when threads blaze their own trail. The 90 is getting standard EI dosing these days: KNO3, Kh2PO4, K2SO4 and CSM+B, but that's only been going on for a couple weeks. Before that I was only dosing KNO3 to about 5 ppm. I don't have a good reason why I was doing that, and I should have figured out something was wrong sooner given all the algae problems I was having. Now the algae seems to be behaving itself, but I haven't seen any new growth for about 10 days or so. any ideas? pH is 6.8, kH 5.0, Nitrates 20ppm, temp 76, 150w MH on 8 hours per day...
How old is the bulb in your MH? IIRC it's an Aqua Medic Ocean Light? Do you have good CO2 distribution? Those are the only 2 things I can think of right now...
Old 12-01-2008, 03:24 AM   #15
MARIMOBALL
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

very nice mini. Your stand looks really nice. It does need a background and the large crypt on the right is too big for the tank l and the wood looks oo symmetrical . Oh and where did you get the light it looks like a archea light from Aqua Forrest? do you mind Pm me the price.

http://socalaquascapers.com/
MARIMOBALL is offline   Reply With Quote