OK Sam...Im goin nuts !
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 02-03-2003, 10:44 PM   #1
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (3/100%)

Since you have an answer for all the lighting needs... HELP ! :hehe:

My 56 gallon is an oddball size for ODNO I think and I am trying to achieve some power...
The tank dimensions are 30L x 18W (24" H) and it seems to be an odd size to do anything reasonably priced...
PC lighting is very expensive... any ideas bro ?

Old 02-04-2003, 01:17 PM   #2
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

That is definitely an oddball size, but those are often the most fun. Obviously, you're going to have to do multiple smaller bulbs in series to cover this tank with light.

I see three potential configurations for this tank (two of which I like most).

1) Four 24" F17T8 bulbs Like these:
UFL - F17T8
Configure two bulbs in series with a 4-F32T8 ballast. The total effect should be roughly equal to two ODNO four foot tubes (13000 lumens) which is just over 2 watts per gallon with pretty good dispersion.

2) Three or four three foot bulbs, overhanging the tank three inches on each side. Aside from being slightly unsightly, this setup is pretty ideal for plants, lighting to the very edge and even side-lighting a bit. Downside is that you'll need three or four ballasts, which would drive cost up close to a PC setup.

3) Another possibility is just like the last option, but instead of 36" bulbs, use two 15" bulbs in series for each ballast. I'm using a pair of these bulbs on my 20g reef and the light is pretty impressive. Coraline algae is growing prolifically. This would also keep all the bulbs within a canopy and prevent overhand. Once again, though, you'd have to spring for at least three ballasts to get enough light. You'd end up with a total of six bulbs as well, so it would be a good idea to buy a case of these bulbs right up front. Another plus for this config is that you could align the bulbs either three rows of two, lengthwise, or six rows of one along the tank. Either way, you're going to pretty much gaurantee no dark corners or shadows!

Hope that helps!
Old 02-04-2003, 10:03 PM   #3
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

Thats about what I came up with...however ,
Option 1 is just not enuff light for this tank and needs...its a deep one , if it was a shallower tank I would do that in a heartbeat but its 24" tall.
Option # 2 is definately out... I have 4' bulbs over my 36" tank allready.The overhanging bulbs dont bother me there but this tank is gonna be hooded ( DIY Wood ) and stained nice nice ... *orders from the wife* :hehe:
And Option # 3 I thought of but by the time Im done getting bulbs , ballasts etc I will be deep into a wiring Overdriven Frenzy thats still gonna run some money...
This morning , after 2 days of Googling all the lighting company sites for the cheapest fix the wife walks up to me and says... "Just order what you need to get this tank up and running ... stop playing games !!

That my man is a license to kill...

I just got off the phone with AHSupply and ordered a 1 x 55 and a 2 x 55 kit with with 2 - 6400k's and 1 - 10,000k bulb...

Then I called Big Al's and ordered another Filstar XP2 and a 250W Ebo~Jager

Then I called Drs Foster & Smith and ordered 60lbs of AragAlive Planted Tank Substrate and 20lbs Tahitan Moon Sand

I Love that Woman of mine !

I just wish she had said that sooner so you and I wouldnt have had to waste all this time thinking !

Thanks bro...
Old 02-05-2003, 12:57 PM   #4
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

Well if you hadn't spent all the time going through your limited possibilities, she wouldn't have gotten frustrated and ordered you to go full steam ahead with whatever works! Sounds like you're gonna have one heck of a nice setup now!
Old 02-05-2003, 10:25 PM   #5
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Way to go bro!!!
Maybe next time you can just fake being frustrated and save yourself a lot of time and heartache.:hehe:
FILSTAR Pimp #2

75 gal heavily planted,50/50 Black beauty,Eco-complete substrate, Pressurised CO2 with solenoid, ph controller, AB Reactor 1000, 330 watts 9325K GE PC lighting,Ehiem Liquidoser, 2-Filstar xp3 canisters.
m.lemay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2003, 11:12 PM   #6
SNPiccolo5
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Lol! I haven't set up a new tank for some time, but it is always fun doing it! Especially when you get to buy everything in one big go like that! I can't wait to see some pictures and some reports on the aragalive, as my substrate could always be a little deeper and I love the dark look....

-Tim
Old 02-07-2003, 02:50 AM   #7
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

The AragAlive does look nice with the dark color Tim but if all goes well all you will be able to see is a floor of LUSH GREEN and Tropic Isle Tahitian Moon Sand

It just sounds so nutrient rich .... I have to try it !
And by the way...
Angels have won the fish debate for this tank.... I havent had Angels in over 12 years and my jaw just dropped at those shown in the gallery posted by Sam...Im trying to do a replica tank with a "Tahitian Twist "

Stay Tuned !
Old 02-07-2003, 01:28 PM   #8
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

What kind of Angels are you getting and how many? I bought two golds, a black and a half-black but I wish I had gotten all the same kind. They look so much more impressive in groups like that!
Old 02-08-2003, 12:14 AM   #9
SNPiccolo5
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Agreed! If you need some angels, I would definitely consider buying them from angels plus if you don't have a good local source. I got 3 silvers (50% peruvian wild) and 2 DD blacks but wish that I got 5 silvers instead.... Steve knows how to ship fish and is good at what he does.

The Tahitian Moon Sand looks awesome!! I like it better than the aragalive stuff, it is also dark... If all goes well in my tank, dido. The only problem I have is deciding what plants I want! At least I got my foregroud decided!

I am having somewhat of a difficuilt (not too bad though) time planning out the aqua scape for my 55, as it is not very wide from front to back... I'm just sitting here waiting for my regulator to arrive in the mail while my plants are starving for CO2... can't wait until it is here so I can start doing stuff to my tank!

-Tim
Old 02-08-2003, 12:45 PM   #10
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

Getting plants locally has always been a problem but fish selections are very good at one of my shops...
I wish this tank was "fish ready" this past week... they had an unbelievable selection of Zebra Angels come in...perfect size and very healthy !
I am definately staying with one variety for this tank though instead of a mix. I am leaning towards either Zebras or the Gold Pearlscales... I guess I wont decide till its time to chose...I have had pearlscales in the past and they are beautiful fish.
So far though the Zebra's have the edge... :hehe:
Old 02-08-2003, 04:07 PM   #11
SNPiccolo5
Planted Tank Enthusiast

If the zebras are homozygous for zebra (Z/Z) then they will grow slowly, but if they are heterozygous (Z/?) then they will usually grow faster, especially the (Z/+) zebras... If you can find that out it might help, but I agree it is hard to decide between different strains, getting it narrowed down to 2 is an achievment by itself!

-Tim
Old 02-10-2003, 01:59 PM   #12
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

I'm moving my black and half black to another tank just so I can increase the number of Gold Angels from two to five in my tank, hehe. Five Angels of the same species in a 55g is just a magic number, hehe.

Tim, I'm feeling the same pain you are with aquascaping a 55g. I'm moving in the right direction, though, because every guest that has seen my tank at my house lately has said they liked the open area on the right with only groundcover plants. The tank looks much bigger already.
Old 02-10-2003, 10:30 PM   #13
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

Its amazing how fast a tank shrinks as the plants grow ! :hehe:
My 56G will look like an ocean against the 30 gallon Jungle ... LOL
I am not looking for rapid growth in any fish...as a matter of fact a little slower would be nice...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.