Beginner needs help with plant selection on 4 gallon finnex
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 11-14-2008, 03:44 AM   #1
merk1_99
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

Beginner needs help with plant selection on 4 gallon finnex

Hi I am a beginner to the freshwater planted world. I need help choosing plants for a 4 gallon finnex gallon tank. The tank comes with the stock 13 watt light. The tank will contain a single betta. I would like to add another fish but realize that probably is an impossibility. I am confused whether the 13 watt light makes the tank a low light tank or a medium light tank. Since wpg is useless on a smaller tank. I am guessing I will make a DIY CO2 system at some point. The substrate will be eco-complete. Help me choose some plants for the fore, mid, and background. Also can someone point me to good online vendors. The local LFS's do not have a good stock of plants or knowlegable staff.

TIA
merk1_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2008, 02:32 PM   #2
merk1_99
Algae Grower

Ok. I have formulated a plant list. I need help weeding out the ones that will not do well with the stock 13 watt pc light. It is obvious in a 4 gallon tank I do not need all of the species. For right now I am thinking 3 different species for the back, 3-4 mid, 2-3 front. Or is that many species to much?

Foreground:
Anubias nana
Lilaeopsis novae-zelandiae--micro sword
Nymphoides aquatica--banana plant
Eleocharis acicularis--dwarf hairgrass

Mid:
Ceratopteris thalictroides--water sprite
Rotala macranda--rotala magenta
Ludwigia repens--ludwigia broad

Background:
Egeria densa--anacharis
Hygrophila difformis--wisteria
Myriophyllum pinnatum--myrio green
Myriophyllum heterophyllum--myrio red
Echinodorus rubin--red rubin
Cabomba caroliniana--cabomba
Old 11-14-2008, 02:41 PM   #3
luckydud13
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)

You might need more light.....
luckydud13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 06:35 PM   #4
merk1_99
Algae Grower

I realize I may need more light in the future but for now this is what I have to work with. I don't want to invest $100 in lighting now if I am only going to fail. I have already looked at a fixture that has 2 18 watt pc bulbs....But for now can I grow these plants? I tried to find only plants that were easy/ low to medium light.
Old 11-14-2008, 07:29 PM   #5
dewalltheway
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (134/99%)

This is a small tank so I would stick to some small plants. Some of them you have grow to big for such a small tank. If you want to use the Anubius nana in the front I would go with the petite nanas. I would go with a micro sword or blyxa for midground and a rotala species for the background. It will be very hard for you to grow Rotala macranda w/o pressurized CO2 so I would stick to rotala colorata or indica or even a bacopa. Small tank, small leaves will make it look bigger then it is. Even HM would look good in this tank.
Old 11-14-2008, 07:56 PM   #6
NeonShrimp
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (140/100%)

dewalltheway is correct and has some good tips.

Could you please post pictures of your tank as you go along.

I too have a 4 gallon finnex that I have not set up and am not sure what I am going to do with it...
Old 11-15-2008, 08:19 PM   #7
merk1_99
Algae Grower

I am going to attemot to document this tank. Tank and substrate arrive Monday. I did manage to find another 18 watt pc light I forgot I had. So if the 13 watt doesn't provide enough I will add it. Just working on a good online site for plants. I did find a store that was selling aquatic plants but they looked suspect. Worst case scenario I will get get 2-3 of those plants and add to the tank till I make my mind up.
Old 11-15-2008, 08:48 PM   #8
NeonShrimp
Wannabe Guru

merk1 99, I will be following your post closely and hope all goes well with the setup.

When Swap n Shop is running again you can post the plants wanted and get them from fellow members. This is the safer and better way to do it, make sure you read the PTrader feedback before buying though (it should be multiple current and possitive ratings).

Later...
Old 11-16-2008, 05:35 PM   #9
merk1_99
Algae Grower

All right the tank, light, filter, and substrate are all do in on Tuesday. I went down to the river and pulled a few rocks for the tank. I do have a driftwood pc just not sure if I will use the driftwood or rocks till I get the tank filled. Anyways can't wait.

Here is my revised plant list so far going to order them in a day or two.

fore:
anubias nana dwarf
Eleocharis parvulus dwarf hairgrass

mid:
Nymphoidea aquatica
Blyxa japonica dwarf asian grass

back:
Rotala indica narrowleaf
Bacopa caroliniana-amplex broadleaf

What can I do to make sure they do not have snails or other baddies? I have read 1 part bleach to 19-20 parts water for 1-2mins. My tank is most likely not goin to have fish to eliminate pests....
Old 11-16-2008, 05:55 PM   #10
NeonShrimp
Wannabe Guru

Looks like everything is coming together for you

I have not tried to eliminate all snails from my tank but I have heard the bleach treatment is a way to remove them from plants before you add them to the tank.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:31 PM   #11
merk1_99
Algae Grower

Well the tank arrived today cracked. Now the vendor is sending me out a new one so I won't see it till Monday or Tuesday. Just called my wife about my other order which has my 20lbs of Eco Complete and ferts. Of course she tells me it is on the porch because water is pooling under the box. So my guess is the Eco Complete bag is shot....I have no tank to put the ECO in till the new one gets here. Will my substrate magic bacteria now go bad? Would you complain to Dr. Foster and Smith or just let it go? Now I have to hold back ordering my plants till I know for sure when the tank will arrive....Even though the tank is broken it still looks pretty slick.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:35 PM   #12
merk1_99
Algae Grower

Looking at the tank I am guessing 20lbs will be over kill on the ECO. Boy is it a small tank. I looked at and ECO-system 3 and it looks larger because of the hood. I did measure the dims and they are correct....
Old 11-18-2008, 06:37 PM   #13
NeonShrimp
Wannabe Guru

That is some bad news, sorry. Check the ECO and if it is still alright sotre it in a bucket, if not then have Dr. F&S replace it. I agree these tanks are pretty slick. Keep us updated.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:40 PM   #14
dewalltheway
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (134/99%)

I had a bag come from them broke as well and if you call their customer service and tell them the bag broke they will send you another one right away. They are very good about those things. They didn't even want the bag they sent back so I ended up with an extra bag that I used.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:42 PM   #15
merk1_99
Algae Grower

How do I know if the ECO is still alright?

I hope this early trouble isn't signs for trouble to come...

To think I only wanted to make a betta more comfy....

Too bad they stopped make the Finnex 8 because I want one of those too,,,,