shy discus
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 11-11-2008, 04:56 AM   #1
govols83
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

shy discus

hi all! so, I picked up my first two discus yesterday at my lfs and I love them. I had a question though, they seem to hide under my driftwood most of the time, but do occasionally come out into the open every once in a while. Whenever I walk by the tank, they immediately go back into hiding. I've heard this is normal behavior for the first couple of weeks, but feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
govols83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2008, 05:09 AM   #2
Ebichua
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (82/100%)

Perfectly fine, once you start feeding, they'll start to recognize you as a good thing. Next thing you know, they'll be swimming to you whenever you walk near them. Even if you aren't feeding! :-P
Ebichua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 06:10 AM   #3
Crystalview
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (20/100%)

Very normal. Mine still will hide if we move to fast in front of them. When they were the size of a small egg they hide more then I saw them. Then I started feeding Live Ca black worms. Now they love me and only hide if I am wearing a dark shirt. But that is the fun you never know what they will do. So much more busy as adults. My pair is playing mating games today. So they will have eggs soon. They are in a community tank so I don't expect fry.
75g, pair of Blue Rams plus baby, 4 3"discus, 12ADF's, 96w 6700k-light 8hrs, No C02, Excel, EI dry macro's and micro's, Eheim 2126, 18w UV, 2 Nano 270 powerhead. wall of bubbles for more O2 for such a deep tank.
Crystalview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 07:32 AM   #4
Stevie D
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/75%)

THe more time you spend with your discus, the more friendly they become. Also having plants/driftwood where they can escape to if they feel threatened will actually make them more comfortable and they will be out more.

If you were to get an autofeeder and not really spend time with them, they would almost always hide when people are around. You will find that once they get to know you, you can't make them hide if you try!

Perfectly normal for them to take a week or two, or possible longer before they warm up to you and get used to their environment. THey might not eat all that well for a few day as well.

Stevie D
Stevie D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 08:21 AM   #5
deleted_user_16
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
Send a message via AIM to deleted_user_16

how big is the tank and are there tankmates?
deleted_user_16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 04:27 AM   #6
govols83
Algae Grower

75 gallon tank.

1 zebra danio
6 glowlight danio
1 gold algea eater
about 25 neons and cardinals

will be adding a couple yo yo loaches soon
Old 11-12-2008, 02:59 PM   #7
seAdams
Planted Tank Obsessed

I would remove the "gold algae eater", which is probably the gold form of the CAE.

As it grows it will stop eating algae and become aggressive which will distress your discus.
seAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 05:37 PM   #8
Crystalview
Planted Tank Enthusiast

IMO The Yo Yo's will be active enough like most loaches. I have Sids which are really active and the Discus ignore them. I would add oto's for the algae. CAE can be mean and as said above they stop eating algae after awhile.
75g, pair of Blue Rams plus baby, 4 3"discus, 12ADF's, 96w 6700k-light 8hrs, No C02, Excel, EI dry macro's and micro's, Eheim 2126, 18w UV, 2 Nano 270 powerhead. wall of bubbles for more O2 for such a deep tank.
Old 11-12-2008, 09:47 PM   #9
govols83
Algae Grower

while we're on the subject, I was wanting to add some shrimp to also help with algae. What would everyone recommend?
Old 11-12-2008, 10:19 PM   #10
Crystalview
Planted Tank Enthusiast

My little sids love shrimp for lunch. I bet the yoyo's do too.
Old 11-12-2008, 10:32 PM   #11
soundtweakers
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

if you have a 75 gallon, I would recommend getting a few more discus of the same size while the two in the tank are still shy. It's much easier on the new fish if the existing discus has not develop their territory within the tank. If you keep only two, eventually one of them will dominent over the other.

I've got 2 1/2 yrs old and 1 1/2 yrs old discus living in my tank, and they follow me(as well as my daughter and wife) around if we're anywhere near the tank.

Oh yes, make sure they eat, I've lost a few in the past because of them hiding for extended period of time and not getting enough to eat.
soundtweakers is offline   Reply With Quote