How to make a simple waterfall?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Riparium/Terrarium/Vivarium

Old 11-18-2008, 03:03 AM   #1
mybrotherdarrell
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

How to make a simple waterfall?

Hello! I have three full-water tanks, and I am ready for a new challenge, a paludarium. I have done quite a bit of research, but I can't find anything similar to what I want, and I am stumped.

Here's the situation: I want to keep only fish and plants in there, so I was thinking of this for my set up. An open top 10g with a waterfall in the back somewhere, a lot of branches and rocks sticking out of the water with emergent plants on them, and aquatic plants and fish in about 7'' of water. So, there won't be any land, really.

Here's my dilemma: I just want a small (as in footprint) waterfall (probably falling over a few flat rocks into the main body of water) that looks realistic. I want to power the fall with a powerhead that has tube running out of the output to the top of the fall. I will need some sort of housing for said powerhead and possibly a heater. And I would like this housing area to look natural.

Can anyone give me suggestions or a link to help me make a box/tube/slope etc. to hide a powerhead and create a realistic looking waterfall without taking up half the tank with 'land'?

Thank you for your help!!
mybrotherdarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2008, 03:48 AM   #2
SearunSimpson
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

If you just want a small one, the Hagen Elite Mini powerhead is pretty reasonable at about $9.99. Get some tubing to size and you should be peachy. It is also very small so you will be able to hide it.

I've been planning on doing this for a long time with said pump.

"You think you have tomorrow, but when tomorrow comes it's not tomorrow; it's now- and that's all you have" - Marc Johnson
Ehei-Pimpfen 276 yo!
SearunSimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 03:53 AM   #3
lilsuper2335
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybrotherdarrell View Post
Hello! I have three full-water tanks, and I am ready for a new challenge, a paludarium. I have done quite a bit of research, but I can't find anything similar to what I want, and I am stumped.

Here's the situation: I want to keep only fish and plants in there, so I was thinking of this for my set up. An open top 10g with a waterfall in the back somewhere, a lot of branches and rocks sticking out of the water with emergent plants on them, and aquatic plants and fish in about 7'' of water. So, there won't be any land, really.

Here's my dilemma: I just want a small (as in footprint) waterfall (probably falling over a few flat rocks into the main body of water) that looks realistic. I want to power the fall with a powerhead that has tube running out of the output to the top of the fall. I will need some sort of housing for said powerhead and possibly a heater. And I would like this housing area to look natural.

Can anyone give me suggestions or a link to help me make a box/tube/slope etc. to hide a powerhead and create a realistic looking waterfall without taking up half the tank with 'land'?

Thank you for your help!!
why dont you just run a canister filter and have the output come out on the top of the water fall and that should be all you need then you dont have to worry about hiding a powerhead and you would have more room to play with...
lilsuper2335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 12:40 AM   #4
Darkness9876
Algae Grower

In my paludarium, granted its a 90g, I used the same technique described above, I used a fluval 2 with a 3/8 ID oblong piece of vinyl tubing about 4 inches long to run out of some rocks. The tube is hidden and wasn't there in the beginning but it splashed water onto my land area and quickly filled it up.

I would just do this as you get aeration, filtration, and a pretty waterfall all in the same step. Just devise a way to hide it all and have a removable top to take out your filter and clean it.
Darkness9876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 12:42 AM   #5
Darkness9876
Algae Grower

Oh, i love how you said " I have 3 full water tanks"

Thats one of the signs of a terrarium, vivarium, or paludarium keepers.
Darkness9876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 01:07 AM   #6
cah925
Fear the Swamp!

PTrader: (173/100%)

I was considering this with a Whisper 10-30i, here's a link. This way I could have a waterfall and a filter all in one package. They come in various sizes depending on your application. The dimensions of the 10-30i are 10"H x 5"D x 4"W. I haven't finished mine yet so I don't have any pics, but I was planning on using Great Foam to go around the top and sides to hide it and then cover it with coco fiber to add to the realism.
cah925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 01:14 PM   #7
Twistedream
Algae Grower

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...3&pcatid=15403

Its a simple solution to your problem. Another really easy and fun project is to take a granite floor tile, smash it up in small pieces, and silicone it to the outside of a 10-30i filter, the pieces will all stack nicely as they have a uniform width.

I've done both in the past to dress up my frog tanks, and have been quite content with the outcome.
Twistedream is offline   Reply With Quote