6g eclipse newbie
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 06-19-2004, 11:13 AM   #1
Glow500
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

6g eclipse newbie

hello,
i am new to having a planted tank with a fluorite*sp?* substrate and tropical freshwater fish. i did not kno how dusty the stuff was, my question is i already have the fish and plants in the tank, but the water is still cloudy, should i do a 10% water change a week to help clear it up?

also the water turbulence seems to much for the betta thats in there and i was thinking of adding more live plants or some decor such as drift wood, or both to try an slow it down to where it seems there is none. also the betta's fins look kinda bad, they r stuck together/twisted near the ends, could anyone help me out on that also on whats up with him?

i kno some of this stuff is out of place sorry about that.
Glow500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2004, 12:25 PM   #2
Shay
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)

Hey Glow!

Welcome. I have a similar setup for my betta. Your right the filter is definitly too strong for the little guys. I took out the eclipse filter and replaced it with a mini duetto 50 submersible. You can adjust the water flow on this filter to accomodate your betta.

I do a 40-50% water change weekly (sometimes bi-weekly) on my 6 gallon. I would at least try to do 30%. 10% is like topping off and does not hep remove enough contaminants.

I do not know what is wrong with your betta although sometimes twisted finnage on a betta can be a sign of old age. You might want to consider adding a medication called bettamax as a phrophalactic measure. It will turn your water blue for a while but it will help to get rid of any nasties he may be carrying.

Good luck.

Shay
4 X 65 coralife light
Pressurized CO2

Member of The Delaware Valley Aquatic Gardener's Association (www.dvaga.com), GWAPA and AGA.
Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 04:08 AM   #3
Daemonfly
Planted Tank Obsessed

When I had my 6g, I put a coarse sponge on the output. This helped ease the flow into the tank quite a bit.

As for the dust, when I used flourite, I'd load the filter with some floss/poly-fill and it would be cleared up overnight.
Daemonfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 06:26 PM   #4
Glow500
Algae Grower

ok, thx for the help, the water cleared up in about 1 1/2 days give or take, the betta looks like he is handling himself pretty good even tho the flow makes him swim a bit.

guys have any suggestions on what other plants i should add to this tank or lighting, ect?
Glow500 is offline   Reply With Quote