29 g - Fast Freddie.. Rescaping 7/11 - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 11-16-2008, 09:59 PM   #16
fastfreddie
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)

How's this look? Exactly like your photoshop image. I know! You're pretty good at that. I don't know if I found the so called sweet spot, but it does look way better to me. People are gonna be sick of looking at this scape if I keep posting this many pictures!

And one more thing I just figured out. There is sunlight directly hitting my tank from the front door side window. (Is that called ambient light?) CRAAAP! It's only hitting it for about 1.5 hours but I fear that is way too much and would make algae right?

And a few more things:
Vicki, I will need someone to hold my hand when I plug up my regulator too, though I have hooked one to a kegarator before. LOL The stream you mentioned: Do you mean by adding sand coming out from under the wood? I hear that once you mix substrates you can just about never go back. True? I do love that look though.

ZTM: I think you're right on the toxin thing and I know what you mean about those snails. The multiply like Gremlins. Remember that movie?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2008, 11:19 PM   #17
Complexity
Pelvicachromis Lover!

PTrader: (34/100%)

I like it! (Of course, since it is exactly like the mockup I created! )

Don't worry about posting too many pictures. People won't get sick of it. You're not the first to post pictures and ask for suggestions like this, and you won't be the last, I'm sure.

I'll be more than happy to hold your hand when you connect your regulator. I very well remember what it was like for me when I first started.

As far as a river idea, I do not like mixing sand or any substrate. It never stays right, and as you said, it's impossible to separate afterwards. I was just thinking you wanted some kind of river running through the dw.

One problem I can already see is that most plants will grow tall enough to block the opening at the bottom of the dw. That would be a shame since it's a nice feature. So you might want to consider using a very low foreground plant like HC or Marsilea minuta. You can also raise the wood up a little once plants are grown enough to hide whatever you use to raise it. Plus, doing what you're doing by trying to keep the substrate low in that area helps, as well. Generally, the substrate will lose its shape, but once you get a network of roots holding it in place, you can re-slope the substrate with better luck of it staying put.

What I'm thinking is to have a foreground that starts at the hole in the dw and "spills out" to the front, forming a triangle with the point at the dw hole and bottom at the front of the tank. That way, you can better preserve the hole.

Then maybe some Crypts or something that forms a grassy clump (Blyxa japonica if you have enough light) on the far left side of the dw, just in front a little, curving to the back so it can be seen through the smaller part of that side of the dw.

Then something larger in the corner behind the dw with more plants filling in that area, going from large to smaller in height.

Balance that with taller plants on the right corner and back of the tank with gradually smaller height plants filling in towards the front.

Or something like that.
Vicki Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

90g - Journal Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' 75g - Journal Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red' Better Pics 8-24
29g - Journal Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' -- 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
5g - RCS colony 2.5g - Journal Retired
Complexity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2008, 02:03 AM   #18
ZooTycoonMaster
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfreddie View Post
ZTM: I think you're right on the toxin thing and I know what you mean about those snails. The multiply like Gremlins. Remember that movie?
I saw it like 3-5 years ago...so I don't really remember it

Remember, I'm only 13
Eheim Pimp #341

ZooTycoonMaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2008, 03:59 AM   #19
fastfreddie
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZooTycoonMaster View Post
I saw it like 3-5 years ago...so I don't really remember it

Remember, I'm only 13
Wow! You are one smart dude. When I was 13 I had a ten gallon and I think I changed the water once in about a year, but then again, there was no internet when I was 13, and my small town pet store specialized in cats.

I'm 30, so by the time you're my age you'll have some insane tanks!
Old 11-17-2008, 04:13 AM   #20
fastfreddie
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Vicki,
I like you're thinking!!!!! I've never heard of the Marsilea Minuta you mentioned for the low growing plant. I'll check that out right now.

You've got me so stoked thinking about this thing full of plants!!!! I'm plotting out my equipment purchase right now! BTW: I'm wide open to suggestions for regulators. Theres a lot out there! So when I swap out my lights, how many WPG should I shoot for. It seems almost like you can have TOO much light. I have a 65w coralife single linear strip, but that only adds up to 2.24 and I need a replacement lamp. I need a little more than that right? I still have the 72 watts from the nano cube lid you see on the tank right now, but its super ugly.

Thanks again to you and ZTM for all the guidance and encouragement. I hope I can contribute back to you guys one day. If not you personally, at least I can pass your knowledge down to some other poor beginner a few years from now.
Let me know what you guys think about the WPG.
Old 11-17-2008, 05:30 AM   #21
Complexity
Pelvicachromis Lover!

I have a TEK 4x54w fixture on my 75g which gives me 1.44wpg with 2 bulbs and 2.88wpg with all 4 bulbs running. The bulbs are T5 HO which are brighter than NO; plus, the TEK fixture has amazing reflectors. So the 2.88wpg is a big underrated for the real light this thing puts out.

With that fixture, I can only run 2 bulbs for 9 hours with the other 2 bulbs running for 5 hours. So I have 1 hr with 2 bulbs / 5 hours with 4 bulbs / 2 hours with 2 bulbs.

That kind of lighting is more than you'll ever need. And with that kind of lighting, you must use pressurized CO2 and be very religious on your EI ferts and water changes.

Now on my 29g, I'm going to have two dual T5 Aqualights. These bulbs are NO so the wpg is overrated when calculated. But with 2 bulbs, I'll have 1.25wpg and with all 4 bulbs, I'll get 2.5wpg. I'm going pressurized with this tank as well. I'm sure I'll be able to grow just about everything I want in that tank, as well.

So my recommendation is:
T5 bulbs, HO preferred over NO
2 sets of 2 bulbs preferred (so you can run 2 or 4 bulbs when needed)
with a target wpg of 2.5, give or take a few. No less than 2wpg and no more than 3wpg.

I hope that gives you a little help.

PS. HO = High Output, NO = Normal Output.
Vicki Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

90g - Journal Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' 75g - Journal Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red' Better Pics 8-24
29g - Journal Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' -- 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
Old 11-17-2008, 03:03 PM   #22
fastfreddie
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have a Tek 36" 4x39, but I let my cousin borrow it because it was BLINDING my cichlids (you can see one in my signature.) It was too big anyway.

Lighting:
Do you think there is a drawback of mixing a 65W Aqualight PC, and an Aqualight 2x18w NO T5 (this one)? This would be my cheapest option because I already have the 65w. They would both fit on the tank with 3+ inches to spare front to back. I think this would bring me to 3.48wpg, but as you mentioned, T5 NO''s are overrated. Would mixing T5 and PC light have a bad effect?

If this would be okay, should I go with the 18w Colormax/18w 6500k combo they offer or stick to two 6500K? I'm guessing the latter.

Maybe I just need to chill out and save up for a double PC or a T5 HO fixture, but CO2 is really taking the bulk of my savings effort.

Regulators:
Is this decent?
Milwaukee MA 957

If not, recommendations anyone? I'm still reading up on reactors/ diffusers/ drop checkers. I'm sure I'll have some questions on that when I get there. LOL

Hope everyone is having a good day! BTW, my wife came home from out of town. I showed her the new tank. (I was so excited.) She says" Can you paint the stand a different color? Where's the lid?" Not exactly what I was hoping for, but at least she wasn't mad. The dog however, really seems to like the tank.

Last edited by fastfreddie; 11-17-2008 at 03:10 PM.. Reason: wrong link
fastfreddie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2008, 04:25 AM   #23
Complexity
Pelvicachromis Lover!

There is no reason to have 3.48wpg. I have 2.88wpg, and can only run that for 5 hours. I cut that in half to increase viewing time another 3 hours. And even now, the GDA is coming back so I'll have to cut it back even further. If you had 3.48wpg, you'd gain nothing except more algae issues. My plants pearl like crazy with 2.88wpg. Look at my 75g pictures I have in my sig line, and then look at the same thread for the pictures before those. Note the number of days in between. Growth rate is outstanding at 2.88wpg. My P. stellatus (which requires very bright light) was growing at the rate of 1" every day!

That pretty much answers your other questions regarding mixing fixtures (no reason you can't) or what other fixture to buy. 65W on a 29g tank is plenty of light all by itself. I'd only change it if you don't like the heat coming from a PC fixture (I am biased towards T5 fixtures). If you just had to have more light, then get a single Aqualight T5. I think it's 18w. That would put you at a total of 83W which brings you to 2.86wpg. But, honestly, I don't see the need.

Start out with just the 65w fixture all by itself. If you find that your plants do not thrive, then and only then should you get more light. I think you'll find no need for it.

As far as regulators, everyone will have their favorites. I'm using the Milwaukee MA957 without any problems. I can't say it's the cheapest, but it does seem to be on the less expensive side of the ones I have seen.

As far as a reactor, you can build an excellent DIY "Rex Style" reactor for very little money. Here's a link: http://www.rexgrigg.com/diy-reactor.htm This is what I have so I know it works.

Your wife's comments sounds like something I would say! All my tanks must have cabinets that match the room's furniture (or at least doesn't clash), can't show nicks, scratches or water marks very easily, and absolutely must have a canopy to polish the overall look. If i didn't have to open and close the canopy lid so often, I'd have pictures, statues and flowers on top!

Your dog sounds like my cat. Yet another reason for having a canopy.

Funny note: When I moved my tanks into my house (I had a house and apartment, but have left the apartment and brought all my tanks to the house), my husband saw my 20L tank in the living room, and stopped to ask, "Is that a new aquarium?" To which I could honestly answer no. He scratched his head and then muttered to himself that he must have not paid enough attention to it at the apartment (he has ADD so this happens) and walked off.

The aquarium is not new. But the stand and canopy are!

I was perfectly honest in my answer. He just didn't ask the right question.

Old 11-19-2008, 01:33 PM   #24
fastfreddie
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Complexity View Post
Funny note: When I moved my tanks into my house (I had a house and apartment, but have left the apartment and brought all my tanks to the house), my husband saw my 20L tank in the living room, and stopped to ask, "Is that a new aquarium?" To which I could honestly answer no. He scratched his head and then muttered to himself that he must have not paid enough attention to it at the apartment (he has ADD so this happens) and walked off.

The aquarium is not new. But the stand and canopy are!

I was perfectly honest in my answer. He just didn't ask the right question.
That is too funny! My Dad traded a $10,000 Harley for a $25,000 Harley once without my Mom's consent. He came home and pulled in the driveway. She said, "Oh, you got a new seat on your bike." He was perfectly honest in his answer of "yes!"

Thank you again for the reply as always. I'm happy to know all I need to spend is $25 on a new lamp for the 65w to start with.

How is the 75 coming? You found your camera!!!!!! and I'm so sorry about your Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Kienke'. that is so sad.
Old 11-19-2008, 05:22 PM   #25
Complexity
Pelvicachromis Lover!

Answering directly to questions instead of elaborating is part of the secret to a successful marriage!

The tank is hanging in there. Ammonia levels are rising so I'm doing 20% water changes each day. I've ordered a whole bunch of plants that should help when they finally arrive.

My 'Kienke' is still showing the same symptoms and is hiding, but is otherwise not appearing to be worse (although, I'm not sure if he's getting fatter which may be dropsy). I've resigned myself that he will not make it and am trying to think positively since all the other fish are looking good. The loss of one guppy and one krib isn't so bad, all things considered. I'm just glad I won't have to deal with power losses from hurricanes or pending moves anytime soon so the tank will finally have a chance to stabilize.

Spending just $25 is great! That will give you a larger budget for plants, inverts and fish!

Old 11-27-2008, 08:50 PM   #26
ZooTycoonMaster
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)

Is it planted yet?
Eheim Pimp #341

ZooTycoonMaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2008, 05:15 PM   #27
fastfreddie
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZooTycoonMaster View Post
Is it planted yet?
Haha. Thanks for the check in! Short answer = NO

My angelfish and Clown Loach are swimming around in there with no friends or plants to play in. I think the angel actually finds the clown quite annoying. He's always giving him a look like, " If you don't quit following me around I'm gonna kill you!"

The long answer:
My Christmas list has got all the supplies for pressurized CO2, tank, reg, test kits, a new Hydor in-line heater, drop checker, diffuser, ferts, etc. My wife and her family are awesome at wish lists, so hopefully I'll get a lot of this and I'll have enough money to buy the rest. GLA is about to get some good business from my wife!

So, I've been "afraid" to buy plants and screw up the tank in the meantime.

Do you think I should go ahead and start building my plant mass up so when I crank up the lights and CO2 after Christmas, the tank might be cycled and healthy? If so, what plants might succeed in a low tech for now AND a high tech tank after the upgrade?

I am itchin' to get this thing planted so bad!

How is the 10 doin? I haven't seen any pics in a while.
Old 11-28-2008, 05:36 PM   #28
cah925
Fear the Swamp!

PTrader: (173/100%)

I just read through your thread here and I'm in love with that wood you have. So many plants run through my head of different things you can do with it once you get all your equip. Orlando at GLA is a great guy and can answer just about any question you have. He's been busy adding videos to his website for CO2 setup. They may come in handy for you when you're ready to set everything up.
I'm a little concerned about that clown loach, it will definately outgrow your 29 gal tank. If you want to add some low-tech plants for now, try Java Fern, Limnophilia sessiflora, Hygrophila difformis, Hygrophila polysperma, anubias, crypts, and mosses. I've had success with all these in low light, low fert tanks & high tech tanks. I think the 65W PC bulb will be more than enough for this tank.
cah925 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2008, 05:41 PM   #29
@marko@
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (57/100%)

you could also try any floating plant (duckweed, water hycanth, red root floater, etc.), hornwort (its a floater but its a stem), and moss. you could also float riccia, and then anchor it when you get CO2. you could plant lotuses and swords and vals, too.
Old 11-28-2008, 05:51 PM   #30
fastfreddie
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cah925 View Post
I just read through your thread here and I'm in love with that wood you have. So many plants run through my head of different things you can do with it once you get all your equip. Orlando at GLA is a great guy and can answer just about any question you have. He's been busy adding videos to his website for CO2 setup. They may come in handy for you when you're ready to set everything up.
I'm a little concerned about that clown loach, it will definately outgrow your 29 gal tank. If you want to add some low-tech plants for now, try Java Fern, Limnophilia sessiflora, Hygrophila difformis, Hygrophila polysperma, anubias, crypts, and mosses. I've had success with all these in low light, low fert tanks & high tech tanks.
Thanks for the advice! I think I will go ahead and get started with some of the plants you mentioned. Once my CO2 is up and running, I think my definites are Blyxa, Creeping Jenny, Hygrophila difformis, HM, and some type of rotala, and many others TBD.

Thanks for the heads up on the GLA videos too! Pressurized gas is a little scary considering I've already almost burned up a rug with just a submersible heater once (yeah) . But in all honesty, I'm not too worried.

Freddie

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.