Finnex 4 - Algae, help! - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 11-26-2008, 12:29 AM   #16
pbfreakon
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by connordude27 View Post
cool tank i like the driftwood
thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollface View Post
Should get some moss on that driftwood, and then let it all grow in.
I really love your vertical placement of the driftwood, you dont see that to often.
I'm hoping to track down some mini pellia soonish, I'm home on break for the week so sometime next week possibly. I also want to add some downoi around the bottom of the wood, that plant is so cool.
pbfreakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2008, 12:32 AM   #17
Tex Gal
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (78/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Tex Gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbfreakon View Post
I'm hoping to track down some mini pellia soonish, I'm home on break for the week so sometime next week possibly. I also want to add some downoi around the bottom of the wood, that plant is so cool.
That's a hard one to find. Manini has some in his fish store in Hawaii. It took me 6 months to find. I've heard there is some a aquaforest but they are hard to get ahold of . Good luck.

Glad your glosso made it!

95g Rimless

Tex Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 03:18 AM   #18
pbfreakon
Algae Grower

Well, it's been awhile and I've got small update for you all. I moved the tank home for the holidays and in the process leveled the substrate, covering a lot of glosso. So I decided to rescape, again. Also, I had a good visit from santa and he left me some new stuff!

501 and pfertz!

Here's a full shot of the tank now. It's kind of depressing that every picture of my tank looks like it's just been set up

Old 12-30-2008, 03:30 AM   #19
Phoenix-cry
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

The driftwood is very nice and it looks very clean!
Phoenix-cry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 03:59 AM   #20
pbfreakon
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix-cry View Post
The driftwood is very nice and it looks very clean!
Thanks!

I meant to ask for some help deciding what to add. I want something to put around the base of the wood, I was thinking downoi would look good. I also kind of want something taller, maybe a rotala? Would a stem work in my tank?
Old 12-30-2008, 04:04 AM   #21
Phoenix-cry
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Rotala is normally seen as high light, but my friend has med to low light and very happy Rot and it looks great.

Perhaps a rock or petrified bit of wood?
Old 12-30-2008, 04:12 AM   #22
pbfreakon
Algae Grower

Quote:
Rotala is normally seen as high light, but my friend has med to low light and very happy Rot and it looks great.

Perhaps a rock or petrified bit of wood?
I'd thought about adding a rock, but I think I'll wait til the glosso grows in to decide.

As for rotala being high light, I'm running the stock 13w and the 27w hampton bay at the moment. This might be a terrible idea...lol, but it has been fine for over two weeks now. I figure since the two are crammed over the tank I'm probably losing some of the light, so it isn't way overkill.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:38 AM   #23
rekles75
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (104/100%)

Oh yea, I like the new DW placement. Good choice.

55 GAL #1---55 GAL #2 ---10 GAL---4 GAL Finnex---ALL SCAPES HAVE BEEN RETIRED.
rekles75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 06:18 AM   #24
hilikus16
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Thats a good looking tank i cant wait to see it grow in.

Just curious, when you said your substrate leveled out after you moved your tank, was this on purpose or because of the move home? I'm moving my tank back to college in about a week and i was afraid that would happen. My plan is to take all but and inch or two of the water out so it's not sloshing around everywhere...i hope this works.
hilikus16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 06:50 AM   #25
Kayen
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well you keep rescaping, it was looking good before, but nice restart ;D .
Old 12-30-2008, 02:08 PM   #26
Phoenix-cry
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilikus16 View Post

Just curious, when you said your substrate leveled out after you moved your tank, was this on purpose or because of the move home? I'm moving my tank back to college in about a week and i was afraid that would happen. My plan is to take all but and inch or two of the water out so it's not sloshing around everywhere...i hope this works.
If you have the tank in a car when you start and stop the water is going to slosh even with only an inch of water and the force is going to flatten your sub. I don't know anyway to stop that from happening. Maybe if you could get a big heap of java moss you can fill the waterspace with moss to keep the sloshing down.
Old 12-30-2008, 02:11 PM   #27
btmarquis
Algae Grower

Cool tank! I have the same one, but its not set up yet. I like that filter. Are the hoses 13mm?
btmarquis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 03:23 PM   #28
Cocobid
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)

I have had this tank for about a year after a few months the light that came with it stopped and ordered a coralife 18W. Bought a 1/3 piece of glass and placed it over tank. How do you like the 501 ZooMed? I just ordered 2 for the nano's. I really wanted a small canister for this and I love Eheims but I just could not justify for a 4G. But will keep looking for some used ones that are small. In the mean time will try the 501's. Have you run C02 through yours?
Your tank is looking good!!! I am finding Tiny tanks are challenging to scape. I have rescaped mine several times.
Beyond that...just gave up counting vessels
2232~~Eheim Pimp Club#261
Cocobid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 03:50 PM   #29
pbfreakon
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekles75 View Post
Oh yea, I like the new DW placement. Good choice.
Thanks! I like it a lot better than the first placement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilikus16 View Post

Phoenix pretty much answered it, but I'm not sure you can really avoid it. I think no matter how much water is in there things will still level out with all the bumps and vibrations. Kinda sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viettxboii View Post
Well you keep rescaping, it was looking good before, but nice restart ;D .
When I move back to school I think I'll do what I can to keep it the same. If the substrate levels out again, which I'm sure it will, I'll try to carefully restore the slope and uncover everything. I like it a lot more now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by btmarquis View Post
Cool tank! I have the same one, but its not set up yet. I like that filter. Are the hoses 13mm?
I believe they are 10mm hoses, but I'm not positive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocobid View Post
I have had this tank for about a year after a few months the light that came with it stopped and ordered a coralife 18W. Bought a 1/3 piece of glass and placed it over tank. How do you like the 501 ZooMed? I just ordered 2 for the nano's. I really wanted a small canister for this and I love Eheims but I just could not justify for a 4G. But will keep looking for some used ones that are small. In the mean time will try the 501's. Have you run C02 through yours?
Your tank is looking good!!! I am finding Tiny tanks are challenging to scape. I have rescaped mine several times.
Well, in the week that I've owned it there have been no problems. It was easy to set up, it's quiet, and filters much better than the HOB that came with the tank. I haven't run Co2 through the outflow, and probably won't because the pipes are so small and I don't want to lose any flow if I don't have to. I guess only time will tell, but it seems like a solid product and plenty of filter for 4 gallons.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:56 PM   #30
hilikus16
Planted Member

Quote:
If you have the tank in a car when you start and stop the water is going to slosh even with only an inch of water and the force is going to flatten your sub. I don't know anyway to stop that from happening. Maybe if you could get a big heap of java moss you can fill the waterspace with moss to keep the sloshing down.
Thanks for the info. I guess i could just tilt my aquarium back in my seat a little bit so that when it flattens out it will still actually be at an angle?
hilikus16 is offline   Reply With Quote