What do you think???
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 11-11-2008, 03:18 PM   #1
Rain-bow-head

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question

What do you think???

Hello Planted Tank!

Iíve lingered through these forums for almost a month now, and Iíve decided to convert my 10g breeder into a planted low-tech. Here are my plans:

Substrate: 7kg (15lbs) Flourite Black Sand (This should give me about 2Ē depth)
Filter: AquaClear 20 Power Filter (should I be concerned that this filter may interfere w/ my co2 injection?)
co2 injection : diy w/ one 2l bottle and Hagen Plant Gro co2 bubble Counter (diffuser)
Lights: Currently have one T8 15w, but looking to upgrade to T5 (is it worth buying a brand new fixture or will a new bulb suffice?)
Powerhead: Iím interested in developing a small current in the tank, but afraid it would be too overkill with the filter I have. Any suggestions??

Iím starting this tank to gain experience so that I may plant my 55g community aquarium successfully in the future. Iím looking at covering the substrate w/ HC and planting other things over time. Iím also interested in adding various shrimp species (it seems like a lot of members here love them!). With regards to fish, I might add a school of tetras, but my main goal is to attract all the attention towards the aquascaping.

If anyone has any comments/ suggestions about my set-up or ideas please let me know.

Thanks
Rain-bow-head is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2008, 03:33 PM   #2
Homer_Simpson
Wannabe Guru

Your plan looks good. You can always run the hose from your DIY c02 to the inlet of the HOB filter intake tube.

I would forgo, the DIY c02 and go with Excel for the carbon source. I can only speak from my own experience and cannot speak for other peoples' experiences. I found that with Excel vs DIY C02, the plant grown exceeded my expectations and I had no algae issues to boot. DIY C02 instead of Excel did not give me better results. It was also less of a hassle using Excel as I did not have to change yeast/sugar/water mix weekly just to keep c02 levels stable.

Just my 2 pesos worth.
Homer_Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 03:52 PM   #3
Rain-bow-head

I appreciate your input and understand your method, however, I truly believe choosing your method, and becoming good at that. I have extensive practice with diy co2 and can maintain a constant flow. Furthermore, I'm not really an enthusiast of adding ferts and/or other dosages to my aquariums. I want the natural bio-load of the fish to maintain those aspects.

Am I asking for too much? Should I just suck-it-up and start w/ excel?