Building a small rimless tank.. (15G)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > DIY

Old 04-20-2011, 02:36 AM   #1
fishykid1
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Arrow

Building a small rimless tank.. (15G)

Hey everyone,

As a DIY project and something I've wanted to try for some time now.

I want to try my hand at building a rimless tank. I'm already buying glass for another project...It'll cost about 25$...

Demensions would be 24"X12"X12"

I would be using 1/4" tempered glass

for sizes of glass i would do

(3X) 24"X12" (front, back, bottom)
(2X) 11 1/2" X 12" (sides)

does anyone see this being a problem?

Last edited by fishykid1; 04-20-2011 at 02:06 PM..
fishykid1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2011, 03:14 AM   #2
Baadboy11
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)

I'm no help, but where did you get your glass out of curiosity?
Old 04-20-2011, 03:26 AM   #3
fishykid1
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baadboy11 View Post
I'm no help, but where did you get your glass out of curiosity?

Just a local glass shop about 20 minutes from my house.

This place does glass cutting by the sq ft ranging in sizes and what not.

www.glasscages.com

Why pay shipping though if you have a place locally?
Old 04-20-2011, 01:08 PM   #4
fishykid1
Wannabe Guru

Anyone see a problem with using plain old plate glass? ADA uses plate glass in most of their small rimless tanks, I believe?

It's 1/4" glass which is pretty thick considering my 75G uses 3/8" glass
Old 04-20-2011, 01:19 PM   #5
Geniusdudekiran
Prodigious Plant Pundit

PTrader: (44/100%)

Yes, that should work, I've been thinking about this for a while.

You should use masking tape to build the actual tank and hold it together, so you have an unshifting seam where you can run the silicone. Then I think you take your fingertip and run it along the silicone to gather excess (all in a straight line) and I've heard that rubbing alcohol is good for keeping the silicone from sticking to your fingers.

Good luck, and keep us posted on the tank! I wanna make a Mini-M this summer (well not really, just the same dimensions LOL) and the money I'll save on the tank can go towards making it high tech. Good luck!
Old 04-20-2011, 01:36 PM   #6
fishykid1
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geniusdudekiran View Post
Yes, that should work, I've been thinking about this for a while.

You should use masking tape to build the actual tank and hold it together, so you have an unshifting seam where you can run the silicone. Then I think you take your fingertip and run it along the silicone to gather excess (all in a straight line) and I've heard that rubbing alcohol is good for keeping the silicone from sticking to your fingers.

Good luck, and keep us posted on the tank! I wanna make a Mini-M this summer (well not really, just the same dimensions LOL) and the money I'll save on the tank can go towards making it high tech. Good luck!

I have a couple pieces of glass from an old 20G tank that was taken apart. (It was 30 years old and at the time my dad wouldn't let me try to re-seal it.) So I have a few pieces to mess with! YAY!
Old 04-20-2011, 01:41 PM   #7
Sushil
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Hello Fishykid1;

from the measurements shown it appears that you will be setting the side glasses on top of the bottom glass.

the measurements as shown for the front, back and bottom is perfect, however, the side glasses should be 12 inches less the glass thickness on each side as this glass will be sandwiched in between the front and the back glass. the top side of the side glass too needs to be cut less the glass thickness as this will make it a rimless tank. However, you can add braces to your tank on the inside bottom flushed to the sides by gluing glass strips about an inch wide and say 30 inches in length to the front and back glass to the bottom glass and also to the sides maybe 1 inch by 20 inches. This will make the tank take the water pressure and will work well as a rimless tank.

Most important will be the sealing with the silicon glue. See to it the you apply quite liberally and after attaching the panes together tie them together from the outside by means of some elastic strapping and keep it tied for a day.

the next day run a beading of glue on the insides and evenly apply them with a gloved finger for smoothness.

Most important to remember in a rimless glass the effect is best seen if the water is right till the top (spill level).

BR/Sushil
Old 04-20-2011, 02:06 PM   #8
fishykid1
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushil View Post
Hello Fishykid1;

from the measurements shown it appears that you will be setting the side glasses on top of the bottom glass.

the measurements as shown for the front, back and bottom is perfect, however, the side glasses should be 12 inches less the glass thickness on each side as this glass will be sandwiched in between the front and the back glass. the top side of the side glass too needs to be cut less the glass thickness as this will make it a rimless tank. However, you can add braces to your tank on the inside bottom flushed to the sides by gluing glass strips about an inch wide and say 30 inches in length to the front and back glass to the bottom glass and also to the sides maybe 1 inch by 20 inches. This will make the tank take the water pressure and will work well as a rimless tank.

Most important will be the sealing with the silicon glue. See to it the you apply quite liberally and after attaching the panes together tie them together from the outside by means of some elastic strapping and keep it tied for a day.

the next day run a beading of glue on the insides and evenly apply them with a gloved finger for smoothness.

Most important to remember in a rimless glass the effect is best seen if the water is right till the top (spill level).

BR/Sushil
My measurements are minus the glass thickness... the tank bottom will be 12X24" the sides will be 12 - 1/2" (for both 1/4" pieces) = 11 1/2" x 12"tall.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:13 PM   #9
HolyAngel
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Send a message via AIM to HolyAngel

I just had an acrylic tank custom built to that exact size for me, cost me a *very* pretty penny tho, lot more than $25. ^^

Tank should be awesome when it's done, good luck!
Old 04-20-2011, 02:20 PM   #10
fishykid1
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HolyAngel View Post
I just had an acrylic tank custom built to that exact size for me, cost me a *very* pretty penny tho, lot more than $25. ^^

Tank should be awesome when it's done, good luck!

I bet! Acrylic is expensive to begin with.

The guy is quoting me for some other glass too, so maybe I'll get a discount

I think these demensions will give a relatively nice layout. I may try out aqua-soil since it'll be a smaller tank... 2X3L bags should be plenty. I have pretty much everything else I need including light, filter, plants, and fish. Hopefully he can have the pieces cut today so I can possibly start building this tank before I have to go to TN... Parent permitting of course

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.